New IM Nuvo 15 Journey

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herm found a shell in the sand, saw a bright white shell moving and threw me off lol. I think it’s debating going back to his old home lol
IMG_4762.jpeg
It's a tough choice, lol.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change today! Did about 5g gallons, sand looks about the same or little worse today. I didn’t mess with it, another day soon! Everything seems happy, my fav toad is finally opening. Can’t decided if it wants to shed or just be difficult. My nepthea are doing well in the change over, was little worried the koji but it’s good!
IMG_4764.jpeg
IMG_4765.jpeg
Looking great!!! My hermit also switched to a white shell today haha, I was like wait a minute...

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Full on uglies happening, haven’t touched it yet. Been dosing microbacter 7 and moved the flow pointed down at the sand. See what happens, what started as diatoms now looks like cyano…
IMG_4774.jpeg
IMG_4775.jpeg

Decided to toss in a Duncan and blasto.
IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4777.jpeg

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full on uglies happening, haven’t touched it yet. Been dosing microbacter 7 and moved the flow pointed down at the sand. See what happens, what started as diatoms now looks like cyano…
IMG_4774.jpeg
IMG_4775.jpeg

Decided to toss in a Duncan and blasto.
IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4777.jpeg
Uglyyyyyy stage. How has the microbacter 7 been so far? Mine should be coming soon. Also nice coral additions :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uglyyyyyy stage. How has the microbacter 7 been so far? Mine should be coming soon. Also nice coral additions :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Just started Friday I think, added these blocks tonight. Watched a video from BRS on them, figured it was worth a shot.
image.jpg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got some cleanup crew yesterday! Mixed bag of a few different ones and this little guy!
IMG_4832.jpeg
uglies have gotten quite a bit worse, still hoping it’s cyano and not dinos. Either way it sucks! Only improvement was cranking my flow up to 90% on the powerhead and stirring the sandbed aggressively. I did turn my light down about 5-10%. Did a water change and was happy, only an hr later it looks like cyano is coming back, I did also start microbacter clean. The reef snow is clearing in my other so decided why not double down. Couldn’t remember to take pics of the actual outbreak lol, here’s a before pic is it goes south! It’s still cloudy from just stirring everything up
IMG_4826.jpeg

Make it snow!
IMG_4833.jpeg

O almost forgot, I did get another fish. Kind of a surprise, had ordered a pink streaked cryptic wrasse a while back. Was doa so they kept my money for when the next came. It did after a shipping delay, was able to get it in. Wasn’t my intention to put him here but worked out. Was very rough in the bag, I’ve seen it a few times but doing ok I guess haha! Caught him exposed with the lights off!
IMG_4807.jpeg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forgot to mention, I’ve removed my filter roller while dealing with these uglies. I’m trying to change out the floss multiple times a day. So while kicking my return pumps back on I when ahead and hooked up the skimmer to help pull out the snow.
IMG_4836.jpeg
Really easy to use! Will continue to run that also to see if it will help with the algae growth. This happened while doing the treatment ugh…this crap grows so fast!
IMG_4834.jpeg
IMG_4835.jpeg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Came home today to a better view! Not fully gone but close for today anyway. Not really sure what did it between
Deep clean and scrub
Microbacter clean
DIY Reef Snow w/ ZEObak
Skimmer
lol something is working!

Glass is dirty so cleaned that but otherwise haven’t touched the sand bed today!
IMG_4840.jpeg
Ordered and got a 9w green killing machine UV that I’ll add at some point in the next day or so!
Lastly my Xenia on a stick is growing like a weed!
IMG_4842.jpeg

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank is looking great! That xenia grew out real fast. Looking more and more filled in everytime I see your build thread! Are you planning to add any more frags? Im a big fan of DIY reef snow, have been using it steadily since November. I have no cyano just a little dino and some GHA, certainly not as a direct result of reef snow but it sure as heck does help export some nutrients

