OP
P

PokyReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I super apolgize for the mix up, My Bulb Configuration is as FOLLOWS, - 4 Atinic Blues 1 aquablue azure 3 Super Atinics 2 Super Purples

Also I will say the azures remind me of a 14-18 k range a very soft whitesh blue, The closest thing to ATI blue Plus is the Atinic Blues (I will try and post a picture of ATI blue plus VS - The Giesemann Atinic Blues

4 azures

2 atinic blues

3 super atinics

1 super purple
I will post some pics, befores and afters.

BigKev23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also trying out the new Giesemann bulbs, coming from always using ATI bulbs. I am running 2 Actinic Blue, 1 Aquablue Azure and 1 Super Actinic. I was previously running 2 Blue Plus, 1 Coral Plus, and 1 Actinic Plus. I have noticed that my tank is a touch bluer with the Gmann bulbs, but overall the new bulbs seem very similiar to the ATI bulbs. Actinic Blue is a slightly bluer Blue Plus, Aquablue Azure is sort of a mix between an Aquablue Plus and a Coral Plus, and the actinic is similiar the the Actinic Plus. I have only been running them for two weeks so far, but they seem to be quality bulbs.

OP
OP
P

PokyReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was going to do a strict 4 bulb complete t5 combo I would use one azure (for daylight), 1 super purple and 2 blues

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed a 4 lamp T5 fixture over my frag tank with the current bulb configuration. Aquablue Azure x2, Actinic and a super actinic. I am going to let it run 48 hours but may add a super purple to replace an aquablue azure till the aquablue corals lamps arrive. I would suggest a super actinic, actinic, Aquablue Coral and aquablue azure unless you want a bluer tank then replace the aquablue azure with an actinic.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed a 4 lamp T5 fixture over my frag tank with the current bulb configuration. Aquablue Azure x2, Actinic and a super actinic. I am going to let it run 48 hours but may add a super purple to replace an aquablue azure till the aquablue corals lamps arrive. I would suggest a super actinic, actinic, Aquablue Coral and aquablue azure unless you want a bluer tank then replace the aquablue azure with an actinic.

J, can I pick your brain about my ATI 8x 60" for color combo?
If you want me to send you a Email let me know.
Will throw a order at ya too if it makes my tank look better than yours, LOL!

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J, can I pick your brain about my ATI 8x 60" for color combo?
If you want me to send you a Email let me know.
Will throw a order at ya too if it makes my tank look better than yours, LOL!

Sure you can pick my brain all you want. :xd:
Your tank is well on its way of being one of the greats.
Simon said it best when choosing the lamps as there is a certain combination of T5 you will find work well together. "As a general rule, the most common combination ( or safest bet visually and biologically) if it's your first time on t5 when looking at say an 8 tube unit, would be 4 x aqua blue coral, 2 x actinic blue and 2 x actinic super. This is pretty much a default mix..similar to the old 10k halide + Narva blue t5 combination that was the mainstay of successful reef lighting for many many years..Use that combination and if your corals are still struggling then start looking somewhere other than your lighting."

From there, some users may wish to swap out say one of the actinic supers for a purple or Azzure or try additional combinations. In fact some people who are more growth than colour demanding, may even be inclined to swap out one or more of the aqua blue coral lamps for tropics to deliver a larger degree of punch at the red end for shallow water corals and to simulate a more natural upper reef light field."

I myself prefer the 14-18k crisp white look. So for every warmer lamp I balance with a cool. I think for my 4 lamp fixture I will be doing one aquablue coral, one aquablue azure, an actinic blue and a actinic super possibly a super purple.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon said it best when choosing the lamps as there is a certain combination of T5 you will find work well together. "As a general rule, the most common combination ( or safest bet visually and biologically) if it's your first time on t5 when looking at say an 8 tube unit, would be 4 x aqua blue coral, 2 x actinic blue and 2 x actinic super. This is pretty much a default mix..similar to the old 10k halide + Narva blue t5 combination that was the mainstay of successful reef lighting for many many years..Use that combination and if your corals are still struggling then start looking somewhere other than your lighting."

