My fish is eating my coral!

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d return and get another one if you want. Any angelfish is a hit or miss.

OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you rehome it, try feeding it more or have nori more available for it.
I do want to try to keep it I only recently starting putting nori in 2 days ago but they don’t seem to be nipping at it yet. Should I move it maybe? Alsoy Kenya tree as we all know it makes several frags of its self at least once every 2 weeks which I tie down to a small rock I now have 5 frags of it. Do you think the angelfish might be able to control its growth and spread? Or will it just end up eating the whole thing?

Taipan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bi colored angelfish and it’s been nipping my Kenya tree is there anything I can do?

Bi Colours are not known as Reef safe, and are to be treated with caution in a Mixed Reef tank.
While this Rule is never always true, its a risk some take that pays off with a well behaved Bi colour, others bust out.

Others can be fine, and then one day just decide to have a nip.

I had a Anemone Crab go rogue, was a perfect resident for months.. then one night decided to go nuts and ate a good 15% of my frags. He lives in my Sump now. I also have a starfish which only just suddenly started eating Zoas.

OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bi Colours are not known as Reef safe, and are to be treated with caution in a Mixed Reef tank.
While this Rule is never always true, its a risk some take that pays off with a well behaved Bi colour, others bust out.

Others can be fine, and then one day just decide to have a nip.

I had a Anemone Crab go rogue, was a perfect resident for months.. then one night decided to go nuts and ate a good 15% of my frags. He lives in my Sump now. I also have a starfish which only just suddenly started eating Zoas.
Mine kind of started right when it was introduced to the tank. It never ate it where u could tell it’s being eaten other than the fact that the Kenya shrivels after he nips at it. I’m guessing it nips at the little finger hairs when it opens and not where u can tell it has chuncks missing.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to angelfish some will only pick at specific corals .

as a experiment the old way was to add the fish , and slowly add one species of coral at a time .
if it picks at that specific coral , try something else .

for example .. any emperor ive had doesn’t pick at sps , Xenia, gsp , palys or hammers but will make a Meal of any other lps

if you know it eats Kenya . Either remove the fish or do not stock anymore Kenya . Or softies .
As every fish is different , what works for one person . Doesn’t always work for another

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface eating corals ?
Never seen it before …
But if fed well they are said to leave corals alone .
I feed heavy at 8+ cubes a day.
The foxface grew to 6 inches very fast and would nip the tops of my green slimer only. It stunted the growth. My slimer is about 10" across and is starting to go upward now.
It was easy to net as I hand fed it nori. Its in a fish only 350 now.
20211016_131503.jpg

20210301_140724.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back