Poll: Do you use Calcium Reactor or Dosing Pumps?

Which do you use?

• Calcium Reactor

Votes: 81 23.7%
  • Dosing Pump

Votes: 196 57.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 65 19.0%

• Total voters

Anthony35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA Reactor all the way, actually not expensive and very simple to setup. With the amount of SPS corals I have two part would be a nightmare not keep up with not to mention that anyone thats dosing would exceed the price of my unit and setup with you trying to keep up with the demand been there done that :).

Its a pay it now or pay it later but you will pay in the end LOL and over time you will pay more with dosing.

Last edited:

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using dosing pump FM for my 75g SPS dominate tank. Its great but suplements are expencive. Looking to switch to Ca reactor.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo cal and kalk reactor. I don't have a lot of evaporation, so ATO through the kalk reactor tends to balance out my ph. I have this setup on two tanks and they are thriving. I used to manually dose which was a pita lol.... Also, I'm using tropic eden media in the 6/18 which really seems to be working well. When paired with an apex controller, this setup runs itself. Got it dialed in and testing has shown extremely stable parameters.

-g

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1405955094.576816.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1405955121.301714.jpg

ETORRES477

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Kamoer 4 pump doser for my 150 build I set up in February. I went with a dosing unit because I hear it works better on a mid sized system. I might have gone with a Ca reactor if I did anything over 220 gallons. I think a lot of people who had bad experiences with Ca reactors didn't fully understand them, which is why you hear some stories about people not doing well with them. I think if you have a big system and a lot of SPS a reactor would edge out a dosing unit by a hair.

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched about a 2 months ago to a Geo Cal Reactor,Was using 2 brs dosing pumps @ a rate of 180mls a day of each,Got tired of mixxing solutions weekly so I gave the reactor a shot,Pain in the --- to get dialed in but hopefully I got it and I can tell ya my sps haven't looked this good in a while,I am using a Avast Marine Kalk stirrer @ night thru the ato to keep ph stable. Other then that Haven't had to do much of anything but test Alk when i first got it now im once a week testing or i can tell by the apex CO2 chart if the effluent has change and i need to check. So bye to the dosers :rapture:

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo cal and kalk reactor.

I run a Reef Octopus calcium reactor and a Geo kalk reactor. They're both hooked up to my Apex. Like gcrawford, the kalk keeps my pH balanced as well. I run the kalk 24/7 and the calcium reactor only during lights on to minimize the low pH entering the system during the night.

I set up the calcium reactor years ago and rarely touch it. Both are dosed with peristaltic pumps.

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Reef Octopus calcium reactor and a Geo kalk reactor. They're both hooked up to my Apex. Like gcrawford, the kalk keeps my pH balanced as well. I run the kalk 24/7 and the calcium reactor only during lights on to minimize the low pH entering the system during the night.

I set up the calcium reactor years ago and rarely touch it. Both are dosed with peristaltic pumps.

what kind of peristaltic pumps. and where do you find them

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of peristaltic pumps. and where do you find them

I have three Mec-O-Matic Dolphin pumps and another Mec-O-Matic peristaltic that doses continuously - I don't recall the model name. I have one as a backup. The Dolphins run at full speed for a specified amount of time which don't work for the Calcium Reactor.

I love these pumps; I buy them from ebay; they always seem to be salvaged from somewhere; I'm assuming they're used in spas.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dosing pump..
But if I had a larger tank it would be calcium reactor and probably a kalk stirrer..

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 120g, had a Bubble Magus Auto Doser for several years. The board crapped out, and now using a Vertex Libra. Alk, CA, and Mag dosed automatically about 12 times daily which adds up to about 150 mL for Alk, CA, and a little less for Mag. Premix in BRS in one gallon jugs. Using 1 Liter containers, and fill up a little less than twice a month. Very easy. This was before tank crash with SPS. Now starting over and dosing about 20-30 mL with small frags.

Last edited:

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use dosing pumps. If I had a tank over say 50 gallons or an SPS dominant tank, I'd probably use a calcium reactor. Just depends on what is more cost efficient over the long run.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dosing pump. My main purpose for using them is stability. In the holding containers I only keep enough 2 part to last 2 days. If a pump were to go bad and was to stick on it would only raise my levels but there is not enough solution to destroy my system. I would notice if a pump was not turning on due to the small amount of solution kept in the containers. This is my way of safe proofing dosing pumps.

That's a great idea especially if you leave for a few days.

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser in the ATO
65 mixed reef sps lps and softies. So far the kalk is still keeping the dkh and ca where the tanks needs them to be.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back