Opinions on new 120 set up & aquascape

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blah blah blah? Why so aggressive. If your position was correct you would be able to cite it in some literature somewhere. You haven't give a single fact or cited one thing to back up your claim, just some anecdotal things about plumbing a house, which has nothing to do with this.

It's called the Hydrostatic Paradox, and they figured it out about 300 years ago. It doesn't matter if it's a 1" diameter pipe, or the bottom of the ocean. If you have 20' of vertical water height the pressure exerted at the bottom is the same. Pressure is independent of volume or expanse. For example, the water pressure behind a fresh water dam at 100 feet deep is about 43.3 pis regardless of whether the dam's reservoir is 25 miles long or 10 feet long. Depth and fluid density are the only relevant parameters needed to determine pressure. If you have some information to back up what you're saying I would love to see it, cause if I am wrong, we should stop telling all the Scuba students we instruct how water pressure actually works, and while we're at it, inform the Navy Seals so they can fix their decompression algorithms. I'm sorry if your life experiences don't align with 300 years of science, but it doesn't make the science any less true. Since you won't give any cited information, I will.

Here is an excerpt from a book for new plumbers of all things. It describes perfectly how it works.

https://books.google.com/books?id=F...age&q=hydrostatic paradox in plumbing&f=false

Here is another excerpt:

https://books.google.com/books?id=5...age&q=hydrostatic paradox in plumbing&f=false

Another:

Vertical pressure variation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think I'll ever be able to convince you, but for everyone else, you should do your own research before relying on someone else's unproven, unsubstantiated word.

As to the original poster, your system looks fine. Is it giving you much noise or bubbles?

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this went in a different direction haha. Here is the update:

The system is working like a champ, some slight leaks in the baffles due to poor silicone job (my first attemp) but it doesn't adversely affect the purpose of the baffles in a major way.

No micro bubbles making it to the DT. Not real noise to speak of either.

The water does spill over the fuge baffle as designed but am planning to alter this to drive water across the fuge so it flows through instead over haphazardly over the one long baffle.

I spilt the drain instead of the return because I want the water entering the fuge to be unfiltered by the skimmer. The skimmer may have a minimal effect but it is an effect none the less. Also, I chose not to split the return because I do not want to have diced pods. Again I realize having them potentially recirculate may not have a large impact but an impact none the less.

Still need to get a fuge light, the ATO is delivered today and will be connected to my TOM aqua lifter.

I use Air, Water, Ice 5 stage RO/DI.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have been splitting drain lines for years, and is a common way to go. I'm glad things are working well for you. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat, and your's seem to be a good way. I prefer to DIY stuff over store bought anyways. To me building the tank up and tweaking it is half the fun!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back