"Pico" tank - Craze?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never in a billion years would I have thought it was possible to have a saltwater setup in smaller aquariums - growing up doing freshwater, the dream of having a saltwater tank was an unachievable goal because at the time I was told and learned that one needed a HUGE aquarium to make it work. Fast track to the present, people are now having tanks smaller than 5 gallons and thriving! That's pretty amazing I think, and for those that want to get into the hobby, it might not necessary be the ideal size, but still it's a start and is possible. For someone like myself that has a few tanks, I might just start up a Pico too because I now have limited space.

Besides, my plan is to have the Pico as a quarantine tank - my last quarantine tank turned out to be another Display tank! - LOL :)

So I have a choice between a 5 Gallon or an 8 Gallon cube - of course the 8 gallon is larger, but that's not what I would want necessary, and don't know how much difference 3 gallons would make. Thoughts?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at ReefAPalooza this weekend and I took a long time looking at some pico tanks. I was looking at the Eshop Deskmate 5-gallon and the Eshop Deskmate 8-gallon drop-off. The 5 gallon is smaller that is for sure but I kind of like the size of the 5 gallon just because it can go anywhere. I think you would be fine with either size of them.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you quarantining corals or fish? For fish depending on size of main display, 5 or 8 maybe to small. If corals, 5 will be easier for maintenance and a full water change is one container or bucket rather than needing 2 minus any water displacement.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you quarantining corals or fish? For fish depending on size of main display, 5 or 8 maybe to small. If corals, 5 will be easier for maintenance and a full water change is one container or bucket rather than needing 2 minus any water displacement.
This would be strictly for corals only - definitely too small for any fish..unless it's for a small fish then might be okay for a 3 month period.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some small fish that would be fine. But for corals, 5 would be perfect.
I just realized your account handle - what size PIco tank do you have? I just spoke to LFS - they ran out of the 8 gallon and only have the 5 gallon. I might just get the 5 then...the 8 might be too large. That's kinda weird saying that since we mostly want larger tanks possible.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized your account handle - what size PIco tank do you have? I just spoke to LFS - they ran out of the 8 gallon and only have the 5 gallon. I might just get the 5 then...the 8 might be too large. That's kinda weird saying that since we mostly want larger tanks possible.
I have done everything from under a gallon to now 7 gallon. Had 90 and roughly 40 over decade ago.

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of pico/nano. Maybe because it was my first tank. As far as stability goes. I don't know what it actually looks like if I had a bigger tank. But from 1, 5, 12 and 15 gallon tanks I have. They all feel the same too me. Maintenance is a breeze and teardown/moving is easier.

I do really want a bigger tank 65+ or up. But idk since most of the fishes I like are nano sized. I might get hate but I don't care for tangs lol. So really do I need a bigger tank?

As far as a QT tank goes. I'd do 8 gallon depending on fish your are QT. Otherwise 5 gallon is the best.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of pico/nano. Maybe because it was my first tank. As far as stability goes. I don't know what it actually looks like if I had a bigger tank. But from 1, 5, 12 and 15 gallon tanks I have. They all feel the same too me. Maintenance is a breeze and teardown/moving is easier.

I do really want a bigger tank 65+ or up. But idk since most of the fishes I like are nano sized. I might get hate but I don't care for tangs lol. So really do I need a bigger tank?

As far as a QT tank goes. I'd do 8 gallon depending on fish your are QT. Otherwise 5 gallon is the best.
Smaller tanks cost more from the point of view of needing more salt just as well and larger water changes.

I'm curious why you suggested that a 5 gallon is better than the 8 gallon. I don't anticipate to be using it for any fish - more as a quarantine and as well to house some soft corals.

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller tanks cost more from the point of view of needing more salt just as well and larger water changes.

I'm curious why you suggested that a 5 gallon is better than the 8 gallon. I don't anticipate to be using it for any fish - more as a quarantine and as well to house some soft corals.
Forgot my 2G tank too lol.

Honestly I don't calculate that factor or maybe I didn't notice? Oddly enough the two tanks that require ATO's are my 12 and 15. My 5 barely evaporates to the point where I can manually top off.

But my 1-2G tanks literally don't evaporate at all. I've gone 2 weeks without topping off. salt stays at 1.025. I do have lids to keep it in check. And enough surface agitation to keep PH in check.

Comes down to space. Tank size is smaller and less water to deal with. I've just found 5 gallons as a perfect size for most needs. Or maybe I just like increments of 5 lol.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot my 2G tank too lol.

Honestly I don't calculate that factor or maybe I didn't notice? Oddly enough the two tanks that require ATO's are my 12 and 15. My 5 barely evaporates to the point where I can manually top off.

But my 1-2G tanks literally don't evaporate at all. I've gone 2 weeks without topping off. salt stays at 1.025. I do have lids to keep it in check. And enough surface agitation to keep PH in check.

