My take on the Apex + Alexa Integration

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fortunate enough to have been testing the Apex + Alexa integration as part of the NSI program, and it's changed the way I interact with my tanks the most. It's very flexible, simple, and most importantly useful. Take a look at the video for a demo of the integration, the changes to apex fusion to control it, and my thoughts. Feel free to hit me up with questions or thoughts.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!! This is awesome, I don’t have any voice command controls because of my kids repeating us. Knowing you can setup voice recognizntion is great! So is this simply a fusion update that allows the integration?

I should have signed up for NSI! Haha

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I have an Alexa but has been unplugged for a long time. So I guess this has not released yet. Good video but is Alexa contacting the Apes through the wireless network?

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I have an Alexa but has been unplugged for a long time. So I guess this has not released yet. Good video but is Alexa contacting the Apes through the wireless network?
It is not released yet, but it feels like it must be nearing that milestone. Alexa is talking to Apex fusion in the cloud and Apex Fusion is sending commands to the Apex controller I believe.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just NSI for now..... We are testing it... I can tell you I use Alexa daily for feeding my fish, as well as dosing Reef Energy..
ALEXA is also commanding outlets... I posted a video of my skimmer cup being full in my control room, and I wasn't near any tablet or cell... Alexa turned my skimmer outlet right off.... Was great...

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just NSI for now..... We are testing it... I can tell you I use Alexa daily for feeding my fish, as well as dosing Reef Energy..
ALEXA is also commanding outlets... I posted a video of my skimmer cup being full in my control room, and I wasn't near any tablet or cell... Alexa turned my skimmer outlet right off.... Was great...

Man that would be so helpful

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Electronic/Computer Engineer and I absolutely love tech toys. I build my own too.

I see some value having Alexa, or any voice activated speaker controlling things.

However I wouldn't trust voice recognition for certain things that I want Hard coded Strict controls (like Lights, or return pumps etc), since it could lead to potential damage to system.
One would have to put some very deep planning, controls, and logic to make things bullet proof. Proper Resets to steady state.
Personally I don't think the general user has the skills to do that. Possibly Neptune will do that (hard thinking/designing) for end users.

Over the last few months, I've played with every technology out there for home automation. Wifi Outlets, Zigbee, Proprietary, and the various Comercial Hubs, IFTT, etc.

There are plenty of challenges to think through such as Internet Stability, Wifi Stability. Effect of losing Power, and Time Synchronization.
Also when all working fine, comes the response time of the Servers providing the Skills to Automation/Alexa.

I landed on a mix of technologies, and they work independently, intelligently, and yes Alexa has access to some.

What I find most frustrating is how Alexa can become unresponsive. Sometimes confused. To me that's a no-no for a fish tank unless something simple.

EXAMPLE of FAILURE:

Last night, I constructed a simple (single wifi Plug OUTLET) controlled by Alexa, to turn off my Return Pump at a time that I would normally reach for a switch.
This procedure is part of a water change.
Too far to reach switch, and hands wet. In past, I had ways to deal with this (phone app nearby).
I practiced to make sure it would work (At my DESK). The OUTLET turned ON and OFF Reliably. Maybe slight delay, but acceptable.

I then moved Alexa over to my Sump Room where I do the water change.

When I started the water change, came the time for Alexa to turn off the Outlet.
I said "alexa pump off". Nothing Happened. Few times. I had to break my WC Siphon stop.

I learned that Alexa wasn't picking my voice command since the gurling, splashing sounds of my sump were interfering.

THIS IS JUST one example. Plenty of other ways things can go wrong.

Point is Automation is tricky, and has to be well thought through. Voice recognition, and multiple points of relay between systems make it tricker for reliability.

I'm sure user experience feedback, testing, and improvements will make this wonderful technology better. (Along with some Good User Manuals with Cautions to Eager users)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dramad1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just downloaded the Alexa app on my phone a few days ago and connected the app to fusion. I am not sure if I am using Alexa correctly but for some reason unless I hold the Alexa button on the app, I can not communicate with Alexa to tell fusion what to do. Even with the app open, I still have to push the button to talk to Alexa.
I think it is awesome though and I was planning to use it to data log when I do my daily and weekly testing ca, alk, mag, nitrates, and phosphates.
Just shout out "Alexa log 8.7 alk in apex fusion" hands free...awesome. I am still learning how to use it though.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to believe you have to touch Alexa APP to make it work your Apex. Could be a safety mechanism, but doesn't make sense since it' all about Hands free.

COOL!!! I do like being able to log my Alk after test into Fusion. I hate doing that on my phone, so I stopped, and write on whiteboard calendar.

Wonder how accurate the log ENTRY will be. Since alexa doesn't hear accurately. Will it repeat your "8.7",and is there a confirmation step.

I just started a thread where I hope to gather facts from others like you, since this thread may or may not be idea place. Both work too.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...ience-share-your-automation-learnings.482715/

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 74.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back