Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1700447532279.png

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, quick update I got the salt this morning and the fish are doing great! Thank you so much everyone for the help!
Speaking of "future reference" and the painfully obvious, I'd advise to mix the appropriate amount of fresh saltwater before starting a water change.

Glad it turned out okay.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of "future reference" and the painfully obvious, I'd advise to mix the appropriate amount of fresh saltwater before starting a water change.

Glad it turned out okay.
Agreed -- also, most mix their new saltwater for some amount of time before using so aren't likely to run into this situation.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turn off your ATO, put a fan on your tank and let some evaporation happen. The more evap you create, the faster your salinity concentrates.

At least it's something until a store opens up.

Even if it means turning off your return pump, turning on power heads and dropping a heater in your display. Pointing those power heads up to increase surface agitation will also help increase evaporation.
He doesn't have enough water to run his pumps/sump. Not sure why he would want evaporation - in a tank that is not full?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright I 100% can get salt tomorrow morning, the only thing with running the tank is that the water is not high enough in order to reach the “drain”
Right. I'm not sure why people are talking about trying to evaporate water, etc. The best thing would be to put a pump (for flow - if you don't have one - I assume you do already) - as well as a heater in your display tank. Tomorrow AM - mix up 1.025 saltwater - fill your tank, and you're all good. Otherwise - even if you added just enough water at 1.019, to keep your pump, sump running, do that slowly (as someone has suggested). Then tomorrow - add a slightly higher SG water lets say 1.027-28 - up to the usual volume once you have new salt.

EDIT - PS - looking at your picture of the tank 'now' - it seems like you would be needing to add a fair bit more water than at least I was assuming.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah so, there is this algae on one of my rocks that I did a turkey baster test and a touch test and the algae was kind of glued to the rock it didn’t move not even a little bit
that sounds more like corralline - but perhaps attack one problem at a time:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed -- also, most mix their new saltwater for some amount of time before using so aren't likely to run into this situation.
Agree - some salts need to be mixed for 24 hours before use in a tank.

adammarcos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, So I am doing a deep clean in my tank, it’s a 75 Gallon tank with fish only, with a 25 Gallon Sump, I took out the water then noticed that I don’t have enough salt to make new water, and I already dumped out my old water, I put in 3 gallons wirh the correct amount of salt (1.025) and now I have 20 gallons to go in and when I usually have 1.025ppm of salt per change this time I only have 1.019ppm, what should I do?
what is your filtration like? How low can your system run without the pumps/filtration running dry?

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if there is a reef club in your area and I am sure someone would give you enough salt to finish your water change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back