BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE SCROLL TO SECOND PAGE FOR UPDATE/QUESTION

Good morning,

I fancied myself uber prepared and well-researched, but I just got the tracking numbers on my first fish order and am feeling the butterflies. The 20% got me. Needed a third fish to qualify... hoping it doesn't cause problems. Very prominent vendor that sells LIVE stuff for AQUARIums

Captive bred filefish, captive bred coral beauty, and linespot flasher wrasse on the way.

They will eventually join two cardinals, two clowns, and a LMB in my 65DT.

It's an odd stage where there are no fish to "protect" from the new, suspect fish. It's basically half and half. In $ terms, the new is more than the existing.

I have a 20g QT, cycled, w HOB filter (no carbon inserts), small powerhead, light, cover, etc.

I guess I'll stick with a best-case scenario for the moment and beg advise on illness if it arises. I don't plan to treat w copper unless illness is observed, but am ready to do so if needed. Do plan on de-worming.

So, two(three)-part question. I've read a number of posts like the ones below. I've also left a good 5" of the qt tank empty so I have plenty of volume to play with to adjust salinity up or down. Is this the approach that you all recommend? Also, can match SG, no prob. Is it important to match ph? How would one go about dropping the ph really low (like in a fish bag) without dropping alkalinity?
Ammonia in shipping bags
New fish acclimation method

2nd question - I want all of my fish to live :) I appreciate the need to QT, but all the fish I currently have are captive bred and healthy. They were not QTd. Two of the three I have ordered are also captive bred fish.

Is there any scenario where you might recommend straight to DT for the captive breds and QT for the wild-caught wrasse, or am I overthinking it?

ty

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add captive bred from ORA straight to the DT since they ship from their facility.

Biota comes from WI and idk if they are mixed with wilds so I QT those. However I would have a separate QT for them vs the linespot. I wouldn't want to potentially introduce anything the wild caught fish has to them.

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add captive bred from ORA straight to the DT since they ship from their facility.

Biota comes from WI and idk if they are mixed with wilds so I QT those. However I would have a separate QT for them vs the linespot. I wouldn't want to potentially introduce anything the wild caught fish has to them.
ty, that's why I'm kicking myself in the **** about the third fish... the wrasse. I only have one QT. Would have been an easy call to just observe the captives in QT to be safe. Now there are trade offs. But, if one of the captives goes straight to DT and gets sick w wrasse in QT, I've really got a mess.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning,

I fancied myself uber prepared and well-researched, but I just got the tracking numbers on my first fish order and am feeling the butterflies. The 20% got me. Needed a third fish to qualify... hoping it doesn't cause problems. Very prominent vendor that sells LIVE stuff for AQUARIums

Captive bred filefish, captive bred coral beauty, and linespot flasher wrasse on the way.

It's an odd stage where there are no fish to "protect" from the new, suspect fish. It's basically half and half. In $ terms, the new is more than the existing.

I have a 20g QT, cycled, w HOB filter (no carbon inserts), small powerhead, light, cover, etc.

I guess I'll stick with a best-case scenario for the moment and beg advise on illness if it arises. I don't plan to treat w copper unless illness is observed, but am ready to do so if needed. Do plan on de-worming.

So, two(three)-part question. I've read a number of posts like the ones below. I've also left a good 5" of the qt tank empty so I have plenty of volume to play with to adjust salinity up or down. Is this the approach that you all recommend? Also, can match SG, no prob. Is it important to match ph? How would one go about dropping the ph really low (like in a fish bag) without dropping alkalinity?
Ammonia in shipping bags

2nd question - I want all of my fish to live :) I appreciate the need to QT, but all the fish I currently have are captive bred and healthy. They were not QTd. Two of the three I have ordered are also captive bred fish.

Is there any scenario where you might recommend straight to DT for the captive breds and QT for the wild-caught wrasse, or am I overthinking it?

ty
1. Follow whatever instructions that come with the fish you bought (some use prime some dont, etc) - So if you follow their instructions you dont have to 'lower your pH'.
2. Its usually considered a 'good practice' to QT everything. Even captive bred fish can get bacterial infections - especially after travel. Now if you're asking about QT - with prophylactic treatment - I would just observe them.
3. If I bought a fish from an LFS - and had a chance to observe it - and it was captive bred I would consider dropping it in the tank (i.e not overnight shipped - which can be more of a problem).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning,

Ammonia in shipping bags

ty

PS - check with the companies you're buying from - if they use copper - or if they ship their fish with copper in the water. Make sure none of the water from their tanks gets into yours.

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - check with the companies you're buying from - if they use copper - or if they ship their fish with copper in the water. Make sure none of the water from their tanks gets into yours.
will do, tyvm

Am leaning towards QTng all of them... unless someone talks me out of it. I've always been able to just drip acclimate bc always bought from LFS. Never have had them overnighted.

