My first reef tank 55 gal

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first reef tank that I recently started and so for I think it is a success. I got a good deal at PetSmart that came with the filter, heater, lights net and thermometer. I already had a small 10 gal tank with fresh water fish and decided to try a salt water reef tank for the first time. I've always seen them and thought they were amazing but always thought it would be too hard and expensive lol. well I can confirm is it both hard and expensive but I think its worth it in the end.

image_50438401.JPG

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was planning on that just don’t know what to use. Like just a a cloth? Or card board? I have no clue what to use lol
I’m pretty sure that’s what I bought. It’s very easy to install, no adhesive, just a bit of plain water. It takes 15 minutes if you take your time.

It can even be removed and reused later. There are different sizes, pick the one you need.

WilbyBakedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome scape! Welcome to investing into a second mortgage! A few product I’d recommend to have on hand and tips!

1.reef flux(once you can’t contains Algae, this is the best product)
2.garlic to maintain healthy fish
3. Keep salinity at around 1.23-1.24 high salinity causes stress to fish and may lead to skin damage. (Doing this along with garlic medicated food will give you good success with fish and even avoid ich.
4. With corals I’d honestly only use the blues and add just a pinch of white.
5. Find your happy spot. Don’t go chasing perfect water quality. If your corals are doing good then you’re in the good. 20-30nitrates isn’t nothing to stress.

Attachments

• 21379E40-B1AB-4120-A0D5-CE747337266C.jpeg
    21379E40-B1AB-4120-A0D5-CE747337266C.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 57

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see it mature

OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I’m having an algae problem. I have no idea what to do. I’ve added snails and a blenny but I can’t keep it under control and I have to take my live rock out to scrub all the algae off. Imma nitrates and nitrites are still 0 as per the tests so I have no clue why it keeps going out of control. Today I decided to do a deep clean on everything in my tank to I took everything out and scrubbed all of the algae off then scrubbed the glass of my tank and now there’s algae floating everywhere that I’m trying to take out with a fish net which seems to be working but I feel that it well get worse with the algae bloom everywhere. There’s also a rock with my coral on it that i don’t want to take out to scrub the algae off cuz i don’t want to damage the Kenya. Any ideas of what I can do to control the algae? I have a skimmer running all the time too. This is mid water change.

Attachments

• CEA579EB-1F72-4970-B45B-28B5B14F4695.jpeg
    CEA579EB-1F72-4970-B45B-28B5B14F4695.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 40
  • AF8BCDA3-5F74-4707-80B3-150867446BAD.jpeg
    AF8BCDA3-5F74-4707-80B3-150867446BAD.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 43

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I’m having an algae problem. I have no idea what to do. I’ve added snails and a blenny but I can’t keep it under control and I have to take my live rock out to scrub all the algae off. Imma nitrates and nitrites are still 0 as per the tests so I have no clue why it keeps going out of control. Today I decided to do a deep clean on everything in my tank to I took everything out and scrubbed all of the algae off then scrubbed the glass of my tank and now there’s algae floating everywhere that I’m trying to take out with a fish net which seems to be working but I feel that it well get worse with the algae bloom everywhere. There’s also a rock with my coral on it that i don’t want to take out to scrub the algae off cuz i don’t want to damage the Kenya. Any ideas of what I can do to control the algae? I have a skimmer running all the time too. This is mid water change.

How many snails? I would throw in at least a dozen or so Astraea/turbo snails. Also, its normal for a new tank to go through algae stages. Just let the snails do the work. You are disturbing things way to much taking the rock out for cleaning, hence to murky water. Also, is the lighting freshwater tank lighting or reef lighting? If that's regular freshwater tank lighting, it will be inadequate for coral growth. Also, white light promotes more algae growth than blue dominant reef lights.

OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many snails? I would throw in at least a dozen or so Astraea/turbo snails. Also, its normal for a new tank to go through algae stages. Just let the snails do the work. You are disturbing things way to much taking the rock out for cleaning, hence to murky water. Also, is the lighting freshwater tank lighting or reef lighting? If that's regular freshwater tank lighting, it will be inadequate for coral growth. Also, white light promotes more algae growth than blue dominant reef lights.
I have 3 astraea snails and 6 bumblebee snails for the verminted snails. The algae if left alone will cover my entire tank if I don’t clean it which is why I tank the rock out. I don’t usually take all of it out I usually take one rock at a time every few days to not disturb it too much but wanted a fresh start. And yeah it’s a regular dressy water light for now I’m going to get a reef light soon

OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and it’s not always Murky only when I do water changes and is usually clear just with algae on everything inside.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 astraea snails and 6 bumblebee snails for the verminted snails. The algae if left alone will cover my entire tank if I don’t clean it which is why I tank the rock out. I don’t usually take all of it out I usually take one rock at a time every few days to not disturb it too much but wanted a fresh start. And yeah it’s a regular dressy water light for now I’m going to get a reef light soon

If you dont have a refugium with chaeto or an algae scrubber, you will be facing an uphill battle with algae in the tank. Also, bumblebee snails dont do much. You need way more Astraea or turbo snails. I needed like 6 to clean up a 20 gallon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back