POLL: Do you have aiptasia in your reef tank?

Do you have aiptasia in your reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 414 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 375 45.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 36 4.4%

• Total voters

Adolfo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to have some from a new frag, peppermint shrimp was my solution
Display tank 125 gals
aquarium update 2.jpg

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons in my sump and refugium specifically. 0.0 in my DT because of my Copperband butterfly fish!!

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper name butterfly. Cleaned my 135 display tank in under a week. I try to grow aiptasia in my frag tank. I them take things infested from the frag tank into the display. The CBB seems to know immediately when my hand comes in with a plate, rack or coral that it has treats in it for him.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True peppermint shrimp is my go to and has kept my tanks rid of them . Every once in a while you might get one that doesn’t eat them but in my experience if to put them in a quarantine tank first with a rock that has aptasia on it and dont feed them anything else ,they always eat it then it’s like their taste buds kick in and then putting them in the main tank rings the dinner bell

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not pushing back in this...

So breaking it down...
bioload /surface area and export = control...

All systems are different... but your concept is interesting

For me I have 3 small clusters. They live there life .. and don't sting anything as of yet.

Mushrooms are just as bad.. Researching now how to move them... dont want to give them a lemon
Honestly I have no idea how the extra rock made any difference I have a large tank enough tank that I probably had 1000s of aiptasia in places I couldn't reach or see. The only thing I could think of is some sort of predator hitched a ride on the rock. Problem with that theory is how whatever it is hasn't starved to death. Could also possibly be a virus/species specific pathogen of some sort introduced from the ocean on the rock but that would be a stretch. Very lucky whatever the case as my LFS's are loaded with the buggers.

The trick with the mushrooms is blasting them with very high PAR until they bounce then come up with a crazy name for them that starts with ultra, you'll sell them for enough to buy your dream tank! Then you'll forget you ever had a problem with the boogers. (Jk)

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen a few in my tank 15 years ago thought they were cool so I watched them spit babys out the top of them a were the baby stuck is where it stayed before I knew it they were everywhere 100s of them I tried injecting them burning them with laser. Calk water injections no way could I keep up. They were in the overflows it was terrible. I bought 3 file fish. 1st day nothing 2 day nothing I was about to go insane. 3rd day it looked like a few were gone day 4 I could not find one not a one any where. They even went over the grate into the overflow and ate the one in there. They are ugly but boy do they clean up your tank from aptasia.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I would’ve voted no, but this morning I noticed the tiniest little aiptasia in the middle of some zoas, so I voted yes. Tomorrow I will vote no.
That is what happened to me . Got a live rock full of zoas and they parted in the middle like the red sea and there it was so I got out the coral glue yep he's still there but I don't see him.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had them at one point. Peppermint shrimp took care of it. They are not something to get all crazy worried about

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found 1 in my 55 a while back, Took out the rock it was on and scrubbed it clean, let it dry out for a few days and put it back in. Didn't see any more for a couple months. Last week I saw another fairly large one in my tank and did something stupid... Tried to grab it with forceps and yank it out.. BAD BAD move.. It broke apart like a car window.. I am sure I am in for a MAJOR outbreak now. I am however being proactive on this and have a trip planned tomorrow to pick up a few peppermint shrimps to hopefully combat the impending issue.
Berghia! I literally bought ONE to battle quite a few as experiment wiped them out completely. Been over a year since Consider it please!

NanoBoxes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Berghi Nudis and they work great but eventually pass away and the aiptasia appear again. Best course of action is just to keep up on them so they dont blow up numbers wise where its hard to get them under control. Aiptasia X or F Aiptasia are the best. Just make it a routine where on a certain date you go on the slaughter.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick with the mushrooms is blasting them with very high PAR until they bounce then come up with a crazy name for them that starts with ultra, you'll sell them for enough to buy your dream tank! Then you'll forget you ever had a problem with the boogers. (Jk)
^ Awesome.....lol

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have aiptasia? If so, how do you manage it? If you don’t have aiptasia, how did you prevent them?
Yes. They multiply like tribbles!
I’ve been battling them with Aiptasia X, but they keep spreading. I bought a couple peppermint shrimp, but one didn’t survive the transfer and - despite my Blood Red Fire Shrimp doing fine - I think my Yellow Watchman Goby may have killed the other one (Colonel Mustard, in the tank, with the pistol)
Though, I have no pistol shrimp, I do have a green bubble tip anemone. It split within a day of the peppermint shrimp disappearing, so it/they may have been the killer.
I don’t know what else to do, so the battle continues.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have them in two frag tanks, my sump, and my display. I uses pepps in one frag tank, berghia in all the others. Tossed out a few really badly infested rocks and went to war with ALK paste on some other rocks. I still see the stray one here and there, but, they seem to be staying in check and away from my corals. The last time I had them, it was about two years before they were completely eradicated by the berghias. Then, the berghias starve and that is when you are susceptible again.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very surprised no one is using f-aiptasia. Maybe not surprised, it is kind of expensive, a pain to stir, not easy to get in the needle w/o wasting a bunch, toward the end it gets too solid to even go in the needle.... ended up using popsicle stick spread it on like peanut butter.
hey, it works. I don't even have to cover the entire little slimy beast. I had the zoa part like the red sea experience as well :) kind of cool to watch.

I guess the biggest problem with this type of method is you have to be able to see them. Found two huge ones growing behind some rocks I happened to be moving around.
All gone now so I'll change my vote! hahaha, that one gave me a good laugh - thanks I needed that.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back