New 120 upgrade

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuning in to see how that plumbing setup goes! Great thread so far man, I’ve had an empty 120 gallon aquarium in my living room for a minute now, just haven’t got around to finish the plumbing etc Lol

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new (used) trigger system sump from a kinda local reefer.
IMG_0629.jpeg
Hoping to have the tank cleaned up tomorrow and ready to bring in the house next weekend.
Did you get that from Aaron?

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing 2 overnight tests. First is a leak test. So far it’s good, second is my table building abilities and seeing if an elevator door can be improperly used. Please excuse my disaster of a garage.
IMG_0644.jpeg

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in the house.
IMG_0652.png
I also painted the back and side blue. Same blue that’s on my 14 gallon. Hoping to stop by Home Depot today to get all my plumbing.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a very rough cut in of my return line, spent about 10 minutes doing it. Also couldn’t do the drain because even though I got 1” and 3/4” pipe for some reason I got 1/2” and 3/4” fittings.
IMG_0661.jpeg

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the plumbing dry fitted and most of it glued last night. I tried to do 2 separate drains but couldn’t figure out how to make it look nice and I didn’t have enough fittings. I’ll probably just run with this for awhile then get back to separating the drains later.
IMG_0663.jpeg

jdthome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a very rough cut in of my return line, spent about 10 minutes doing it. Also couldn’t do the drain because even though I got 1” and 3/4” pipe for some reason I got 1/2” and 3/4” fittings.
IMG_0661.jpeg

It will be interesting to see how your flow from the return ends up. I just brought my 120 online and I was very worried I would have uneven flow. I added valves to each return branch incase I needed to dial them in. I also went to great lengths to make sure each branch was the same length as I read different lengths will result in different flow rates.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to add valves but there wasn’t enough room on the one drain. I’m also more concerned about noise rather than having high flow rate. My return pump also has 20 different speed setting so I should be able to dial it in, hopefully. If it doesn’t work out I have unions so I can redo it. I also went with a durso drain. I can never remember the names and I believe I said I was going with bean animal before.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misread. Return I’m not concerned about even flow. I plan on getting a few more maxspect gyres in the tank.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got what sand was left at the store and dumped it in. Also shutting down water production for the night. We had to leave for a few hours so it was shut off during that time. Sump is full and I’m almost there.
IMG_0678.jpeg

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s finally running. Drains can handle the returns rated 2000 gph but it’s turned down to 700 as of now for overflow sound. It sounds like a heavy rainfall outside.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0703.jpeg
Temperature and salt is all good now. So I put left over rock from my original 14 gallon build and some rubble I had in the filter to get the cycle started. I also had ammonia left over from starting the old tank so I threw that in too.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some cable raceway to try and keep my hatred of wires in check.
IMG_0712.jpeg
Ammonia is also still sitting at 2ppm. I might get a little more rock and some bottled bacteria to help kick off the cycle.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I would highly recommend re-working your plumbing to include a gate valve after the overflows join together. I would throw my tank through the window if I heard that much water running non-stop and esp in my living room.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back