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank is looking great! That xenia grew out real fast. Looking more and more filled in everytime I see your build thread! Are you planning to add any more frags? Im a big fan of DIY reef snow, have been using it steadily since November. I have no cyano just a little dino and some GHA, certainly not as a direct result of reef snow but it sure as heck does help export some nutrients
Thanks!! I’m shocked at how well the reef snow did for just clarity alone, did it on the main first and wow! Yea that’s my plan is to load it up, I have a med and small frag rack in the other that are full. Been putting off that rearranging. Taking every bit of my power not to put the nem in, I am pretty positive it’s a bad idea…also because I don’t have a nem guard on my powerhead haha! But it’s ordered! Also if these uglies are still around it won’t be happy I don’t think, still new to nems. Was originally going to just be a softy tank. I have some new frag racks that will fit in there, hopefully frag up some things out of the other and let them heal here. Get some back ups just in case of my favorites and give/trade/sell the extra. Eventually get to the point where I can sell just enough to cover the running costs would be awesome! Now I just trade stuff in and usually spend it on something new lol! Once these uglies are controlled pretty well it’s game on!
Shrimps already crawling on the coral :rolleyes:
IMG_4843.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home today to a better view! Not fully gone but close for today anyway. Not really sure what did it between
Deep clean and scrub
Microbacter clean
DIY Reef Snow w/ ZEObak
Skimmer
lol something is working!

Glass is dirty so cleaned that but otherwise haven’t touched the sand bed today!
IMG_4840.jpeg
Ordered and got a 9w green killing machine UV that I’ll add at some point in the next day or so!
Lastly my Xenia on a stick is growing like a weed!
IMG_4842.jpeg
Tank is looking a lot more clean!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Waited until this evening but not much algae showing today, haven’t touched the sand for the pic.
IMG_4862.jpeg
-Filter roller back in place
-Readjusted the skimmer, had the air line wrapped around the body.
- Moved my biocubes and filter media to the corner
-Added a green killing machine 9w UV, will try running it 24hr a day for a few to see, will put it on a nighttime schedule most likely.
Red flashlight is the only one I had within reach lol. It’s mounted where the UV intake is higher, flows right into the return pump to keep from cycling the same water maybe. Best I can come up with given the space.
IMG_4865.jpeg

Blasto got hit with cyano early, looks like it’s on its way out. The newer of the clowns is acting funny, didn’t see him eat. Little concerning but can’t see anything obvious, I worry I’ve introduced something with the wrasse. Was a lose lose deal the way it arrived. Going to get the qt set up just in case. Other than that everything else seems ok for now.

Last edited:

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This tank looks pristine! Whatever you have done this week has really cleared it up and looks to have resolved any algae issues you had.

What settings are you running on your powerhead? I am running mine at 30% on the Sine setting about 50% down the wall and I get vortex being sucked into the powerhead every so often. Do you not have that issue with yours being so close to the water line?

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! This tank looks pristine! Whatever you have done this week has really cleared it up and looks to have resolved any algae issues you had.

What settings are you running on your powerhead? I am running mine at 30% on the Sine setting about 50% down the wall and I get vortex being sucked into the powerhead every so often. Do you not have that issue with yours being so close to the water line?
Thank you! When the algae was at its worst, I was started running it at 90% in the (pulse mode/w2) on the Jabao a bit lower on the side but did do the vortex you were talking about and freak me out every time haha! I really think that is one of the main things that helped. Forgot to add that part, I did turn it down to around 40-50% and moved it up where it is in the picture now that the algae seems to at bay. Its right on the edge making the vortex but not enough to pull air all the way down. I really wanted to place the powerhead right below the overflow on the back wall but no room with the filter roller. It's something I will continue to play with, might place it in a back corner if possible to help keep junk off the sand.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well my clown is either in hiding or dead. Cannot find a body, would like to get it out but might have been a fancy feast for the cuc… looked in the all through the back chambers and nothing…. Irritating.

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my clown is either in hiding or dead. Cannot find a body, would like to get it out but might have been a fancy feast for the cuc… looked in the all through the back chambers and nothing…. Irritating.
Thats tough. Any of the other fish showing any signs of stress? Might be an issue with the source.

Hoping the clown is just hiding somewhere and will surprise you in the next day or so.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope they seem good, wrasse came out a little today. Even changed my powerhead flow to the bottom right, caused a massive sand storm lol and still nothing. Has me stumped :confused:
IMG_4882.jpeg

Still letting the sand calm down, now have it set to 20% and turned up my return flow a bit. I am not a fan of this ocean direct sand, way too fine.
Did notice and find another toadstool hiding in the back of the other tank. Got it cleaned up and moved over, time will tell. Wasn’t doing well at the time so had moved it to the back and forgot about it. See if it can do something in its new home!
IMG_4883.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back