Please do a review/ article on the massive amount of red sea tank failures for the last five years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really sure who you’re setting as the standard for taking care of issues outside of warranty. Even Apple will not touch phones that are outside of warranty. It seems they’ve been replacing tanks, even second hand, that are within the 5 year warranty.

So please name one company, not ran from a garage, that is taking care of customers for products outside of warranty. This thread is documenting issues, but for what purpose? To deter buyers from buying a used g1? If the g2 hadn’t come out yet, this would be a valuable thread to halt sales of g1, but that’s come and gone at this point.

And I like seeing what else pops up, don’t get me wrong, but I’m just confused about the real purpose outside of simply highlighting issues of g1s.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys would mind voting for my pumpkin I carved for the Halloween R2R contest that would be great. Mine was #14. Here’s the link and a photo

IMG_1101.jpeg

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even Apple...
A tank designed to stop functioning after the warranty period is literally the Apple model.

As for the purpose of this thread. It's probably worthwhile for all the reasons you listed also so potential customers can be aware of past problems and how they were handled. The one thing I find we are missing is information about the prevalence of RS tanks. All manufacturing processes produce defective things sometimes and as such you will always have some amount of failures, it's a little hard for me to judge if this is an abnormal amount because I don't know the relative prevalences. However, since a likely mechanism has been identified (no support for the front pane), it seems pretty cut and dry that the design of G1 was flawed fundamentally.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@buruskeee

Do you agree there's an unusually high number of breaks within this tight production group, above normal break rates that warrants warning to owners before they break

Meaning should red sea have to acknowledge it publicly and preemptively replace all verified currently sold g1 tanks?

If the answer is no, and you have a convincing argument as to why it's no then I'll agree the thread has no more utility

Threads are the only reporting outlet that collects self submitted break patterns on file without deleting them

Last edited:

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@buruskeee

Do you agree there's an unusually high number of breaks within this tight production group, above normal break rates that warrants warning to owners before they break

Meaning should red sea have to acknowledge it publicly and preemptively replace all verified currently sold g1 tanks?

If the answer is no, and you have a convincing argument as to why it's no then I'll agree the thread has no more utility

Threads are the only reporting outlet that collects self submitted break patterns on file without deleting them
And that’s fine if it’s just to track for no other reason but just to track - but from previous posts, I got the notion it was to be used to influence RS to do something (which the G2 basically addresses).

Although RS didn’t come out with a headline telling customers they had flawed designs (think Apple with the antenna issue or bending phones), they obviously acknowledged it by calling out all the improvements in the G2, as well as providing a structural retrofit for G1s.

I want to lean towards agreeing there’s a higher number of defects with the g1 than comparative tanks, but I also don’t really know that to be true as we are only guessing at the volume and number of cases to compare.

Someone discussed it earlier, the older RS (pre g1) seemed to be of higher quality, then came out with the g1 to improve margins with predicted higher volumes after gaining some market share, and then went back to attempting to build more robust with the G2 and S series because of the money they’ve spent replacing in warranty tanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the point of this thread? Awareness. Conversation. Remedies. A place to vent. Do threads need a single, stated purpose? I think the very existence of 8 pages of posts and ongoing conversation validates the existence if this thread. If one person is saved from a Red Sea tank emptying in their living room, I'd say it's worth it.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one person is saved from a Red Sea tank emptying in their living room, I'd say it's worth it.
So to educate potential G1 used buyers with the issues then is what you’re getting at - which is fine.

As I said before, I got the notion it was to try and convince RS to do something. I’m not condemning the thread - it was an honest question.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can anyone point out cases of failure in the red sea max -s 400,500 series and the new G2+ 300,350,425 series. Much appreciated.

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the rate of occurrence speaks for itself now. I’m telling this team, as a forum trend watcher 24x7 logged in for twenty two years, a pattern has emerged and it’s serious. This is a new, brand new fail among a mix of new and old fails.
My glass scratched very bad don’t know how, but im scared of Red Sea now and want to go for waterbox now, do you rlly think the quality of Red Sea is that much better then a waterbox ? I currently have a 35G2+. Love your opinion thank you

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t locate five waterbox breaks within a two year span for sure, we get five rs breaks a month so I’ll never trust them again for any iteration

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they fix the issue

do they look like a reasonable company to do business with during hard times, they’ll bail on you

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My glass scratched very bad don’t know how, but im scared of Red Sea now and want to go for waterbox now, do you rlly think the quality of Red Sea is that much better then a waterbox ? I currently have a 35G2+. Love your opinion thank you
Any glass that's low iron will scratch easily. It's the give and take with having crystal clear glass.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And that’s fine if it’s just to track for no other reason but just to track - but from previous posts, I got the notion it was to be used to influence RS to do something (which the G2 basically addresses).

Although RS didn’t come out with a headline telling customers they had flawed designs (think Apple with the antenna issue or bending phones), they obviously acknowledged it by calling out all the improvements in the G2, as well as providing a structural retrofit for G1s.

I want to lean towards agreeing there’s a higher number of defects with the g1 than comparative tanks, but I also don’t really know that to be true as we are only guessing at the volume and number of cases to compare.

Someone discussed it earlier, the older RS (pre g1) seemed to be of higher quality, then came out with the g1 to improve margins with predicted higher volumes after gaining some market share, and then went back to attempting to build more robust with the G2 and S series because of the money they’ve spent replacing in warranty tanks.
Unless you know the comparison between oher tanks and the one discussed, etc etc etc - it's so hard to make some kind of broad accusation. However lets post a potential aquarium store scenario:

Hi yes I want a tank. The store says 'we love redsea'. Not sure where the evidence is that suggests that a large number of REDSEA tanks are an issue - there is certainly no answer regarding percentages of failure vs other brands

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt compelled to share that today I was at my LFS and while I was there a reefer came
in with several buckets full of fish. Turns out his redsea spontaneously shattered. I can only imagine the heartbreak; some of the fish were 10+ years old and he lost all coral but luckily he saved a few of his tangs. Really the stuff of nightmares and my heart goes out to him.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders do the article pls

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders is never ever ever going to tell its readers of these breaks, they’re too busy plugging sales for red sea and getting comps from them.

their readers already know though, due to forum work. We logged twenty or so new breaks just this last few months in our collection threads. Silence is how reefbuilders maintains income from partners.

I have completely stopped clicking on their site or reading anything they have to say.
IMG_2577.jpeg

Just a couple months out of warranty.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres just hundreds of fails simultaneously- reefing hadn’t seen that before.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres just hundreds of fails simultaneously- reefing hadn’t seen that before.
I think it’s crazy Personally and got me scared to own a glass tank no matter what manufacturer made it… This is sad for all these people involved who have to deal with this.. I’d be devastated if my tank did that!! I can’t imagine ugh…

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a reefer 250 in 2020, the front seam failed after 2 years. It was replaced under warranty. The new tank they sent lasted about 2 years (failed about a week ago). Both tanks had the front seam failing almost at the same location.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back