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the salinity for fish not from diver's den as it's significantly lower than they claim and will require longer acclimation.

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the salinity for fish not from diver's den as it's significantly lower than they claim and will require longer acclimation.
That's what I'm so unfamiliar with. Two are from the den. Hopefully their sg is identical. One is not. Sure, I can run a longer acclimation in a 5g bucket if one is way different.

How explosive is the ammonia burn I read about on shipped fish when the bag is opened? Is it seconds, minutes? Should I be using a needle/syringe to draw water for sg and ph testing or is it fine to cut a small hole in the bag and patch with a piece of tape?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what I'm so unfamiliar with. Two are from the den. Hopefully their sg is identical. One is not. Sure, I can run a longer acclimation in a 5g bucket if one is way different.

How explosive is the ammonia burn I read about on shipped fish when the bag is opened? Is it seconds, minutes? Should I be using a needle/syringe to draw water for sg and ph testing or is it fine to cut a small hole in the bag and patch with a piece of tape?

I literally would just follow the detailed instructions from the shipper. Those are designed for the fish they ship. Many use prime - so there is no 'ammonia burn'. If its a small fish in a relatively larger amount of water - the ammonia will probably not be a problem any way. The ammonia burn I have seen did not come with 'opening the bag' - (i.e. the pH doesnt increase immediately) - It occurs when shipping has been delayed - or when people acclimate too long - or the shipper has skimped on the amount of water - compared to the size of the fish.

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally would just follow the detailed instructions from the shipper. Those are designed for the fish they ship. Many use prime - so there is no 'ammonia burn'. If its a small fish in a relatively larger amount of water - the ammonia will probably not be a problem any way. The ammonia burn I have seen did not come with 'opening the bag' - (i.e. the pH doesnt increase immediately) - It occurs when shipping has been delayed - or when people acclimate too long - or the shipper has skimped on the amount of water - compared to the size of the fish.
ty.. that's what I needed ;). Just a little reassurance. I only know what the internet tells me and everything you read about fish, disease, acclimation, etc.... SO intimidating.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - just a comment (and don't kick yourself) - its also a good idea not to buy fish from more than one company - because they are raised in different conditions (often) - and may have different diseases/bacteria, etc.

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - just a comment (and don't kick yourself) - its also a good idea not to buy fish from more than one company - because they are raised in different conditions (often) - and may have different diseases/bacteria, etc.
all from the same company, but was unaware that the "den" fish are a different system than the rest? Still not really sure. Good advise

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all from the same company, but was unaware that the "den" fish are a different system than the rest? Still not really sure. Good advise
is the other fish shipping from cali? if so it's coming direct from wholesaler. I've had a lot of deaths, almost 50%, with the fish from cali. Follow their acclimation procedure, the drip method. Some people will tell you to float to match temperature and drop them in. I've always floated and drip acclimated. Never had any fish deaths with live aquaria in the past; 7 years ago. Recently things have changed and I believe it's because the wholesaler do not put as much care into the fish they get, it's all about volume for them. I no longer buy fish online unless I am convinced that they are healthy and eating. Now I go to LFS.

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the other fish shipping from cali? if so it's coming direct from wholesaler. I've had a lot of deaths, almost 50%, with the fish from cali. Follow their acclimation procedure, the drip method. Some people will tell you to float to match temperature and drop them in. I've always floated and drip acclimated. Never had any fish deaths with live aquaria in the past; 7 years ago. Recently things have changed and I believe it's because the wholesaler do not put as much care into the fish they get, it's all about volume for them. I no longer buy fish online unless I am convinced that they are healthy and eating. Now I go to LFS.
I believe they ship from Wisconsin. I'm not even sure what coast that's on :rolleyes:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are biota captive bred and it sounds like it ...all your fish are coming from the WI facility.

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipment delayed... Fuggggg

Apparently 75 and muggy with a chance of showers in five hours is "Severe Weather" to the decision makers at UPS in Philadelphia.
No fish today. Tracking now says tomorrow morning before 11a.m? Is there any chance of them surviving?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shipment delayed... Fuggggg

Apparently 75 and muggy with a chance of showers in five hours is "Severe Weather" to the decision makers at UPS in Philadelphia.
No fish today. Tracking now says tomorrow morning before 11a.m? Is there any chance of them surviving?

Yes. Hope they make it ok.

OP
OP
BeejReef

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of 3 seemingly ok. Linespot wrasse on death's door. Bag was part deflated. In methelyne blue bath atm. Glimmer of hope. How long for bath? Anything else to be done?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 169 73.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%

Back