My saltwater journal.

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang Nawilson, had no idea you were on this forum. Tanks looking good. Looks like you've experienced some of the same or different pitfalls as me over the last year and a half. Whenever I can figure out how to post pics on here, and get some of my older tan pics before the crash, I'm going to create a little journal on here as well as a trial and tribs journal. Maybe it will help someone else down the road avoid some of the mistakes/pitfalls. I've still got my original goby/pistol shrimp combo though post crash. Grateful for that as I would have been devastated to lose them (not that everything else didn't hurt, especially in the wallet). I had a lot of comments I wanted to make on some of your posts but after 7 pages, I forgot most of them, lol.

Good to see you again dude! Glad to see you've stuck through it.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang Nawilson, had no idea you were on this forum. Tanks looking good. Looks like you've experienced some of the same or different pitfalls as me over the last year and a half. Whenever I can figure out how to post pics on here, and get some of my older tan pics before the crash, I'm going to create a little journal on here as well as a trial and tribs journal. Maybe it will help someone else down the road avoid some of the mistakes/pitfalls. I've still got my original goby/pistol shrimp combo though post crash. Grateful for that as I would have been devastated to lose them (not that everything else didn't hurt, especially in the wallet). I had a lot of comments I wanted to make on some of your posts but after 7 pages, I forgot most of them, lol.

Good to see you again dude! Glad to see you've stuck through it.

I didnt know your tank crashed!
Pitfalls to say the least. Tell you one thing though. Giving up isnt in my vocab. I was actually talking about (on my local club forum) going to collect in the area. Getting in touch with my local reefers is really helpful. Going to go pick up some crabs, snails and macro algae on Saturday. May catch a fish or two but i have no room for em, so they would be going to a friend to help her tank up.

But yes! Please post some pics of your tank before the crash. And definitely tell me how you crashed.

I hope you havent given up; you at least have your shrimp and goby!

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1403194868685.jpg

FTS
As you can see, I have some green hair algae growing. At first I was adamant on getting rid of it, but it's localized to that one rock and my circ pump; and since it's growth my coralline algae has been spreading on the rocks very well. It will clear up in a few weeks after I get my macro algae from locally collecting.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current look this morning before the change. Tomorrow I shall post the new look.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403735138038.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403735138038.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 144
OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided that i didnt want my rocks making contact with the walls of the aquarium. So i purchased some holdfast and condensed it some. There's also three really large pieces of rock at the bottom of the tank under the sand. I saw a post of a local reefer starting up and talked to her; so im selling them to her for $10 (well that was the plan. i was going to use said 10bucks to buy some Dragon's Breath from another local. He ended up living in the same area, so we are trading the rock for macro algae).

I like the new look alot better. Its a much cleaner look than a bunch of rocks haphazardly stacked atop each other touch all the walls from here to Timbuktu.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1403787279716.jpg

The current look. Still clearing up, loose sand everywhere. This is my first time working with holdfast and I feel like I did a terrible job. I quite like the look, but my workmanship with the holdfast wasn't to good. One of the rocks already separated from another, I'm not sure if it's going to cause a tumble or not.

Other than my few bumblebee snails and my urchin, my CUC is pretty non existent, I'll be picking up a few hermits today and some cerith snails next week.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan to me. Doesn't look bad at all bro. Nice job!!

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS has Caulerpa Prolifera.... I know the risks! But it would be so nice to plant it along the left side of the tank!!!!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead, the stuff can take over, doesn't mean it will. Theres a chance.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on planting? Since i have so many goby and crabs they wont pull it up accidentally will they?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hit and miss with the critters. But ya can use a rubber band to get it attached to a rock in the back. Or just shove a long strand into the substrate and put a lil rock over it to hold it.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1404176841614.jpg

She enjoys it

uploadfromtaptalk1404176879942.jpg

Dragons breath frag I got from a local reefer

uploadfromtaptalk1404176910803.jpg

Scarlet hermit eating in the prolifera

uploadfromtaptalk1404176932972.jpg

FTS

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gracilaria has been self propagating. There's little pieces all over the place getting caught in rocks and prolifera. The right side has a mountain of prolifera i was going to remove, but my pistol shrimp loves it. Even made a cave entrance right through it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back