Please do a review/ article on the massive amount of red sea tank failures for the last five years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ZERO stake in this except to point out that bulletproof windows are glass...... You know the big bank teller windows that are like 4 inches thick? Glass. Laminated glass my friend.
Actually, the bulletproof "glass" is Lexan polycarbonate. See images below. Disclaimer, do not attempt at home. The FNG I asked to hold this piece quit the next day. Hard to find good help.
1LEX.jpg

2LEX.jpg

3LEX.jpg

4LEX.jpg

5LEX.jpg

6LEX.jpg

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, the bulletproof "glass" is Lexan polycarbonate. See images below. Disclaimer, do not attempt at home. The FNG I asked to hold this piece quit the next day. Hard to find good help.
1LEX.jpg

2LEX.jpg

3LEX.jpg

4LEX.jpg

5LEX.jpg

6LEX.jpg
Let me know when you want to try this again, I'll bring a fresh FNG of my own! Too bad steel core 7.62 is impossible to find now, I'd like to try with that round

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you want to try this again, I'll bring a fresh FNG of my own! Too bad steel core 7.62 is impossible to find now, I'd like to try with that round
That one will probably go through. This piece is only 1/2 inch. Level III body armor will/may stop one but the concussion alone will put you in a bad place.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1LEX.jpg

2LEX.jpg

3LEX.jpg

4LEX.jpg

5LEX.jpg

6LEX.jpg
I’ve actually built a real true bullet proof box to hold a cool mill in cash.. it was many years ago and I can’t get into my photo bucket account to pull pics up haha! Anywho yes it’s lexan but it has a piece of acrylic laminated inside of it.. the stuff I used was 1/2” lexan 1/4” acrylic and half inch lexan.. I took the scraps out and it stopped everything we threw at it! Only thing even close to going through was a .223 round. It stopped 308 like nothing and hand guns didn’t have a chance!

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually built a real true bullet proof box to hold a cool mill in cash.. it was many years ago and I can’t get into my photo bucket account to pull pics up haha! Anywho yes it’s lexan but it has a piece of acrylic laminated inside of it.. the stuff I used was 1/2” lexan 1/4” acrylic and half inch lexan.. I took the scraps out and it stopped everything we threw at it! Only thing even close to going through was a .223 round. It stopped 308 like nothing and hand guns didn’t have a chance!
Wow. I just take the millions and millions we make selling fish tanks and bury it in the back yard.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Playing with scrap a buddy & I discovered the 5.56 xm855 penetrated better than anything else. Of course 7.62/.308 with a similar projectile is now impossible to find

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing with scrap a buddy & I discovered the 5.56 xm855 penetrated better than anything else. Of course 7.62/.308 with a similar projectile is now impossible to find
Yeah it seemed the smaller the projectile the better it penetrated.. granted it had some powder behind it lol.. a 22 would ricochet off it haha.. 380 hand gun barely left a small indentation.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1LEX.jpg

2LEX.jpg

3LEX.jpg

4LEX.jpg

5LEX.jpg

6LEX.jpg
I appreciate everyone tellin me what is and isn't glass ! Lol.
However my bulletproof transparent surface is Glass. This was 2019, shop i worked for tried to cut the bank teller window down as we recived the wrong size. Didn't work so well so i got to take it home to experiment on. Essentially extra thick laminated glass. Layers and layers of GLASS and a plastic like binding layer.
Bank teller window - Bulletproof

20190323_160137.jpg

20190323_161438.jpg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general I agree. However, there needs to be context. There is certainly a pattern of failures with at least the prior generation of RS tanks. I am not sure if there is such a pattern with the latest. That said, given the entire context I would never purchase a tank from them. Too many other options without the questionable history or (IMHO) what appears to be a poorly handled situation.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general I agree. However, there needs to be context. There is certainly a pattern of failures with at least the prior generation of RS tanks. I am not sure if there is such a pattern with the latest. That said, given the entire context I would never purchase a tank from them. Too many other options without the questionable history or (IMHO) what appears to be a poorly handled situation.
I was writing basically the same thing...

100% agreed

Fishels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a different brand. Why support a company that knowing puts out inferior products??
I don’t really keep up with brands. What is a similar size setup that is about the 250 in a good brand? I have time as my current living doesn’t allow aquarium I want anyway

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t really keep up with brands. What is a similar size setup that is about the 250 in a good brand? I have time as my current living doesn’t allow aquarium I want anyway
I personally like American made brands. Planet mega matrix (tideline rimless is Chinese), CustomAquarium, Glasscages. IM & Cade are Chinese manufactured but have a higher customer satisfaction rate than the other Chinese stuff

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other suggestions are eshopps mariner or reef-savvy or crystal dynamics

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other suggestions are eshopps mariner or reef-savvy or crystal dynamics
Reef-savvy makes nice tanks, but good luck getting them to return a quote request. I would honestly go with glass cages.

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-savvy makes nice tanks, but good luck getting them to rest urn a quote request. I would honestly go with glass cages.

I once reached out to glass ages and didn't even get a reply. So I think there are pros and cons to each vendor.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back