From there, some users may wish to swap out say one of the actinic supers for a purple or Azzure or try additional combinations. In fact some people who are more growth than colour demanding, may even be inclined to swap out one or more of the aqua blue coral lamps for tropics to deliver a larger degree of punch at the red end for shallow water corals and to simulate a more natural upper reef light field."

I myself prefer the 14-18k crisp white look. So for every warmer lamp I balance with a cool. I think for my 4 lamp fixture I will be doing one aquablue coral, one aquablue azure, an actinic blue and a actinic super possibly a super purple.

Ok, these are all Giesemann bulbs.
Now you told me your Crystal ball secret how does that compare to ATI bulbs?
I have a color combo from front to back,
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +
Purple +
Actinic
Blue +
Purple +
Blue +
Would you change them out for Giesemann?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to speak too much about them before their break-in period is done, but I'd venture a guess that comparing bulb to bulb most people would have difficulty telling Giesemann from ATI, they are very similar. I'll have more on this in about 12 days or so once the bulbs I'm using have fully broken in.

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, these are all Giesemann bulbs.
Now you told me your Crystal ball secret how does that compare to ATI bulbs?
I have a color combo from front to back,
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +
Purple +
Actinic
Blue +
Purple +
Blue +

Honestly I can not compare. I am just getting into T5 just recently and do not have experience with ATI. Back in the day I use to use VHO off of IceCap ballasts. But from what I am experiencing looking into these Giesemann lamps the more I am liking them. From what I am hearing the ATI lamps and Giesemann are relatively similar as far as what to expect visually. Most users are finding a new favorite T5 lamp.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I can not compare. I am just getting into T5 just recently and do not have experience with ATI. Back in the day I use to use VHO off of IceCap ballasts. But from what I am experiencing looking into these Giesemann lamps the more I am liking them. From what I am hearing the ATI lamps and Giesemann are relatively similar as far as what to expect visually. Most users are finding a new favorite T5 lamp.

Ok, Rookie, LOL
I'll take you for your word.
Is your Email the same as Chris only with your first name?
I might go ahead and get me some Giesemann bulbs in.

Ben.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to speak too much about them before their break-in period is done, but I'd venture a guess that comparing bulb to bulb most people would have difficulty telling Giesemann from ATI, they are very similar. I'll have more on this in about 12 days or so once the bulbs I'm using have fully broken in.

Thanks for the info.
You know us hobbyist are always looking to improve.
As of now I have awesome color on the tank, just replaced a Blue + for a Actinic about a week ago and it broke in very well.
I will go ahead and get me some Giesemanns in just in case.
What's your color combo from front to back as I may ask?

Ben.

Guerry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just rebulbed my frag tank lighting with the new Giesemans and must say I'm impressed. Being a loyal ATI user over the years made it a little hard to pull the trigger here but glad I did, in my eyes we are getting what appears to me as a 15k look with our current bulb choise
front to back positions
aguablue azure
super actinic
aquablue azure
actinic blue
aquablue azure
actinic blue
these are in a 36" ATI sunpower fixture, Par numbers are about same but the color just seems cleaner to me when compairing to my display system which has 8 bulb 60" ATIs

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am going with the aquablue coral,aquablue azure, actinic + and super purple. what in the order of bulbs front to back? Is this a good combo?

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with the aquablue coral,aquablue azure, actinic + and super purple. what in the order of bulbs front to back? Is this a good combo?

Sounds like a good mix. I would place them according to what looks best. You will likely find that the two aquablue lamps are best separated by the actinic a and purple. Depending on if your a believer of ultra violet lights impact on the reef you may want to consider the Super Actinic as well to swap out for the Super Purple.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you not like the purple? I have already placed my order. lol

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you not like the purple? I have already placed my order. lol

Sorry for the very delayed response. I do like the purple but would only suggest it for fixtures with more than 4 lamps to help supplement the color. I am guessing you already have the lamp. What is your opinion?

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a blue Reefbright LED to you t5s and you will be amazed how much they do for the stale look t5s put off...game changer for me!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This my first t-5 lighting system and the combo I chose looks really nice. Since I have no Idea what other bulb combos would look like I cannot comment. What I have with these Gieseman bulbs corals are popping and look really nice..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back