NOT ENOUGH SALT TO COMPLETE WATER CHANGE

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... LOL. We are letting a new reefer that there is more than just one solution to an issue. All will work an be effective. They can chose the option that works for them the best.
I personally have a big thing of Costco sea salt in the cabinet so that's where my mind went. If I didn't I would run it like @Reef. suggested then the next day add more salt water and let it evaporate to the correct salinity like you suggest.
I don't disagree. But when it started crossing streams (paths towards correction). I felt like it was best to step out since you and I agree on his possible corrective actions. Rather than stir up the same info, let it come from one source.

We all want him/her to succeed! Not get confused and say "F this hobby".

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I 100% can get salt tomorrow morning, the only thing with running the tank is that the water is not high enough in order to reach the “drain”
Thats not an issue if you move the heaters in the display, as long as you have a power head in there, the water will not hit the skimmer etc not an issue, maybe put the fish on a no food diet for a few hours lol

OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not an issue if you move the heaters in the display, as long as you have a power head in there, the water will not hit the skimmer etc not an issue, maybe put the fish on a no food diet for a few hours lol
Okay I’ll put the main heater on the main display and I’ll forward a picture in 2 minutes to make sure everything looks fine

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree. But when it started crossing streams (paths towards correction). I felt like it was best to step out since you and I agree on his possible corrective actions. Rather than stir up the same info, let it come from one source.

We all want him/her to succeed! Not get confused and say "F this hobby".
To be fair, if your argument is too many people offering help is confusing, telling the OP to lower the salinity in the display is adding to the confusion not helping as the display has the correct salinity, so why would the OP want to lower it?

OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first image is large power head and large heater

Second image is small power head

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 49

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, if your argument is too many people offering help is confusing, telling the OP to lower the salinity in the display is adding to the confusion not helping as the display has the correct salinity, so why would the OP want to lower it?
Literally nobody said lower salinity in the display. I don't want to be rude in this thread. Somebody needed help and it was offered up. I'm sorry you cannot read. If you would like to continue, feel free to PM me.

Until then, I digress.

OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one last thing, I have this algae in one of my rocks and I wonder if it’s coralline or cyano, I did the touch test and the turkey baster test and nothing happened it stayed as it was! I’ll send a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 40

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally nobody said lower salinity in the display. I don't want to be rude in this thread. Somebody needed help and it was offered up. I'm sorry you cannot read. If you would like to continue, feel free to PM me.

Until then, I digress.
Sorry when I said lower it I meant you said to turn of the ato and increase evaporation to raise salinity, why would the OP need to either raise or lower salinity in the display when it is correct?…My point is, you jumped in saying the thread was confusing but then added to that confusion with incorrect information.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry missed the coralline aglae issue, what are you asking about coralline algae?

Oh right…probably not as you need to add coralline algae to the tank to grow it, it normally is on some coral you buy, comes into your tank that way, could come in on a snail etc too so could be but it looks more like cyno…coralline you can scrub on it and it wont come off so give it a good scrub, you need a blade to get it off, my guess is it’s cyno.

OP
OP
F

fishylui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry missed the coralline aglae issue, what are you asking about coralline algae?
Yeah so, there is this algae on one of my rocks that I did a turkey baster test and a touch test and the algae was kind of glued to the rock it didn’t move not even a little bit

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry when I said lower it I meant you said to turn of the ato and increase evaporation to raise salinity, why would the OP need to either raise or lower salinity in the display when it is correct?…My point is, you jumped in saying the thread was confusing but then added to that confusion with incorrect information.
I jumped in on post three or four... I stepped out to help. Speedo knew what I was getting at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm curious. if you take all the time devoted to this thread, would it be more or less time versus going to the store and getting salt?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped in on post three or four... I stepped out to help. Speedo knew what I was getting at.
Not sure why i would need to PM you, all good, just pointing out that we all add something, telling others to step out of the conversation is probably not wise if you go on to give incorrect info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so, there is this algae on one of my rocks that I did a turkey baster test and a touch test and the algae was kind of glued to the rock it didn’t move not even a little bit
I edited my post, if you go back and read that, bottom line is I think it”s cyno…easy to fix, scrub rock out of tank, rinse with tank water, and up flow or,if loads of flow, change rocks around so all sides is getting hit with some water movement.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back