OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on VarioS 6S pump. CoralVue was very quick to respond to my ticket. They recommend an over night soak in a 1:1 ratio of water and vinegar. Due to the purchase date, they reminded me it was out of warranty- which makes me a little nervous. Lol. Let’s see what happens.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, soaking the pump overnight in a 1:1 water to vinegar solution did nothing to get the pump working. Carlos at CoralVue and I noticed there was a small wobble when spun to the plastic plate just aft of the pin wheel. I wonder if it’s enough to create some friction between the impeller and the housing in which the impeller spins in. Here’s a video of what I’m talking about

On the aquarium front- parameter are holding steady with Alkalinity at 8.4. Added 45ml of BRS Soda Ash concoction to bring it up into the 8.7. I’ve only got about a days worth of data but as of now it appears as the consumption rate is .3 dkh / day. I’ll stay the course for another few days before automating this portion of it.

Calcium dropped to 401 which is only a 1ppm difference so I’m going to say it remained the same. I’m working on bringing this up to 430 over the next two days.

Nitrate and PO4 stay unchanged at 15 and .17.

I’m going away for work this weekend so it’ll be a much needed break from the tank. Weird saying that but I’ve been armpit deep in it the last week catching up with the clean up.

I’d also like to copy @Brew12 FTS updates and post the same here. Thinking twice about every two weeks or so to track the progression.... or regression!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received new impeller from CoralVue and no new result. The controller does show a Float Switch light on that I can’t seem to turn off. I wonder if that’s something that’s causing a problem. Waiting on response from CoralVue

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard back from CoralVue and not to thrilled about the news. The pump is finished and needs replacing. I had plans for that $400 involving some fins and polyps!

I have to say, although I’m incredibly happy with my skimmer and CoralVues response time along with general troubleshooting, I’m not happy about their shipping and return policy when it comes to situations like these. To make a long story short, CoralVue will refund me for the price of the new impeller but not the shipping charges it cost to get it to my home as part of a troubleshooting chain. Not even a credit. You may have your own opinions about this but I don’t see how that’s acceptable. I understand these policies and why they’d apply them to regular purchases- but trouble shooting? Anyhow, overall, great customer service, but the inability to bend the policy in a troubleshooting scenario and $12 left a salty tasty in my mouth (no pun intended)

I take back everything I said here. I may have typed this somewhat too soon. The Rep with CoralVue went way further then above and beyond- offered the credit and then some. Truly excellent customer service. Really nice job @CoralVue I’ll be throwing more of my money your way soon!

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Desjardinii is GORGEOUS!!!!

That is a nice Scape bro. I remember a looongg time ago we were trying to figure out how to do that overhang. Dude- you nailed it!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Desjardinii is GORGEOUS!!!!

That is a nice Scape bro. I remember a looongg time ago we were trying to figure out how to do that overhang. Dude- you nailed it!

Thanks, Neil! He didn’t always look so hot. Not sure if you remember but s/he had two large bites in fins from a LARGE tang he was housed with at the store. Probably the fish with the most personality.

And thanks man! In hindsight, I wish I listened to @VictoriaM and moved it slightly to the right and extended the over hang another 3”-5”

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at that tank! it is beautiful!
Man those are some seriously beautiful fish pictures. I am so impressed.

Why thank you! I’m using a canon dslr. Nothing fancy, it’s actually the smallest dslr in the market and it does a great job. I believe it was the SL3... or 2. Don’t recall. I picked it up because I was flying for a company called Atlas Air at the time and was all over the world for 17 days at a time. So packing became a thing and this camera didn’t take up any space!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on parameters.

Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity is 8.74 and seems to swing at .3 per day. Dosing 38ml of BRS two part to maintain and close to setting this on a doser
CA274EBE-E274-40C8-AD0C-134A22D2CF79.png

Calcium tested at 351 today which I’m a little confused because it was 402 on Friday and then 401 on Sunday without any dosing. I checked today and it tested at 351. I suppose it could an outlier so I will test again shortly.

