Photo-Chop: What You See Is Not What You Get

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating discussion. LEDs created a revolution in lighting and have tremendously effected coral photography. Of course photoshop programs, iPhone and availability of reasonably priced digital SLRs have played an important role as well in enhanced photographs. Most of us are interested in accurate representations of color for many reasons. Certainly, purchase decisions online are made primarily by color. But there is another issue as well that is important to me, husbandry. How much color can one develop in their coral. So comparing what one sees in photographs, helps assess how well one is doing in their tank. Some hobbyists dream of a little color to their brown coral and others look for bright colors overall . So it's nice to have a yardstick to measure how our colony measures up against an online photo to see how well we might be doing or appreciate the potential.

If I don't have a black light ( blue LEDs ) then it's harder to compare. Certainly, differences in lighting of any type leads to different appearing colors of coral. Now add over color correction or overly photoshopped, and those same lineaged or daughtered colonies will never look alike (in photos at least).

Last edited:

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i ever have to edit it's usually to represent the actual color because all i have to capture is an iphone. I prefer a good rep over a short term gain, So if the photo is a little dull im fine to use it for a sale, I ask what is fair to me and am not gonna cry if it doesnt sell. I would much rather have a person be amazed by the actual coral than to be feel they have been deceived by me. I am in the business of losing money not giving it away, i told a guy begging for change once LOL.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest and only reason I no longer order corals from anyone on-line. Sadly this has limited my options. As far as I'm concerned everyone who sell's corals via the web chops their pic's in some way.
Another issues for me is, the lighting the pic's are taken under. I like many still use T5's. I know how different corals look under these versus LED's. Impossible to tell what the coral will actually look like :(

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest and only reason I no longer order corals from anyone on-line. Sadly this has limited my options. As far as I'm concerned everyone who sell's corals via the web chops their pic's in some way.
Another issues for me is, the lighting the pic's are taken under. I like many still use T5's. I know how different corals look under these versus LED's. Impossible to tell what the coral will actually look like :(
You shouldn't limit yourself like that as there are some amazing sellers on this forum who really are honest and generous.
Example- I purchased a SC atom bomb frag for an excellent steal of a price and got some awesome freebies. there are some people who are just too generous here, and i'm happy to buy from them. Of course there are others who aren't so honest and it's always obvious by the photos, If it looks too good ask for a daylight pic with no actinics.
This is a pic of my atom bomb frag taken with my iphone thru a magnifying glass lens to enlarge it, no editing other then cropping on my phone, taken under a radium 400 watt 20k bulb. I see you in the UP? what a wonderful world up there man, kitchikippie :) my dad has a house in gould city
20140209223424-e6854104.jpg

Last edited:

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It bugs me when people think editing is a bad thing. I can tell you not one picture I will ever take has gone without editing. Shoot in RAW, edit in photoshop. Photoshop is a tool that can be used for good or evil. ;)

I see you in the UP? what a wonderful world up there man, kitchikippie :) my dad has a house in gould city

It is nice place up there isn't it. I've stayed at WhiteCap ski resort a few times in the summer.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is beautiful U.P. here. I'm in Marquette. Very limited on coral selections-lol.
I have ordered from on-line in the past. From very reputable sellers. Still if it's not a chop issue it is a lighting issue.
Example: I bought a Rainbow Acanenchinata. Beautiful orange, purple, green and yellow. The pic was taken under MH. I run T5. Within 2 weeks this beautiful coral turned into an ugly duckling :( I wasn't informed under what lighting it was being kept. Should I have known? Should I have asked? Then I didn't, I do now.
Now most seller's run LED's so I know nothing will look the same under my T5's. So what do I do? I haven't bought a new coral in almost 2yrs. Just because they never look as good under my lights as they do in the pic :) Wonder if the seller takes this into consideration?

Last edited:

rhino56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i can ever get you anything let me know, i'm a hobbiest and am always happy to help my fellow reefers, not looking to make a living or profit from selling corals. I have led/MH and t-5 setups, all look beautiful to me. I have several great connections with other hobbiests and store owners here in AR and can get just about anything very reasonable. I know how barren it is up there with not just fish stores but with everything, you might be able to find minnows up there in a bait shop, that's about it haha. Even with t-5s there is a lot of variance in how something might look as there are so many different combonations of bulbs. maybe you should add some of those LED actinic stunner strips, they really add a brilliance to a tank. Watch out for bears up there :peep::behindsofa:

It is beautiful U.P. here. I'm in Marquette. Very limited on coral selections-lol.
I have ordered from on-line in the past. From very reputable sellers. Still if it's not a chop issue it is a lighting issue.
Example: I bought a Rainbow Acanenchinata. Beautiful orange, purple, green and yellow. The pic was taken under MH. I run T5. Within 2 weeks this beautiful coral turned into an ugly duckling :( I wasn't informed under what lighting it was being kept. Should I have known? Should I have asked? Then I didn't, I do now.
Now most seller's run LED's so I know nothing will look the same under my T5's. So what do I do? I haven't bought a new coral in almost 2yrs. Just because they never look as good under my lights as they do in the pic :) Wonder if the seller takes this into consideration?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back