Newbie water temp disaster

scotts8826

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot going on the day I decided to change out my water so I made the mistake of doing tank maintenance in a hurry. I have a thermometer in my new water that said it was high. Around 80-81 when my tank temperature is 77-78. I thought I could get away with it so I dumped in the new water assuming it would mix with the tank water and all would be fine. It wasn't Most of my corals died from the temperature shock. My tank is 7 months old and the corals were really showing good growth. All my SPS corals are toast. All the LPS which include torch, hammer and frogspawn and Duncans have their polyps shrunk to half size.

So, my question is, will the LPS corals come back eventually or are they just dying a slower death?

Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank but something bad can happen quick!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a lot going on the day I decided to change out my water so I made the mistake of doing tank maintenance in a hurry. I have a thermometer in my new water that said it was high. Around 80-81 when my tank temperature is 77-78. I thought I could get away with it so I dumped in the new water assuming it would mix with the tank water and all would be fine. It wasn't Most of my corals died from the temperature shock. My tank is 7 months old and the corals were really showing good growth. All my SPS corals are toast. All the LPS which include torch, hammer and frogspawn and Duncans have their polyps shrunk to half size.

So, my question is, will the LPS corals come back eventually or are they just dying a slower death?

As the water cools, they should regain their energy and color slowly. It was likely temporary shock as a 3 deg variance should not have killed them

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sorry to hear that, how much % of total water volume was the water change?
Did you have any flow?
When i do 20% water changes i actually never worry about temperature changes, I just use RODI water, add salt mix and then water in and out and thats it. Maybe it adjust to room temperature but never has made my corals die on me.
Could it be that the salt was not mixed that well? What was the difference in temp after the water change?

OP
OP
S

scotts8826

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank. I was doing about a 20% water change. I was also hooking up a UV clarifier/sterilizer because I have a SMALL Hippo Tang that was showing signs of Ich. If the water temperature did not kill my Monti's and birdsnest, I am wondering what I did differently this one time? The good news is that with generous feeding, Nori and the UV light, my tang is not showing any more signs of ich. He seems to be pulling through!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water did you change? I'm not condoning it, but I have done water changes with mismatched water temp with little to no effect. Are there other factors that could be at play?
I was thinking that also. …
I have a 75 gallon tank. I was doing about a 20% water change. I was also hooking up a UV clarifier/sterilizer because I have a SMALL Hippo Tang that was showing signs of Ich. If the water temperature did not kill my Monti's and birdsnest, I am wondering what I did differently this one time? The good news is that with generous feeding, Nori and the UV light, my tang is not showing any more signs of ich. He seems to be pulling through!
That change shouldn’t have killed your corals, something else must be amiss…
The UV doesn’t exactly cure ich, it could just be in that part of the cycle … I’d still be vigilant …
…don’t believe the hype with temperature , if its over 70F and you are comfortable, the fish/corals will live

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you forget to add the salt?

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are youre nutrients? Maybe the waterchange pulled out the last po4 and no3 that was in the tank and caused some zooxanthelle ( or however you spell it) to leave the coral tissue and die.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a negative Nancy, but of Hippo Tang that was showing signs of Ich, UV sterilizer is not very useful. But, I have a bias against them when it comes to parasite control. But then again, the same goes for algae. I just don't like them.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back