Overflowed my tank 3:35 AM

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some people do not like loud ATO pumps but I do, by ATO pump got really loud last night, Tunze, so I know the ATO container was empty, so we turned if off, and not 3 minutes later we heard another sound, turn on the lights and the tank is overflowing from the top, YEAH.
So we cleaned it up shut off the return pump went back to sleep.
Conclusion: My sea anemone went down my only drain, this is the first time for that. This is a 25 gallon nano with a below sump.
Any thoughts on how to prevent this again?

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any sump you must have an emergency drain. Whether it's a bean animal style, or Herbie, the emergency overflow is the only thing that will stop your experience from happening again. I have an IM EXT tank, it's a Bean Animal type that actually has a main drain, a secondary then an emergency drain. Sorry for your situation, water on the floor is not fun.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get one of those leak detectors that people use for there water heaters, if water hits the floor it will sound an alarm in case you dont hear the event happening.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AutoAqua Smart Level Security (CLOSEOUT)
So I ordered one of these.
When it gets here I will play Russian Roulette and plug/clog my overflow and see how it responds, how my single nano Tunze ATO reacts. I am wondering what will happen with water rising in tank, ATO sensing that and adding DI water, high water triggers shutoff on the return pump, causing the water to go down into the sump and then does it keep repeating until it ultimately overflows again.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am3gross I have one of those Zicron Leak Alerts I am worried it will be as loud as my faulty smoke alarm that I was not smart enough to wear hearing protection to turn off due to a malfunction, hearing damage for 3 days.

UtahReefer I guess I am on the hunt for a AIO tank that is the same dimension as a IM Lagoon 25.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one of those leak detectors that people use for there water heaters, if water hits the floor it will sound an alarm in case you dont hear the event happening.

I will not own a tank without two of these now, one on each side.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some people do not like loud ATO pumps but I do, by ATO pump got really loud last night, Tunze, so I know the ATO container was empty, so we turned if off, and not 3 minutes later we heard another sound, turn on the lights and the tank is overflowing from the top, YEAH.
Conclusion: My sea anemone went down my only drain, this is the first time for that. This is a 25 gallon nano with a below sump.
Put a timer on it. One minute 3 times a day

deafasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful with an All in One. Make sure it has a way to drain into the filter compartment if the main drain is clogged, otherwise you will have the same issue. If you have to drain the tank anyway, maybe drill and install a second Xaqua INOUT?

Jeff

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful with an All in One. Make sure it has a way to drain into the filter compartment if the main drain is clogged, otherwise you will have the same issue. If you have to drain the tank anyway, maybe drill and install a second Xaqua INOUT?

Jeff

A lot of the AIOs I’ve looked at up close have an emergency overflow, which basically just a dip in the back wall, like a hydro dam has.

Not an ideal situation but unless your pump is wildly over spec, they should not overflow.

deafasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the AIOs I’ve looked at up close have an emergency overflow, which basically just a dip in the back wall, like a hydro dam has.
Yes. The back wall is usually a little lower. Usually. I have seen older all in ones that were straight across that seemed like an accident waiting to happen.
Jeff

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not an ideal situation but unless your pump is wildly over spec, they should not overflow.
I cut one in my IM 25 lagoon as it was without. Bosch colt router and a straight bit. I printed a fence but one could set a fence with square dowel and clamps also.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
could drill another drain, or maybe a back up hang on overflow if you don't want to drill the tank, Though would have to make sure the hang on remained primed/didn't lose syphon.

Also, I mount my return pumps high in the sump so they run dry more quickly. Hopefully I never have to find out if this solution works. . .

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dosing pump for ATO that has a flow rate of 43ml. It is set to only run for 3 minutes and 45 seconds. If it goes that long it will stop and send an alert. there is also a minimum off time set for 15 minutes. So it can only dispense up to 161.25ml every 15 minutes. If it stops for running too long there are only two ways to restart it. One is the ATO sensor has to go wet before it will start again which means the sump is full or I would have to override the output to on then back to auto. My sump does not hold enough water to overfill the tank on it's own. I also have the stand designed to funnel any leak like that back down into the bottom of the stand which holds a couple of gallons of water before it would overflow but there is a leak detector that would shut off the return pump before that would happen.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the emergency overflow?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back