Please Help! What to feed when snowed in??

Rafa3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm facing a crisis that is keeping me up at night!

For context, I have 2 Clownfish, 1 Royal Gramma, and 1 Cleaner shrimp in a 20L tank. No corals (long story)

The city I live in has faced a snow/ice storm that I don't ever remember happening here (Lived here for 22 years). And of course, I'm on my last cube of Mysis as soon as this happens. My car is lowered and getting out of my driveway is impossible with all the snow/ice. It's been a week and my fish have been without food for the better part of 4-5 days. I keep hoping everyday I'll be able to finesse my way to Petco, but everyday is the same; impossible. It won't be possible for another 3-4 days most likely. I feel like 10 days without food is more than they should go.

So my question is, is there anything I can feed them in the meantime? I've heard vegetables work? All I have are green beans and maybe mixed veggies in microwave bags. Will they eat bread? Chicken? Basil? Parsley? These are silly, but I'm serious. Is there anything common house-hold that I can feed my poor hungry fish? :(

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm facing a crisis that is keeping me up at night!

For context, I have 2 Clownfish, 1 Royal Gramma, and 1 Cleaner shrimp in a 20L tank. No corals (long story)

The city I live in has faced a snow/ice storm that I don't ever remember happening here (Lived here for 22 years). And of course, I'm on my last cube of Mysis as soon as this happens. My car is lowered and getting out of my driveway is impossible with all the snow/ice. It's been a week and my fish have been without food for the better part of 4-5 days. I keep hoping everyday I'll be able to finesse my way to Petco, but everyday is the same; impossible. It won't be possible for another 3-4 days most likely. I feel like 10 days without food is more than they should go.

So my question is, is there anything I can feed them in the meantime? I've heard vegetables work? All I have are green beans and maybe mixed veggies in microwave bags. Will they eat bread? Chicken? Basil? Parsley? These are silly, but I'm serious. Is there anything common house-hold that I can feed my poor hungry fish? :(
Not sure entirely but if you were to put greens in I would boil it if you can. And also maybe a hard boiled egg broken into little pieces could work. Lets also get some experts in here. #reefsquad

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have frozen shrimp you could blend that up and feed. As for the fish starving unless it a new tank I think they’ll be ok. I’m not sure about the royal gramma but the clowns should be be sustained for a while longer eating algae. 2 summers ago I went on a research trip and left my tank for 3 weeks at the aquaculture lab on campus. I bought a brand new thing of flake food for my 2 clowns and banded coral shrimp because I use frozen but it would be easier for them to use flasks. Anyway, I get back and find the tank completely covered in cyano and the unopened container of food, but to happy clown fish and the banded coral just hanging out. I lost all my corals to the cyano but the fish and banded were perfectly fine. Apparently the guy that was there when I dropped it off didn’t tell the other guy who was taking care of the rest of the lab and he didn’t go into the room that it was in, apparently....

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with @nereefpat. Find seafood at grocery store. Just make sure it’s raw and unprocessed. But honestly, fish can go quite awhile without a feeding. I know we hate to do that but if they have to go 2 days, they will be ok. Hopefully your tank has enough critters in there for them to hunt down. I don’t think clowns will touch vegetables to be honest. Perhaps they will but I’d rather just not feed in this case.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. since your problem is not that you can't find food, but you can't GET to the store to buy food.. how about this? Can you uber to your LFS? Taxi maybe?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use click list or any other grocery service and have them deliver some fresh/frozen shrimp or clams

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can feed baby bettas guppies and red cherry shrimp smashed up hard boiled egg yoke (Just the yoke). If you smash it through a sieve then add a little water to it. It should make a paste you can use a syringe to feed. I assume it would work for your fish and shrimp.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said he can’t leave his driveway.

Blanched vegetables are fine. Try for something softer then green beans if you have it. I would guess hard boiled egg yolk should be fine too.

I suppose this a time having dry would be handy.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said he can’t leave his driveway.

Blanched vegetables are fine. Try for something softer then green beans if you have it. I would guess hard boiled egg yolk should be fine too.

I suppose this a time having dry would be handy.

Was starting to wonder if I was the only other one besides the OP to realize he can't get to the store at all... lol

Maybe a buddy with a 4x4 who can take you (sorry, you are in the midwest, I meant, carry you) to the LFS?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might be in Texas
Quite likely. Wherever he is, he has a legitimate problem. He is homebound due to inability to get his vehicle on the road. He needs a realistic, viable solution to his problem.

My original ideas still stand. Uber, Taxi, friend with 4x4 would do the job..

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, romaine on a seaweed clip, kale, squash, zucchini, cucumber, even oranges are all fish-safe. I've researched this while trying to provide a balanced diet for a large goldfish tank.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll be that guy... why dont you feed your fish pellets ? Feeding frozen everyday is not necessary by any means especially for those fish . Do you have someone local.thats in hobby that can drop something off? Otherwise 1 shrimp would last you a couple days if you blended it and made your own cube . As soon as you can get out or go on any fish website and order yourself some pellets

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can go a few weeks without eating and they will start eating pods, your fine...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back