NOT ENOUGH SALT TO COMPLETE WATER CHANGE

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, So I am doing a deep clean in my tank, it’s a 75 Gallon tank with fish only, with a 25 Gallon Sump, I took out the water then noticed that I don’t have enough salt to make new water, and I already dumped out my old water, I put in 3 gallons wirh the correct amount of salt (1.025) and now I have 20 gallons to go in and when I usually have 1.025ppm of salt per change this time I only have 1.019ppm, what should I do?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. 1.019 is good for fish only.
You can just leave it there.
Its corals and inverts that need 1.025.
If you do raise it in the future, no more than .001 per day otherwise fish might be upset.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you already mixed the salt you had in with the water, your only real option is to get more salt. . .

what is your filtration like? How low can your system run without the pumps/filtration running dry?

Check you LFS, big box stores (Petco/Petsmart), and maybe even Walmart for more salt or premixed saltwater (though most stores that sell premixed should sell salt.)

OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. 1.019 is good for fish only.
Corals and inverts need 1.025.
If you do raise it in the future, no more than .001 per day otherwise fish might be upset.
Alright, I have a bunch of inverts in my tank… from snails to 1 hermit crab and 1 shrimp

OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already mixed the salt you had in with the water, your only real option is to get more salt. . .

what is your filtration like? How low can your system run without the pumps/filtration running dry?

Check you LFS, big box stores (Petco/Petsmart), and maybe even Walmart for more salt or premixed saltwater (though most stores that sell premixed should sell salt.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 39

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off your ATO, put a fan on your tank and let some evaporation happen. The more evap you create, the faster your salinity concentrates.

At least it's something until a store opens up.

Even if it means turning off your return pump, turning on power heads and dropping a heater in your display. Pointing those power heads up to increase surface agitation will also help increase evaporation.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turn off your ATO, put a fan on your tank and let some evaporation happen. The more evap you create, the faster your salinity concentrates.

At least it's something until a store opens up.

Even if it means turning off your return pump, turning on power heads and dropping a heater in your display.
If you cannot get more salt/water tonight I would move the media and any other life supporting equipment out of the sump and into the display and run the tank as if you don't have a sump until you can get more salt/water tomorrow.

OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The water comes in through the top of the tank, hits 2 large sponges, then it hits 2 filter socks, then it has to flow by some zeolite crystals, then I have a bag full of biomax then I have a bag full of carbon before entering the chamber where the return pump is located.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water comes in through the top of the tank, hits 2 large sponges, then it hits 2 filter socks, then it has to flow by some zeolite crystals, then I have a bag full of biomax then I have a bag full of carbon before entering the chamber where the return pump is located.
You don't need all of that.

Forget about filtration for now.

Turn off return pump. Get a heater and some power heads in the display. Run fans full time to concentrate the water.

All that other stuff is superfluous in the short term.

After your SG is in a safer window, then go back to your whole system with all of its accoutrements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need all of that.

Forget about filtration for now.

Trump of return pump. Get a heater and some power heads in the display. Run fans full time to concentrate the water.

All that other stuff is superfluous in the short term.
Alright I have a large heater, a smaller heater, a large power head and a smaller power head should I put them all up there and let them run?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go to the grocery store and buy actual sea salt, It will be expensive comparatively. But it is a food grade seawater evaporated. You will not have all the other stuff the salt we use but it will do in a pinch (Pun----< :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:) The ratio should be about the same. Then you can just do a water change later

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I have a large heater, a smaller heater, a large power head and a smaller power head should I put them all up there and let them run?
As much as is reasonable. No more flow or heater than l would be appropriate for your display. But do make sure you initiate surface aggitation with the power head(s).

And as speedo says, if you can get sea salt, do that.

OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the salt you get is not Iodized, although I don't think there is not enough iodine in there to be an issue.
Just natural sea salt.
Okay so if I get normal sea salt I’d be able to fill the tank and hold it until tomorrow correct? And then tomorrow I redo the water change but with the correct salt, I’m sorry I’ve had the tank for a while but I’m relatively new at this

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so if I get normal sea salt I’d be able to fill the tank and hold it until tomorrow correct? And then tomorrow I redo the water change but with the correct salt, I’m sorry I’ve had the tank for a while but I’m relatively new at this
Exactly that. Get it to SG with natural sea salt.

Do a WC tomorrow with the reef salt of your choice.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so little I would just wait until your next water change. You are not going to hurt anything

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back