OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish sold at petco all come from the same wholesales (usually quality marine).

Ordering to your door is pretty much the same as ordering anywhere else, if its cheaper go for it. Petco's reputation is what they try to care for, not really how they arrive, animals that sit in the store under the care of inexperienced keepers are whats good to avoid unless you have a really nice petco.
Thanks for the information, I was wondering what their main supplier was.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information, I was wondering what their main supplier was.
Just to reiterate, that's not confirmed their supplier but most likely is.

A lot of stores use multiple supplier and some might do different ones.

This is typical as usually one wholesales doesn't have everything they want or another has something unique to that company (quality marine doesn't do freshwater, so if they ordered from segrest instead they likely get cheaper cost and less shipments.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco hasn’t owned liveaquaria since at least 2020

I always wondered who that "holding company" is. The 104st street Los Angeles wholesalers are an opaque group to say the least. They sometimes work together, and sometimes are rivals. They merge and change names and produce offshoots, at a rate that I just can't keep up with.

I've heard, but can't confirm that 80% of the Banggai cardinals come in through Quality Marine and then are resold to the other distributors.

In this case, I've heard that these Petco fish are drop shipped from Quality Marine. If so, that takes special consideration as these fish often get "double bounced" - arriving from overseas and then shipped out to you the next day. For sure, anyone opting for this should go with priority overnight shipping.

Jay

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 8 fish from Petco but did it in store and paid no shipping by piggy backing on their order for the store. Fish were still in the shipping bags when I got there and I brought them straight home and onto QT. Great option for saving on shipping.

DreadedNomad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you! I saw that they had free shipping but I didn't add anything to the cart, and so I didn't realize that they made you pay for next day delivery. Thanks for the input!
It is not quite as you said. Free shipping is over 35$ and you have to pay extra for next day shipping, so let's say you buy fish for 36$, you still have to pay 30-35$ for next day shipping. Looks as if there is free next day shipping over some value, but it looks as it is something like $100+
That’s still way cheaper for next day shipping than any other place I found online. Maybe 45$ is the next lowest. If you’re only buying one fish that’s the same price as shipping or cheaper it seems expensive but if you’re spending money it’s fine. I’m fact other places don’t even do next day air with that 45$ you still wait 2-3 days. So Petco online for the win. Not to mention the fact the fish skip going to the store water. One less stressful trip I’d say is better for them since it all contributes to sickness.

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to create a separate post for this as it would sound like I'm schilling for Petco, but they have a 50% off sale on livestock right now. Most of the good stuff is gone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back