New possum wrasse problems!

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished acclimatizing my possum wrasse from Reefs4less in my frag tank. He looked like he had orientation issues in bag and he does in tank too. Suggestion ? Video below

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just finished acclimatizing my possum wrasse from Reefs4less in my frag tank. He looked like he had orientation issues in bag and he does in tank too. Suggestion ? Video below

This fish appears to be in trouble. When you say you acclimated it, how did you acclimate and for how long?
Did you equalize the salinity in the bag water with that of the tank?
With acclimation, if bor done right can lead to osmotic shock which here may be the case. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia which lowers the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn makes the ammonia toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia which then raises the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn makes the residual ammonia very toxic to the fish.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish appears to be in trouble. When you say you acclimated it, how did you acclimate and for how long?
Did you equalize the salinity in the bag water with that of the tank?
With acclimation, if bor done right can lead to osmotic shock which here may be the case. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia which lowers the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn makes the ammonia toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia which then raises the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn makes the residual ammonia very toxic to the fish.
Thank you for your input. I did my usual 30 min drip acclimation. He looked like he was in distress from the moment I opened the box.
Think there is any coming back from this?
I had a tail spot blenny with him and he is already trying to eat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for your input. I did my usual 30 min drip acclimation. He looked like he was in distress from the moment I opened the box.
Think there is any coming back from this?
I had a tail spot blenny with him and he is already trying to eat.
Ive seen them bounce back but its rare. You can lower light intensity and add an air stone for best chance. Im not a fan of drip acclimation and 30 minutes including floating bag which I hope you did is not enough

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen them bounce back but its rare. You can lower light intensity and add an air stone for best chance. Im not a fan of drip acclimation and 30 minutes including floating bag which I hope you did is not enough
I did float the bag for 20 min prior to beginning drip acclimation. I really appreciate your input and feel bad for anything I did to contribute to his condition.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did float the bag for 20 min prior to beginning drip acclimation. I really appreciate your input and feel bad for anything I did to contribute to his condition.
The key is to know the salinity the fish was shipped in versus your tank. Marine fish don’t handle a big rise in salinity well, even with good acclimation. Then, shipping is always stressful, and some losses are to be expected.

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is to know the salinity the fish was shipped in versus your tank. Marine fish don’t handle a big rise in salinity well, even with good acclimation. Then, shipping is always stressful, and some losses are to be expected.
I did not consider the salinity of the water fish was in. Thank you for the wisdom.
Surprisingly, he’s still fighting. Maybe improving (?)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not consider the salinity of the water fish was in. Thank you for the wisdom.

It looks better? Is is eating yet?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The good news is that IME, this usually resolves (but not always). As Jay mentioned, the key is getting it to eat. I'm assuming you didn't QT the fish? I don't know if your vendor does it for you?

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is that IME, this usually resolves (but not always). As Jay mentioned, the key is getting it to eat. I'm assuming you didn't QT the fish? I don't know if your vendor does it for you?
My frag tank is my qt tank. I’ll find out soon

OP
OP
J

johnmac28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he
Meaning that you are not treating with copper, etc, correct?
That is correct, thank you. In link below you’ll be that he seems better. Has not taken food on the first attempt. Tried frozen brine. I hope he makes it. Any tips on how to improve his odds would be appreciated.

Back