Photone readings at water level needed for SPS

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. Before this becomes a flame thread on multiple variables and whatnot I’m just looking for some readings at water level for sps under LEDs.

I have a Noo-Psyche k7v3 able to blast ungodly amounts of light but I’m trying to dial in a nice healthy amount for my 20g. Currently I had readings of 380ppfd under white LED readings and 480ppfd under the blue LED reading on Photone. Everything is doing ‘Okay’ but I’m watching some color fade which means I’m not completely optimized on this light.

In the past I was in a larger city with a strong reefing group. However I now live in a smaller town and borrowing equipment like an apogee is just near impossible. So I’m just trying to get the right numbers. A store about an hour from me had radions turned up to 1300ppfd on blue channels at the water. That nano was four inches deeper overall but the corals were more than happy.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At water level u mean before it breaks the
Surface? And how did u get 380-480? If u have a meter chk it where the coral will h placed. 250-300 par at placement should b good start and let them settle. U can go up from there.

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At water level u mean before it breaks the
Surface? And how did u get 380-480? If u have a meter chk it where the coral will h placed. 250-300 par at placement should b good start and let them settle. U can go up from there.
I don’t have access to a good meter that is waterproof. Currently only thing available is an app that is supposedly calibrated for iPhones.

IMG_6394.jpeg

Current pic. Issue I am having is browning of sps corals. Maybe too much UV? PPFD seems high enough with montipora colonies growing near sandbed.

OP
OP
Genetics

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use on android, 2 noop mini, my reading is around 500 at surface

Is that on LED white or Blue when reading it? And how deep is your aquarium?

Can't really help with the app or surface par but running six k7v3 seven inches above the water I get 300 par on the bottom of a 24" deep tank using these settings
Screenshot_20231020_122839_Noo-Psyche.jpg

Screenshot_20231020_122803_Noo-Psyche.jpg

I’m guessing your tank is much larger at 24” deep. Any issues with UV being run that high?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing your tank is much larger at 24” deep. Any issues with UV being run that high?
Correct. The tank is a 180 - 72 x 24 x 24. As far as UV, nothing in the tank is complaining . Its the tank in my aquarium showcase. A mixed reef with some SPS, LPS, softies, nems and 2 clams, a derasa and a maxima. I don't want to jinx myself but the tank is 8 years old and has never looked better. I've been running the noopsyche lights for almost a year.

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that on LED white or Blue when reading it? And how deep is your aquarium?

White and blue, the minis only have white blue and violet LEDs, my tank is 50cm deep

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back