Paletta Method Miracle Mud

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used miracle mud for about 2 years and it was annoying as ever for most the reasons dennis touched on. I don't think it did anything for me and 50%replacement like suggested by the manufacturer for proper maintenance is no fun. The reason most folks have great tanks is because of great tank husbandry. This substance, if it is working is merely a small facet of the overall total care husbandry required. Julian and Mike are great water keepers with or without miracle mud. Julian can make any tank inspired, how much of that has to do with miracle mud I would wager very little but you could always ask him at the next meet - he's very open to query and conversation from anyone with passion in the hobby.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ monkiboy - I agree with you completely about Mike and Julian, both have exceptional husbandry. I listened in on a webinar given my Mark Callahan, and the question about MM was brought up as well. Quick synopsis is that it was difficult for others to manage and dial in as well. Carbon dosing, in one form or another, along with a good skimmer seemed to be just as effective. It makes me wonder, researching all this is whether a refugium is a worthwhile adventure at all. If it's for the beauty of it, I can see the point, but if it's for nutrient export, I have a hard time seeing it's strengths when compared to carbon dosing and strong skimming. The conclusion that I am slowly coming to accept is that, it is very multifactorial, a sum of many small parts and that the work you are willing to put into it will make or break your reef. This topic as I delve into it more deeply is causing more confusion.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to bag the idea of using Miracle Mud or Fiji Mud in my Refugium on my new build. I have not seen enough evidence that either of these two products would be beneficial to a reef tank. I do believe that refugium's are beneficial in some matters.

1) Housing Chaetomorpha Algae, Mangroves and the like for Phosphate/ Nitrate export.
2) A safe haven for Copepods and Amphipods
3) A place to run a sand bed for people running Bare Bottom Display Tanks.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 gallon tank with two refugia; in-sump and HOB. Fiji mud in both 'fuges. (Seemed like a good idea while I was outfitting the tank at Marine Depot) Tank got wet in November of '15. Corals are ... OK, except for most acropora. Algae grows well. 'Pods swarm.

Some of this, I'm sure, has to do with the tank being close to the end of a fallow run. We'll see how it goes with finned residents . . .

~Bruce

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After pondering how to manage nutrients effectively and convinced on bio pellets, Ive decided on MM - from my experience you can't beat nature .. I believe your tank should be fed and stocked in a way it can naturally remove the nutrients via rock, sand, and algae. This ensures I am not stripping access nutrients too fast and having other issues such as bleaching and stunt growth. Moreover, your tank can go long time without needing a water change and still maintain itself. Originally, I wanted amazing colors but now I am convinced that thick branched corals with great colors is the goal..Natures already done the work for us so I will use it to my advantage.. If I can maintain low nutrients with the paletta method you'll be the first to know...

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 220 on MM alone when I got into Reeefkng back in 2003. No skimmer or UV. Tank did well for me. I added a skimmer and a UV later on but not for lack of efficacy. I did have a large load in the aquarium. I am waiting on some acrylic work to be done to add it to my current system. I also run other types of filtration as I believe elbow grease goes a very long way on this hobby but the different types of filtration each add a element of benefit to your aquarium.

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it on my 120g because of fear at the time and still use it. I can't say that it helps and it doesn't hurt so likely unnecessary.
Nothing beats tank husbandry and controlling water parameters.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back