OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again Greg, working on letting the youtube video load to check it out :)

Degener8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank so far Barb. Glad to see your doing plenty of research and avoiding alot of the common mistakes..:clap2:

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank so far Barb. Glad to see your doing plenty of research and avoiding alot of the common mistakes..:clap2:

Thank you, have done lots of research before starting and still working on researching things and spending a lot of time here on the forums trying to soak in as much as I can. I am sure that I will still make some mistakes from time to time, but hopefully nothing too major.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank? Looks like you've been at it for years. Nice job! Your patience will pay off big time.

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank? Looks like you've been at it for years. Nice job! Your patience will pay off big time.

Thank you for the compliment. Fortunately my budget helps to keep me in check and keeps me from rushing ahead. Has allowed me to have time to really think about what I want to do with this build.

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliment. Fortunately my budget helps to keep me in check and keeps me from rushing ahead. Has allowed me to have time to really think about what I want to do with this build.

Barb, I know how that low budget can keep you from going full ahead on populating the tank. Any recent photos?

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No recent photos, no additions or changes to the tank lately. Do need to get the camera out and play around with trying to do some macros of the fish. Want to eventually get a better lens, the current one I am using is from my old film slr.

Still thinking over the idea of aging a sump need to figure out what size sump I will be able to get to fit in.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still thinking over the idea of aging a sump need to figure out what size sump I will be able to get to fit in.

I used a 20 long and put in the baffles. I got the glass at Home Depot. It was replacement glass for picture frames and was really easy to cut and silicon in. I should have done the return pump chamber different. I've got to get the ATO built and installed. The evaporation rate is very high the summer, about 2 gallons a day.

BullSnapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 20 long and put in the baffles. I got the glass at Home Depot. It was replacement glass for picture frames and was really easy to cut and silicon in. I should have done the return pump chamber different. I've got to get the ATO built and installed. The evaporation rate is very high the summer, about 2 gallons a day.

did you use the 1/8" glass for your baffles? how are those holding up.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the updates? With as much as you post, you would figure this would be a gimme

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the updates? With as much as you post, you would figure this would be a gimme

Lol will catch up on some updates later. Not to many changes recently other than a feather duster I picked up a while ago and my first attempt with a royal grama which I posted about in another thread. Waiting until the end of the summer when I can upgrade my lighting, seems to be taking forever. Than I can start adding corals in :)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your bowfront tank! I think when it comes LED time, you should check into Aqua Illiminations. I have the Sol Blues and they are terrific. However, they have a new model coming out called VEGA. They're wireless and will include 80* lenses and red, green and uv colors as well. AI units are all upgradable to the next new thing, something Radions do not have in common and they're 1/2 the price. IMO work just as well too ;) I don't regret buying them at all. Good luck and can't wait to see your tank again :)

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this tank, once the weather cools of.

I really liked my bubble magus hob skimmer. Working well for you?

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been quite awhile since I last updated my build thread so it is about time to do so. It has been almost 5 months since I set up the tank in which during that time I have had ups and downs with it. The current stocking on the tank is a pair of Clarki Clowns, a trio of Blue Green Chromis and a red Firefish. My last addition that I had picked up a few weeks ago a Kole Tang after a week in qt did not make it. I had been originally planning on getting my LED lights this month for the tank, but the opportunity of being able to get a better vehicle has put that upgrade on hold for the time being. So now I will have even more time to research what I want to do on the lighting for this tank.

A few other plans that I have for the tank is over the next couple of months I am going to see about adding a sump onto the system. My spare 20 gallon has finally been freed up and once I get it drained I will be able to see if I can get it to fit under the stand. Once I know if it will work I will also start working on my sump design. Once I have my sump setup I will be able to start working on building up my pod population in preparation of eventually being able to get my Mandarian.

Over the last couple of months I have had a few spots of red algae which has developed on the sand bed in one spot and on a few spots of the rock, nothing real major and it has seemed like it has been clearing up recently. At this time I don't have any current pictures, but will see about getting some soon.

Sir Pat, the bubble magus hob has been working well so far, although sometimes the impellar sticks when the power is turned off and than back on which can get a bit annoying. The last time it did it, instead of taking everything apart to try to free the impellar I gave the side of the pump a few good wacks with my hand :D which worked. The only other issue I have had is that if the water level drops a little too much the skimmer does start to act up and starts to want to overflow.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great to have an update and I for one have missed you! :)

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks rev, been busy hectic this summer and still getting use to the new work schedule lol :D By the way will be sending you a pm here shortly ;)

OP
OP
B

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sadly I had to tear down this tank. With changes in jobs and with less money coming in, along with plans to be going back to school this coming fall I decided to step away from the saltwater side of things for now. I do plan on setting up another tank one of these days in the future so at this time I will be keeping my equipment. However I could not imagine keeping the tank empty, so it has been converted into a freshwater setup. I am doing love plants in this tank and eventually once the tank stabilizes it will become the new home to some angelfish and a few different species of tetras. I still do plan on checking in on here, and look forward to seeing everyone's tanks :)

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi BarbH, I feel your pain. I have to do the same only mine is for health reasons and I am no able to take care of the tank as it should be. I thought I was going to be able to but it's just too much. I know I'll never get out of it what I have invested but, I'd rather sell it and save the fish I have than they suffer and die for lack of care. Maybe later on I can set up a very small tank but not now. Good luck in your future.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back