My first reef tank 55 gal

If you dont have a refugium with chaeto or an algae scrubber, you will be facing an uphill battle with algae in the tank. Also, bumblebee snails dont do much. You need way more Astraea or turbo snails. I needed like 6 to clean up a 20 gallon.
I’m not quite sure what a refugium and chaeto is and wow yeah I need more then. I wanted some emerald crabs but heard they like to snack on some coral but don’t know which ones they would eat cuz I only have Kenya trees for soft corals the rest are hard
 
I’m not quite sure what a refugium and chaeto is and wow yeah I need more then. I wanted some emerald crabs but heard they like to snack on some coral but don’t know which ones they would eat cuz I only have Kenya trees for soft corals the rest are hard

Yea, I don't trust crabs either. If your tank is not drilled for an overflow, I would recommend a HOG scrubber in addition to more snails. The algae grown in the scrubber will out compete the algae in your tank if sized right. They have different sizes depending on how much feeding you do. I havn't used one, but others have and said they work well.

https://www.santa-monica.cc/

Either the HOG .5, HOG1 or HOG 1.3 depending on how much you feed per day.
 
Last edited:
I’ve got some new additions to my tank! A sailfin tang, a bicolored angelfish and 3 Banggai Cardinalfish.
 

Attachments

  • 55FEA2F1-9B6F-41E8-AB5B-19D66C455279.jpeg
    55FEA2F1-9B6F-41E8-AB5B-19D66C455279.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 0E480721-0379-43AF-8257-C7A0051B6A4D.jpeg
    0E480721-0379-43AF-8257-C7A0051B6A4D.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 89
  • D31BE14A-D28E-4B44-A166-DA722D8B8683.jpeg
    D31BE14A-D28E-4B44-A166-DA722D8B8683.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 86
How is your tank doing?

As a simple upgrade, with no plumbing involved, this HOB macro refugium could serve you well. I ordered last night. I will review by Saturday.

Amazon product ASIN B00I8BREP2
Hey It’s doing good I added some more coral being a green star polyp, a green devil hand coral, a toadstool and a sinularia.
let me know how that refungium works i actually just bought a 20 gal king to maybe make a refungium skimmer and sump but won’t be able to get everything yet and this might be a good temp solution.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new