OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what would an electrical DIY be without some ELECTRICAL problems right? I have a short somewhere on my icecap 660 that I took off my canopy, the one that I KNOW was working fine. As soon as I plug it in, it POPS the breaker, something FIERCE! The 430 that I bought used is working fine though.

I will have to track down the problem tomorrow, as I have to be to work at 3AM! (Did I ever mention how much I HATE overtime!)

I guess tomorrow is going to be a CLOUDY day on the tank, I have no lights to put over it!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that is it...

Here are some pictures from today:

418573188_4cJud-L.jpg

Any Ideas?

418575695_T4FF2-L.jpg

Does this help?

418574366_o69gQ-L.jpg

That should give it away! It took me almost 2 hours to do all 12. :mad:

418575019_nBa33-L.jpg

Mounted in the fixture.

418576769_TGpW9-L.jpg

Test "firing" of the 660, it worked fine... Until I "cleaned up" the wiring. :mad: I must have nicked a wire, or shorted something... It doesn't work anymore.

418578032_xEs5L-L.jpg

Ballasts mounted!

418578616_cLu38-L.jpg

All six endcaps in place on each side.

418579972_Bw7fJ-L.jpg

This is what the completed fixture will look like... I need to clean the reflectors still, and maybe replace a couple. The Tek 2's that I have are pretty wide, and are difficult to get into the new fixture. I purchased some switches too, but those are not in there yet, and I have to think of something for the fans power adapter, the one that came with the icecap fan is to big to fit into the canopy.

All things considered, I made a lot of progress, now I need to make some more!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jason, I was going to leave it open, as it is going to be 3 or 4 inches off the water, just like they were before.

cbau45

I like to reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very nice Mike!!! I'll have to come down and check this little project out in person. Can't wait to see the finished product. I may have you help me with a lighting project for the 150 next summer, interested??

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Craig! You are certainly welcome to come by. Sure, I'd be happy to help with the 150, this is my first project involving any type of sheet metal, and it has been a much larger PITA then I expected it to be. I have learned quite a bit about bending and brushing Al sheet though, as well as hole to cut little square holes in Al sheet with a dremel, and that IceCap doesn't leave room for a nut to be placed in front of the connector on the 430 or 660 ballasts. I've also learned the stainless steel hardware is WAY more expensive then regular screws... but I should have known that.

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin awesome Mike! Now you just need to skin the stand in Alum to make it match

:haha:

PS
Love the high quality pix of the build, its like you're a photographer or something :tongue:

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Andy! Hopefully I will be able to find the short on my 660 quickly when I get home from work. I also have a couple of switches to add, and I need to drill a hole and add a grommet for the fan power supply. I was really hoping to have that internal as well.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple anyway:

419362806_zSpJa-L.jpg

This shows the 2x4 that is holding up the fixture until I can get a second set of sun lifts.

419363259_yXb8E-L.jpg

And the obligatory full tank shot. (Still no pulleys! ;) )

I do have to think of a solution for the light leakage from between the fixture and the tank, it is rather bright from the couch!

VanGogh121

Melba Toast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, That is Schweet, I would love to do the same thing with my canopy
How much did it cost in materials?

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, That is Schweet, I would love to do the same thing with my canopy
How much did it cost in materials?

Thanks Rich! The Aluminum sheets cost me about $70, the stainless steel screws were WAY more expensive then I planned on, I would say nearly $40 total. I also bought a piece of Al channel for $7, so I guess $120 would be a fair guess. I also had to buy some tools, and electrical fittings, grommets, etc... but that came in at less then $20, except the drill bits and hole saws.

Wow!! SWEET canopy!!:haha::haha:

Thanks! I am sure it will look better once I put the finishing touches on it.

jasonstan

acan lover & proud of it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, are you going to leave it silver or paint it black or someother color ?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, the other thing that works really good for making it look brushed is scotch bright pads.

just be sure to stright, and in one direction. Otherwise it will just look all scratched up.

If i wasnt for being so busy at work, id shoot up there and give you a hand.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jason, I am going to leave it Aluminum!

Jr, I did use the scotch brite pads, for about 2 hours! It was a real PITA, and I need to do some more here and there, but I had to get the light back on the tank last night, I didn't want the corals to go 2 days without light.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have skills my friend!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev! I have some black nylon netting type fabric that I am going to use to cover the vent holes on each side, and I have to change out one of the bulbs for another "blue" of some sort, I broke one of my pure actinics taking it out of the old canopy.

I am also thinking of making an acrylic shield for the light, for 2 reasons, it would let me lower the light closer to the water, and it would force the air to be drawn from the ends, and over the bulbs. (This should give an even greater cooling effect.)

I also have to get some weather stripping, and maybe some Dynamat material, the fans being attached directly to the Al sheet make them rather loud. I am thinking a little vibration isolation would quiet them down a LOT!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back