Comes down to space. Tank size is smaller and less water to deal with. I've just found 5 gallons as a perfect size for most needs. Or maybe I just like increments of 5 lol.
Not that odd...my smallest tank at 9 gallons doesn't evaporate much at all versus the larger one. Strange.

Do you have pictures of all your Pico tanks to share? I might just get the 5 gallon size now. 8g doesn't sound too 'pico'

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero maintenance 1.1 Pico
No water changes or work since it’s been started. Cleaned glass maybe 3x tops

06AC56D3-4379-4046-B487-930225F75F9D.jpeg
442DB39B-F73B-4729-ADA3-965248180CA6.jpeg
389C2C24-56BC-4114-A423-AA6537BB7A12.jpeg
40BE5A52-2EA6-42A9-963A-E248C690DC0E.jpeg

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero maintenance 1.1 Pico
No water changes or work since it’s been started. Cleaned glass maybe 3x tops

06AC56D3-4379-4046-B487-930225F75F9D.jpeg
442DB39B-F73B-4729-ADA3-965248180CA6.jpeg
389C2C24-56BC-4114-A423-AA6537BB7A12.jpeg
40BE5A52-2EA6-42A9-963A-E248C690DC0E.jpeg
Smokearoos! Amazing looking pico!!! What particular aquarium brand is that? Well, that's inspiring and makes me want to try even a smaller size than a 5 gallon. How's keeping up with the water chemistry?

What do you plan with the torch when it gets larger?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smokearoos! Amazing looking pico!!! What particular aquarium brand is that? Well, that's inspiring and makes me want to try even a smaller size than a 5 gallon. How's keeping up with the water chemistry?

What do you plan with the torch when it gets larger?

Thank you!

The tank is an Oceanbox P1-G Pico

My build thread is here:

I don’t do anything to keep up with water chemistry, I don’t need water changes or any dosing or supplementation. The tight fitting lid is key to reduce evaporation along with the ato. The pico was carefully planned to not have any inhabitants that require manual feeding. I have a very small clean up crew, just enough to keep it maintained. I don’t even have to clean the acrylic. It’s a balanced ecosystem :)
It was put on my kitchen bar top Feb 7, had water, rock, sand and corals added Feb 7, I skipped cycling, and it’s basically been taking care of itself ever since. If any parameter ever goes out of whack I can easily make 1g of sw and do an instant 100% water change to correct.

The torch came out of a 15g nano that was overrun with algae due to neglect. I didn’t even know the torch was still alive. When I uncovered it, all the flesh band was receded. I moved it to my main display but the flow was too strong everywhere I tried. It really needed some special care for recovery. I put it in my pico and it’s doing great. When it gets too large it will be moved here:

0832EF9F-F3D4-4D1B-BCF6-14D9CC90A49D.jpeg

47634D5E-F3E5-497A-950C-D6E1D33D79E7.jpeg

reefsUP2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at ReefAPalooza this weekend and I took a long time looking at some pico tanks. I was looking at the Eshop Deskmate 5-gallon and the Eshop Deskmate 8-gallon drop-off. The 5 gallon is smaller that is for sure but I kind of like the size of the 5 gallon just because it can go anywhere. I think you would be fine with either size of them.
I had a 5 gallon desk mate it was great till I out grew it.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like big tanks, but small tanks are where my heart is. I like to setup tanks for a specific thing (anemone tank or mushroom tank or smooth skin acro tank or ... ), so having multiple small ones scratches that itch without making my wife too angry. :D

I currently have a 6g, 10g, 12g, 30g... and a 65g. They're AiO tanks, so after rocks and sand, they only actually hold 5g, 7g, 10g, 21g and 55g respectively. A few of them are teetering on the "pico" size.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the original question:
- 5 gal for a quarantine is fine, obviously for small / short corals. I would not quarantine a fish, specially if you have sand, rocks, racks, this all limits the swing area and may in long term cause atrophy.

Most important is that there will be height limitations and corals you can keep still with good performance.
I mean there is no way to keep sps and softs and LPS at peak performance at same time with same lights. There's no shade or "bottom" of the tank, it's virtually all level at same height. If you crank up the lights sps will thrive, the others will get burn - my real experience.
20240410_191747.jpg

Zero maintenance is very possible in the first 6-12month.
But once your corals reach a certain point, at least kalk and mg or WC will be needed.

Evaporation you can control with a lid, but keep an eye in the temperatures.
Acrylic tanks tend to hold more temperature inside and does not matter if you have AC on, temp will be high.
I prefer glass as they exchange more heat and this brings water temp down. Again my own experience, I gave up the lid in the 4gal and them you need an ATO.

I still prefer glass bowls or glass tanks for small sized stuff.
20240422_220612.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back