POLL: Do you have aiptasia in your reef tank?

Do you have aiptasia in your reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 413 50.1%
  • No

Votes: 375 45.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 36 4.4%

• Total voters

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Anyone that votes no either hasn't been in the hobby long enough or hasn't looked close enough. The right tank inhabitants will hide the problem until you look in overflows, plumbing, or sumps.
I was a FOWLR guy for years, nah never had ANY aptasia. This time around, it took 4+ years, and 3 tanks later finally saw one over the weekend. I smothered it with kalkwasser paste and glued over it. Lol. I almost removed the rock and promptly burned it with fire, but I like the zoa garden that's finally growing off the plug.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can guarantee that the majority of reef aquariums have aiptasia, whether you realize it or not. I have not seen it in months in my system, but by no means do I assume it is not there. Unless you are clinically careful, only introduce coral that has been fragged, removed from plug rock... you have it. If you have introduced any type of LPS coral, you likely have it, unless you were able to remove all of the parts of the coral that do not have live tissue growing on it. You likely still have them. If you have peppermint shrimp, file fish, aiptasia eating nudibranches and everything else that feeds on it, you probably still have them. Aiptasia can lay dormant in overflow, sump, rock crevices, for many years unnoticed. Once those critters are gone, back it comes.

The point here is not to be a downer. I think some of us focus way too much on preventing these and other pests from entering our systems, to the detriment of our enjoyment of the hobby. You can start your tank as a sterile system, with dry rock, sps frags cut high off the base and quarantined for months and still get it in your system. The bio diversity is half the enjoyment of keeping a reef tank. Placing our main focus on total pest prevention, can really ruin your enjoyment of the hobby, especially if you put all the work in... and still get one!!

Instead of worrying so much, maybe embrace these inevitable pests, trade coral freely with your reef friends, use it as an excuse to add a cool aiptasia predator or two, to your system.

Good thread below on the topic of fish that mitigate all kinds of reef related issues.

Let the tank do it's thing, enjoy more, trust your critters and stop trying to micro manage everything.

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220125_175130.jpg

This is a picture of me filling up my 30ml syringe out of the industrial size aptasia X bottle. So yes I have an aptasia problem, and still no solution.
I had a major infestation and a Klein butterfly ate them all within a week. Nipped poccis but left everything else alone.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With ORA and BIOTA breeding mottled filefish, the problem, IHMO, has become far easier to deal with.

I had a problem, added a mottled filefish, no more problem.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Anyone that votes no either hasn't been in the hobby long enough or hasn't looked close enough. The right tank inhabitants will hide the problem until you look in overflows, plumbing, or sumps.

Had one single one that hitchiked on a frag 5 years ago, but it was very small and I killed it as soon as I saw it (I also got rid of the frag for good measure). Been over my tank, overflow and sump many times keeping an eye out for the evil little prong shaped heads and haven't seen a single one since. I agree it's pretty much a given if you use regular live rock or buy Colonies, but if you use the likes of Dry Rock, Caribsea Life Rock and buy your corals as small frags where it's much easier to detect them early on then it is possible to keep it from speading in your tank.

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are clinically careful, only introduce coral that has been fragged, removed from plug rock... you have it. If you have introduced any type of LPS coral, you likely have it, unless you were able to remove all of the parts of the coral that do not have live tissue growing on it.
This is what I do. Granted I have a smaller AIO and more setup like a LPS frag grow out tank with disks, BB, racks, and seachem matrix in media basket (no rock in DT). I think it is possible to avoid pests and that has been one of my initial goals when starting in the hobby 1.5 years ago (do not bristleworms too).

I limit the vendors I buy from, buy from strong reputation vendors such as SBB & Cherry Coral, remove frag plugs, dip, and monitor.

When I go to the local fish stores and see Aiptasia on the snails I don't even risk it.

I think a QT tank would help alot too. When I upgrade next year I will use the smaller AIO to quarantine.

Maybe I'm being naive

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just when I thought I got rid of them I found 3 monster ones in my overflow. They will be dealt with today

PlumbTuckered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have aiptasia? If so, how do you manage it? If you don’t have aiptasia, how did you prevent them?

The presence of Aptasia in a tank is dumb luck. Or, un-luck.

It is a hitchhiker on live rock. Often you don't even notice it until is pops up in your tank.

I picked up a few frags from a LFS and found Aptasia in the a 4 year old tank several days later. Obviously, it was on one of the frags.

I like how it looks. I keep a close eye on it and trim out most but leave some.

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have aiptasia? If so, how do you manage it? If you don’t have aiptasia, how did you prevent them?
I’m going to try berghias and a file fish. It’s not that bad that I would need to do that but once the outbreak is over I’m keeping the file fish cuz they are cool

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With ORA and BIOTA breeding mottled filefish, the problem, IHMO, has become far easier to deal with.

I had a problem, added a mottled filefish, no more problem.
I wish I could go that route, but mine got a taste for cynarina and demolished it pretty quickly :( so now I have two peppermint shrimp and they seem to eat all the tiny ones.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back