New tank/new clownfish Brooklynella

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, this is my first post here after setting up my first saltwater tank. Just put these two into my tank on Sunday. They are the first fish in the tank after a month of cycling. I did notice the larger of the two has these white looking dots. I’m not sure if that is just coloration or something else. I know to watch for ich and and other diseases such as brook so I wanted to be sure. She’s is actively eating and putting her little friend in place lol. Is this something that I should worry about? No odd behavior and eating like a champ. I don’t see any slime or anything. In fact the spots look like they are part of her skin. Any ideas would definitely be appreciated!

IMG_9491.jpeg IMG_9490.jpeg IMG_9492.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
derek12261984 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and my tests look good…. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 5 ppm of nitrates.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh and my tests look good…. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 5 ppm of nitrates.
Disregard nitrites associated with freshwater and may be an Api kit giving false readings
Please provide pics under brighter lighting

OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard nitrites associated with freshwater and may be an Api kit giving false readings
Please provide pics under brighter lighting
Thank you! Here are better pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_9502.jpeg
    IMG_9502.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9503.jpeg
    IMG_9503.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9504.jpeg
    IMG_9504.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9517.jpeg
    IMG_9517.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9527.jpeg
    IMG_9527.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 15

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not think this is an issue with your test kits (since 99.9 percent of issues are a falsely elevated ammonia with API, not a '0'. That said - It would be interesting to know how you cycled your tank (as well as white light pictures - if you can - and additionally could you put an arrow where the spots are? PS - you posted the photos while I was typing. Did you QT the fish? (with medication) - how long have you had them. I do see some 'frayed fins' - but again the lighting makes it really difficult. Hopefully you're enjoying your foray into reef tanks welcome to the site! (also if you can answer the questions remaining from Jay hemdals post. Thanks)

OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think this is an issue with your test kits (since 99.9 percent of issues are a falsely elevated ammonia with API, not a '0'. That said - It would be interesting to know how you cycled your tank (as well as white light pictures - if you can - and additionally could you put an arrow where the spots are? PS - you posted the photos while I was typing. Did you QT the fish? (with medication) - how long have you had them. I do see some 'frayed fins' - but again the lighting makes it really difficult. Hopefully you're enjoying your foray into reef tanks welcome to the site! (also if you can answer the questions remaining from Jay hemdals post. Thanks)
Thank you so much! I just put them in on Sunday. I did post some new pictures, so hopefully those are a little better. I cycled the tank for a month with a bacterial starter called seed. There was no fish or cleanup crew in there until last week when I added snails and a few hermits. I did not QT these guys since they were the first fish in the tank. The spots are right behind the eyes.

OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_9504.jpeg
    IMG_9504.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 12

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks alot - IMHO - that looks like Ich - there are other spots on the body (that I see). I would suggest you use the quarantine protocol in the stickie. Now -another thing - you could wait - and see if it resolves - and recurs (that would be nearly diagnostic of ich) - if they re-appear in different locations. OK on the cycling

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This appears to be ich parasite and fish will need to be treated in a separate treatment tank with coppersafe at 2.25 therapeutic level and monitored with preferably Hanna copper test kit for full 30 days. Treat both and leave your tank fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be ich parasite and fish will need to be treated in a separate treatment tank with coppersafe at 2.25 therapeutic level and monitored with preferably Hanna copper test kit for full 30 days. Treat both and leave your tank fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Thank you so much!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back