New reefbreeders app

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t be the only one seeing what’s about to happen here…..buy a new light, if you want to control spectrum, that’ll be $19.99 a month subscription fee, $9.99 each additional light. Oh, you want moon light too?? $5.99 a month. At that point you will have an led version of the metal halide, turns on-turns off, all it does. Turning reef keeping into a pay-to-win cell phone game!! No thanks!!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If thst happens, I can switch lights.
Other companies see it happening who’s to say they won’t all jump on board. All it takes is one firmware update to take away my ability to control my radions. We’ve all gotta take a stand on this immediately.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bertram :thinking-face:

EDIT This is pretty crappy since I already have 3 photons. Good timing as I was going over things on my new build just last night and was considering swapping out my noopsyche k7s for photons. Guess I'll stick with the noops. I've already stopped buying any ecotech equipment so I guess I'll add Reefbreeders to the boycott list if they go down the path they appear to be headed.
I've about had enough of this crap of buying something and then having to pay to use it.

Last edited:

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had already planned later this year going back to halides or at the very least T5HO. Honestly, this is part of the last little push I needed to ditch Reefbreeders.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...For 2 years we will provide all premium upgrades in the ReefBreeders app for free. This includes features like Bluetooth control, Acclimation Mode, multiple languages, API Moon scheduling and more.
This means any premium updates over the next 2 years will be completely free, and you’ll own them forever.​
Bluetooth control, acclimation mode, multiple languages behind paywalls? No thank you, a remote works just fine.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluetooth control, acclimation mode, multiple languages behind paywalls? No thank you, a remote works just fine.
I think you can upgrade from remote to the app, not sure why anyone would at this point. I wonder if it's possible to downgrade to a remote :thinking-face: I'd be down with that.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, but you'll get it for free for 2 years! :rolleyes:

I seriously hate paywalls for features. Let's consider the fact that now too the "new" meridians are priced higher as well. Should be getting those features at the cost of entry. I'm just not going to support companies that do this anymore.

Sorry for ranting here, but it's just ridiculous.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky you ;)
Funny thing when I bought them they were on sale because they had just released the new fancy app controlled lights. You could buy an upgrade to make them app compatible but it was like 100$ more per light. My thought was once the lights are set really no need to mess with them so I passed.

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, do the existing settings from the Nexus app transfer over to the new app? Or do we have to manually configure the lights again? The video seems to suggest the latter.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going by all the threads I see on this automation stuff makes it seem just awful.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, do the existing settings from the Nexus app transfer over to the new app? Or do we have to manually configure the lights again? The video seems to suggest the latter.
You have to set them up all over again like they were fresh out of the box.

Jon112378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transitioned to the new app and it was pretty smooth. Only problem is my moonlight will not come on sometimes. Other nights it comes on according to schedule. I'm not using the moon phase feature so there's no reason it shouldn't be coming on. Anyone else having this problem?

Jon112378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone transition thier photons to the new app? I just got the email stating that I need to switch by June 1st. Being slightly tech challenged I'm wondering if it's a smooth transition or like starting all over?
Screenshot_20240426-170520.png
It was pretty smooth for me on iOS. Only not so great part is that you have to input your schedule all over again. Also the moonlight has not come on on random nights.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back