Our shallow zoa and paly dominated tank!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you started a build thread here! The zoa tank is looking great and that skimmer is IMPRESSIVE!

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you started a build thread here! The zoa tank is looking great and that skimmer is IMPRESSIVE!

Hey guys! Yea the other forums I was on were fairly inactive so I figured I would start posting here, after looking every now and then I could see actual conversations were being had here. : ) Thanks for checking out the thread, I see your tank is booming and growing just fine! I am extremely happy with the skimmer I modded! Here are some pics of how well it skimmed compared to the reef octopus I had on the system rated around 300 gallons.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the amount of skim the reef octopus pulled out in 3 days time...
uploadfromtaptalk1403088483470.jpg

Here is the life reef skimz combo after three days of skimming pretty dry, then a pic of its poured into the reef octopuses cup for better comparison.
uploadfromtaptalk1403088605396.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403088623895.jpg

This is the reef octopus I had on the system before.
uploadfromtaptalk1403088814870.jpg

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, badfish, rev, and Josh! And thank you Josh for suggesting that I post this thread. I enjoy sharing the tank with people that appreciate it!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! No comparison between the two skimmers.:bigsmile:

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks skinz, we love clams but can only afford to grab them on trades and such.

Unknown, that is a great compliment, thank you!

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I am removing the sandbed . Its just become a nuisance and detritus trap. Hopefully it doesn't take me all day but I think it's for the better. We also need to find a fish thst eats bubble algae because thats the other problem I am tired of fighting. I really like rabbit fish for this but I am not sure if I want to risk it . Maybe a very small baby will be a good idea, we have had better luck with risky fish not eating corals buying them as babies.
To remove the sandbed I am going to take out everything, fish and all. I also want to upgrade my closed loop pump to something around 2500gph instead of 1250gph. Hopefully we can save up for that soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, not selling it, ever!
Today I also hooked up a small pump to run water once a day into the mazzie injector in order to keep salt creep out of it. This will keep its performance more constant. I used to have trouble with my last one when I didn't know this had to be done. I also want to save for a swabbie so I never really have to clean it. I have to clean it every 2 or 3 days right now.

Sandbed is gone now and I think this will make the tank much easier to maintain.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of how the tank looks with no sand. Taken today after a waterchange. I do not like it but the corals are much happier for sure. I will toss in a few pics from the other two tanks attached to this system also.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's a elegance coral, one of our favorite lps. The invert section of the dc zoo used to have a huge elegance coral in their front reef display, Which was maybe 3 feet wide and shaped like a round big beach ball. Too bad it's closing, or closed down now.

Thanks Josh, yea I just noticed that now that you mention it. Most of our polyps are pretty large for sure, which makes keeping stuff like micro zoas really tough.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back