Phosphates are down from .17 to .14.
Nitrate is down to 10

I think these two are coming down because I finally turned the lights on the chaeto and have been swapping filter socks every 3 days.

Water changes are down from 4.5 gallons to 3 gallons per day as this creates a nice balance of how much work I ask the boss lady to do when I start traveling to FL for two weeks. Basically frees her up from makin saltwater on days I’m away.

That’s all for now.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Neil! He didn’t always look so hot. Not sure if you remember but s/he had two large bites in fins from a LARGE tang he was housed with at the store. Probably the fish with the most personality.

And thanks man! In hindsight, I wish I listened to @VictoriaM and moved it slightly to the right and extended the over hang another 3”-5”
Nah, it looks perfect the way it is.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, it looks perfect the way it is.
I’m kinda jelly of his overhang.

I opted for a shelf platform on top of a Pukani base rock . I wasn’t confident I’d have enough mass in the base to provide counterweight for the plate, do didn’t do the cantilever. Wish I’d kept trying it. I got s little 2.5-3” overhang going on but when I bought the rock, I’d wanted it to essentially float in free space out the side of a pillar. The thing is 22” long...

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on parameters.

Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity is 8.74 and seems to swing at .3 per day. Dosing 38ml of BRS two part to maintain and close to setting this on a doser
CA274EBE-E274-40C8-AD0C-134A22D2CF79.png

Calcium tested at 351 today which I’m a little confused because it was 402 on Friday and then 401 on Sunday without any dosing. I checked today and it tested at 351. I suppose it could an outlier so I will test again shortly.

Phosphates are down from .17 to .14.
Nitrate is down to 10

I think these two are coming down because I finally turned the lights on the chaeto and have been swapping filter socks every 3 days.

Water changes are down from 4.5 gallons to 3 gallons per day as this creates a nice balance of how much work I ask the boss lady to do when I start traveling to FL for two weeks. Basically frees her up from makin saltwater on days I’m away.

That’s all for now.
Nice update. Always good to see numbers with the pics. Looks great.

Where are you aiming for with NO3 and PO4? I’m dosing 5/0.15 until I get rid of the Chrysophytes. I’ll need to dose in order to keep my planted macros happy - I literally can’t feed enough and avoid poisoning thevtank- but I think if I have steady state levels there it might work out ok.

Staying FAR FAR away from 0/0 moving forward

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update. Always good to see numbers with the pics. Looks great.

Where are you aiming for with NO3 and PO4? I’m dosing 5/0.15 until I get rid of the Chrysophytes. I’ll need to dose in order to keep my planted macros happy - I literally can’t feed enough and avoid poisoning thevtank- but I think if I have steady state levels there it might work out ok.

Staying FAR FAR away from 0/0 moving forward
I’m going to try for 10 and .06 to .1.

I think I have a much heavier bio load then you which I’d assume is only helping to keep my levels elevated.

My skimmer pump comes in today. Exciting stuff!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement skimmer pump is here and we are back in business. Confirmed it was the pump it self and in turn have me a back up controller and lower supply. It’s skimmer rather wet right now even though I let the pump run in some water:vinegar solution to try and wash off some of the dust/oils/dirt but still had to back off the pump speed.

Performed an accidental overdose. It seems I have a hard time with consistency using the Hanna calcium checker. Tested last night in the 370, so I dosed enough to bring the levels up to 400... tested this afternoon- 550. ****!

Don’t think it’s a big deal. Did two tests to confirm and figured I’ll just let the water changes bring the levels back down.

Other parameters are:
SG: 1.026
Alk: 8.8
Calcium: 551 (oops)
Mag: 1305
Nitrate: 10
PO4: 0.14

Now, onto more pressing issue. How many tangs is too many in a 240 gallon (8’x2’x2’). Would you advise against 2 purples (currently established) a trio of yellows and a scopas tang? I understand the potential for aggression and am ready to combat this including rehoming if necessary. I just want to make sure my system can support them

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back