PAR vs Surface agitation

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't much i could find on this subject... but I am interested to see what others think about this. How much does water agitation affect PAR values? The reason I bring this up is because my birdnest coral seems to be lacking color only in areas where the agitation is strong. (its hard to tell in photos) Also the acro under the agitation is also a bit dull. Could this be because PAR values are less caused by the movement of water.

Digitatas and other corals that are not directly under the return seem to be in great shape.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 1.32.43 PM.png
IMG_8724.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effects are both dynamic (that is, go both up and down rapidly ) and on average likely give an overall time-averaged decrease for objects directly below the light.

5.3.1.1 Wave Focusing and Defocussing​

Surface waves are the cause of light field perturbations in the upper sea layer. Specifically, focusing and defocusing of sunlight refracted by surface waves produce large light fluctuations whose amplitude, frequency, and depth extension have been addressed both theoretically [92,135–139] and experimentally [140–143].

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back