Ordering Online From Petco?

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I was looking at Petco's website earlier this week. I noticed that they offer free shipping on live marine fish as well as a 7 day guarantee if they ship it to you. With these factors along with their prices being cheaper than most LFS, it seams as if it is a no brainer to order from them. Does anyone have an experiences with Petco shipping live fish? Would you order from them again? Why so/not?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you are located but the Petco in Fontana has a very nicely kept and stocked marine section. I have purchased several tank additions there.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not quite as you said. Free shipping is over 35$ and you have to pay extra for next day shipping, so let's say you buy fish for 36$, you still have to pay 30-35$ for next day shipping. Looks as if there is free next day shipping over some value, but it looks as it is something like $100+

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, most of the time I have seen that the prices in store are much cheaper than their on line prices.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you talk to the fish dept manager, you may be able to see their wholesale
availability lists. A few of the local petcos have allowed me to order what I wanted, with the option to not take it, if I didn’t like it.

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered three female lyretail anthias and 1 male from online, been alive for over a year… ships direct from supplier and never touches my local petco infested tanks…. Local stores might be cheaper but have to supply life support on all fishies during quarantine

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered three female lyretail anthias and 1 male from online, been alive for over a year… ships direct from supplier and never touches my local petco infested tanks…. Local stores might be cheaper but have to supply life support on all fishies during quarantine
Must be your petco. I’ve not lost a single fish from either of the petcos I have bought fish from unlike the lfs’s I have bought from!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered online from them. As mentioned the truly free shipping didn’t apply til I think the order was $179 or so. With that said, the livestock is direct from the supplier and the one time I had to use the guarantee had no issues calling customer service.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered online from them. As mentioned the truly free shipping didn’t apply til I think the order was $179 or so. With that said, the livestock is direct from the supplier and the one time I had to use the guarantee had no issues calling customer service.
Okay, thank you! I saw that they had free shipping but I didn't add anything to the cart, and so I didn't realize that they made you pay for next day delivery. Thanks for the input!

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get their fish from quality marine- buying direct is a great option and very different than in store unless you have a magnet store with a fish head running aquatics.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get their fish from quality marine- buying direct is a great option and very different than in store unless you have a magnet store with a fish head running aquatics.
Thanks! That's good to know. The one time that I got saltwater fish from my local Petco, they both survived, so I'm thinking I'm lucky and have a good store.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I was looking at Petco's website earlier this week. I noticed that they offer free shipping on live marine fish as well as a 7 day guarantee if they ship it to you. With these factors along with their prices being cheaper than most LFS, it seams as if it is a no brainer to order from them. Does anyone have an experiences with Petco shipping live fish? Would you order from them again? Why so/not?
No I would never. But all the local petcos near me are AWFUL and the fish are always so sick

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from them and like everyone says, really petco is just the middleman and other than advertising the sales in their website has nothing to do with the order. It goes right from the distributor to the customer. Both things I ordered came in healthy and are still alive about a month or so later. Although I don’t think I can ever order a package shipped through any service that says THIS SIDE UP in huge letters and actually can expect it to be right side up by the time I get home…

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of ordering some inverts from Petco. Everyplace I've looked wants $50 minimum for shipping. Petco is pretty cheap in that regard.

bythepowerofzeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Keep in mind that the fish ordered on petco’s website don’t come from Petco, they come straight from the vendor and the sizes vary dramatically so you might get some super tiny or one that is on the large side.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish sold at petco all come from the same wholesales (usually quality marine).

Ordering to your door is pretty much the same as ordering anywhere else, if its cheaper go for it. Petco's reputation is what they try to care for, not really how they arrive, animals that sit in the store under the care of inexperienced keepers are whats good to avoid unless you have a really nice petco.

ta88brian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish sold at petco all come from the same wholesales (usually quality marine).

Ordering to your door is pretty much the same as ordering anywhere else, if its cheaper go for it. Petco's reputation is what they try to care for, not really how they arrive, animals that sit in the store under the care of inexperienced keepers are whats good to avoid unless you have a really nice petco.
Live aquaria Petco same company. Same fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back