My dealings with AEFW...

phys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, not new here, but first thread start. I just noticed yesterday something I've dealt with before and so here is what I saw leading up to finding acro eating flatworms, how I identified the issue, and how I have intially dealt with it.

The last few weeks I've noticed some of my acros starting to appear to bleach. It was a slow issue so initally i thought it was parameters, water change issues, or lighting... I raised my lights, changed the water, and checked parameters. No change. Things KIND OF grew, but not as quickly and the branches were much thinner. I started looking closer and noticed the tell tale sign of small circular marks on the corals..... AEFW were munching them. Not noticable at first since the munching occurred at the base of the branches. In time they became apparent as they moved onto the branches.

I have had to deal with these before. Last night i was out of coral dip and it was late. I sacrificed a colony to see if my ID was right... i dipped it in cold fresh water and within 10 seconds, flat worms started falling off. Confirmed.

In the past, several years ago, i found that Revive by two little fishes worked to kill the worms. I purchased some today at my LFS and went to work. I removed every single SPS colony and dipped them one by one. It takes about 5 minutes for the worms to begin to fall off and die. Shaking the coral as they do will help remove them. 10 minute minimum for dipping to make sure theyre all snagged from the crevices.

As i was waiting for a bit longer, I would closely inspect the corals for small reddish blotches of egg sacs. It's vital to get these as they'll just hatch in a week or two and re-infect your tank. I'm confident i was able to get all of them as they'll be laid primarily on the corals themselves in shaded areas. One acro was covered underneath with them. I decided that one wasn't safe to try to keep so it went in the bin. The eggs can be scraped off in a very rough manner so they would be destroyed and not allowed to transport though contamination.

The corals would be dipped and then rinsed in a separate bin while being shaken to make sure no others were still attached. They remained in another bin until i would put them back in. Each coral dipping would be with new tank water and new revive... 4 caps per gallon.

I tested a hypothesis that the worms are primarily on the corals and not on rocks so i dipped several rocks and none were found on those. I also dipped a few other non-acro, hard corals and none were found on those.

I used tank water for the dipping of all the corals to help maintain some parameters and so i could perform a water change immediately after finishing the dip process. Also changed out my carbon to help pull any leftover dip and any other pollutants from things dying on the rocks during the dips that didnt get washed off.

I used this process with my last bout and never had an issue afterwards (until now of course but no corals are the same)... i hope this is the case once again but i am ready at least to do a repeat in a week if i see any other signs and will dip a couple test corals over the next few weeks to double check.

Hope this helps with others having similar issues!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of my second aefw battle. Thankfully, both battles have been in my frag system. First was in June. By middle August all my dips were clean. I took the kitchen sink approach: dips, predators (sixline, springeri damsels), KZ flatworm stop at double dose, cleaner and peppermint shrimp.

I continued KZ FWS at maintenance dose, but stopped dipping.

Middle February was having a few small colonies struggle, losing tissue at the base very slow. So slow that coralline would cover it up. I did an overnight dip in Interceptor, thinking it was white bugs. Next morning...worms.

Not wanting to lose another 2.5 months of my life, I am being super aggressive this time. Any colony with bite marks, I just clip a clean branch or three and chuck the rest into the bleach bucket.

OP
OP
P

phys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of my second aefw battle. Thankfully, both battles have been in my frag system. First was in June. By middle August all my dips were clean. I took the kitchen sink approach: dips, predators (sixline, springeri damsels), KZ flatworm stop at double dose, cleaner and peppermint shrimp.

Middle February was having a few small colonies struggle, losing tissue at the base very slow. So slow that coralline would cover it up. I did an overnight dip in Interceptor, thinking it was white bugs. Next morning...worms.

Not wanting to lose another 2.5 months of my life, I am being super aggressive this time. Any colony with bite marks, I just clip a clean branch or three and chuck the rest into the bleach bucket.
The life cycle of egg to worm is about 2 weeks. Dipping again after that should help eradicate any worms that have recently hatched before they're able to lay more eggs. That might help make sure they don't come back. Also, check plugs and around any racks as they may, possibly, lay some on those.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How has your battle with aefw been? I just found out today I have them. I have purge v2 on its way and adding kz flat worm stop to my coral booster I'm currently dosing.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has your battle with aefw been? I just found out today I have them. I have purge v2 on its way and adding kz flat worm stop to my coral booster I'm currently dosing.
It is a long slog. Another two months of my life to get them back under control.

Kitchen sink approach again, so I cannot separate (scientifically) what worked and did not work. If I had to guess here is the list in descending order of effectiveness:
a) acro removal, dipped in KCl, inspected for eggs
b) If it was a colony with a fair bit of damage, just chop of a few healthy frags and toss the rest
c) wrasses and basting (in tank)
d) AEFW-X (in tank) eight weeks
e) 2 standard lanthanum chloride doses (in tank)
f) Purge 2.0 in tank eight weeks

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a long slog. Another two months of my life to get them back under control.

Kitchen sink approach again, so I cannot separate (scientifically) what worked and did not work. If I had to guess here is the list in descending order of effectiveness:
a) acro removal, dipped in KCl, inspected for eggs
b) If it was a colony with a fair bit of damage, just chop of a few healthy frags and toss the rest
c) wrasses and basting (in tank)
d) AEFW-X (in tank) eight weeks
e) 2 standard lanthanum chloride doses (in tank)
f) Purge 2.0 in tank eight weeks
Under control not eradicated... Unfortunate to see purge at the end of your list, I was hoping this was going to be a strong solution for me. I wonder if just restating this tank is best bet to true eradication.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under control not eradicated... Unfortunate to see purge at the end of your list, I was hoping this was going to be a strong solution for me. I wonder if just restating this tank is best bet to true eradication.
Sorry I cannot be more encouraging, but you can see my experience documented in the Purge thread. I had big, healthy worms coming off 7 weeks in. This is even with the overlapping strategies (basting, dipping, predators).

Others did better with Purge, for sure like Grouperbait. We PM'd each other expressing some skepticism but he felt good about Purge in the end.

Most important (IMO) is that even once they are "gone" you must remain vigilant. Don't consider them "gone" for good. Always keep a solid predator base. I believe that was the cause of my relapse as I let my wrasse and shrimp population die on the carpet.

As to rebooting due to a pest problem, I wouldn't personally. I've had every pest in the book at some point. They are a part of the challenge.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back