Calmwaters First Saltwater Build

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone! So far the rest of the fish are doing well this morning. The video really does not do the Zebra Bar Goby justice. He's got these beautiful little orange stripes running top to bottom across his body. I'm going to get them some kind of hide today while I'm out to make them feel more comfortable. Also the Scissortail looks much prettier IRL he's got a slight yellow line around his fins.
1000003935.jpg

1000003936.jpg

Just catching up to all the posts. To confirm:

1) did all these new fish come from the same vendor - Reef Beauties? I don’t know this vendor so can’t make an opinion on them overall.

2) how many total fish in the order?

3) you lost 2? One on shipping arrival day and one within 24 hours?

I consider that a very high percentage of DOA for fish that are very standard in the industry - even the wrasse if it’s coming from a good source.

Plus, you have no idea why they didn’t make it. Stress from shipping or disease or weak fish that wasn’t QT’d or observed long enough before shipping to you.

I know I’m the only one here who keeps posting “Debbie Downer” stuff to you - but I just want you to have success; especially since you just want to fill a tank and not wait.

Also, I would QT all fish first - that doesn’t mean chemically QT, just observe. And keep fish together from same vendor Separate from others if you get more than one order. Maybe ur already doing this - I went quickly thru thread so sorry if I missed.

Also, you might want to consider the big vendors when ordering quite a few fish (or even one fish). Their ethical practices are well established, shipping as well and DOA policies more solid . They will at least work with you.

Top Shelf Aquatics
World Wide Corals

Just my usual newbie 2c, I won’t be insulted if you go a different way. Clearly we have at least 50+ years of reefing experience here in Smorgasbord to weigh in - but they are more polite then me - hehe.

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all from the same vendor and it was 12 fish total and they spent all day on a UPS truck which I'm sure was very stressful they were well packed and had a heat pack that was still warm. The vendor has a 15 day guarantee and I have submitted the claim forms and required pictures. I have read lots of good reviews on them which is why I went with them and I like that they did not send two of the original fish I ordered because they were not up to their standards and sent me an email.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all from the same vendor and it was 12 fish total and they spent all day on a UPS truck which I'm sure was very stressful they were well packed and had a heat pack that was still warm. The vendor has a 15 day guarantee and I have submitted the claim forms and required pictures. I have read lots of good reviews on them which is why I went with them and I like that they did not send two of the original fish I ordered because they were not up to their standards and sent me an email.
That’s great Amanda!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better picture of the enemy as my husband has renamed it... lighting is not great because the light on that side of the tank quit working. She seems to like that rock she's on right now so fingers crossed she stays there.
1000003946.jpg
1000003947.jpg
Why does he call it the enemy? Did I miss a bad behavior post - lol?

OP
OP
Calmwaters

Calmwaters

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does he call it the enemy? Did I miss a bad behavior post - lol?
No apparently to him the word anemone sounds like an enemy... :face-with-tears-of-joy:
He likes calling the saltwater creatures funny names. Like my pen cushion urchin he calls a saltwater porcupine...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back