Newbie? Looking to get into saltwater? On a budget? Here are some lists for you!

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
max-nano-peninsula-red-sea.jpg

(Photo from https://reefbuilders.com/2023/08/14/how-to-set-up-a-nano-reef-tank/. didn't use anything from there but that photo, just thought it looked cool)

As a Newbie myself, I struggled with finding affordable equipment on a tight budget, but after a lot of researching, I figured it out! So here are some lists if you are on a budget! including from $300-500, $750-1000! NOTE, ALL IS IN USD

Starting off for the 300-500$ budget, We have nano AIO tanks! These tanks are great for a beginner because they include everything needed to start a new saltwater tank! Some good choices are the Tideline 11.4(my personal tank and I love it), the IM nuvo 15-20, the waterbox 15-20, and the fluval 13.5! If you are willing to spend 50$ more dollars, you can buy the hello reef kit, which comes with everything you will need(except test kits) to start a tank(EVERYTHING!!!)
For rocks, you can go to your lfs.
Salt: use instant ocean salt
Sand: aragalive is great!(research for what sand you want!)
Bacteria: I personally used 3x the recommended amount of turbostart 900 on my tank. This is great because if added correctly(3x the recommended amount), you can cycle your tank in around a week!
You can use a cheap $20 heater on amazon for your size tank
you can buy some pillow stuffing on Walmart instead of filter fluff
For the Ro(or rodi) system, personally I use this: https://www.amazon.com/3-Stage-Portable-Aquarium-Countertop-Reverse and love it!
For the light, buy a noopsyche k7mini(YOU DO NOT NEED THIS UNTIL YOU GET CORALS!)
For test kits, Buy salifert or redsea, I use tetra test strips but nobody likes when I use those(they compare to salifert :D)
This is all you will really need until you get fish! (get A clown(not a pair unless you have more than 30, the a clown always find a way to unlive themselves)(in my experience they do)

For the 750-100$ budget, you can chose any below 30 gallon nano tank, buy better test kits, use Red Sea blue bucket salt, and upgrade what you want!

Before you buy any corals, please wait 6months AFTER the tank cycles!

Hope this helps!
STEWY

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back