Fixer-upper reef

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Saturday, I picked up a fish tank from a guy that was leaving the hobby and giving his entire setup for free. He had told me that he hadn’t been keeping up with his tank and it needed some work. I didn’t realize how much worm until I got the tank home.
The tank is roughly 100 gallons, and it’s 30”h x 48”l x 16”w. It is sitting on a 30” stand.
The stand has a steel frame covered in pressboard, and a top and bottom rim made out of pressboard. It was all severely water damaged. It has a sump measuring 15”h x 36”l x 10w.
For equipment, it had a return pump (unknown brand) putting out 1500lph/400gph; a Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer (nonfunctioning); UV sterilizer (unknown brand, didn’t test) Aquatop 200w heater (nonfunctioning); 2-bulb t8 light fixture (nonfunctioning); and Jebao SCP-120 gyre pump (damaged power cord).

Now, it has:
Sicce Syncra 4.0
Bubble Magus skimmer (replaced pump)
Eheim Jager 200w heater
2 NooPysche K7 pro lights (still waiting for them to arrive)
Jebao SCP-120 gyre (bought a new one)

I’m working on removing the wood from the tank, and replacing the wood on the stand with solid oak. The plastic rim of the tank is also damaged and will need replacing. The lid it came with is weird, and I removed it and bought a set of glass lids that don’t fit right because of the broken rim. The tank also doesn’t have a center brace, and I made a temporary solution to hold the lids, but will need a more permanent solution in the future.
The tank has a single corner overflow, with a single return, a drain, an emergency drain and what looks like a third drain? The return and main drain are 3/4in pipes, and the other two drains are 1/2in pipes.

As for stock, the tank had a percula clownfish pair, a three-striped damsel pair, and a pink smith damsel. I sold the three-stripe damsels because I hate most types of damsel, but am hoping the pink smith will work out.

IMG_7039.jpeg IMG_7038.jpeg IMG_7136.jpeg IMG_7140.jpeg IMG_7142.jpeg IMG_7144.jpeg IMG_7143.jpeg

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the lid with a glass lid set and made a temporary center brace using a paint stick. I am going to ask a friend with a 3d printer if he can print a center brace that can be glued/siliconed on to the tank. The Noo-Psyche K7 III pro lights finally arrived, and I also got a coral beauty angel that is currently in quarantine.

Attachments

• IMG_7497.jpeg
    IMG_7497.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7492.jpeg
    IMG_7492.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7494.jpeg
    IMG_7494.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 10

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back