OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting ready for it again. heavy heavy wet snow at 8" already, another 24 hours to go. 2/3 of the town already out and lights flickering. since the one 2 weeks ago, I bought Kedsom battery air stones that come on as the power goes out. UPS runs pumps for a couple hours but will run the generator as usual for heaters etc.... Still have 15 gallons of gas left from the last outage. 30 gallons of RO and 10 gallons of already mixed. Was going to do the scheduled water change yesterday but figured today would give me something to do "when" not if the power goes out. Just dump the spent salt water on the driveway?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting ready for it again. heavy heavy wet snow at 8" already, another 24 hours to go. 2/3 of the town already out and lights flickering. since the one 2 weeks ago, I bought Kedsom battery air stones that come on as the power goes out. UPS runs pumps for a couple hours but will run the generator as usual for heaters etc.... Still have 15 gallons of gas left from the last outage. 30 gallons of RO and 10 gallons of already mixed. Was going to do the scheduled water change yesterday but figured today would give me something to do "when" not if the power goes out. Just dump the spent salt water on the driveway?
Good luck!!!

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!!!
yeah, I know it's coming and can survive just fine. I just hate running a generator through the night. And then when needing gas having to drive 30 minutes one way to the first working gas station. But after this I figure it should take down all the week trees and be good for the next 5 years till the stuff grows back. But next year going with getting a whole house standby. Which by the way, even though lots have them, I had to turn the breakers back on at the neighbors because 3 of them tripped. Doesn't make me feel confident. but still better than not being around for it.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The storm you were talking about before, I lost power for three days when that one went through. I am getting the same snow as you, so I wish you the best, and stay safe!
the one thing that is an issue is the APC UPS does not charge from the generator since I would need an inverter. SO I have to pull the pump plug and plug into the standard outlet. So I need to make sure the standby unit has one.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one thing that is an issue is the APC UPS does not charge from the generator since I would need an inverter. SO I have to pull the pump plug and plug into the standard outlet. So I need to make sure the standby unit has one.

You probably need a grounded bonded neutral plug:

Plug

I have one for my generator incase i need to charge my Tesla off it in some fluke of emergency.
But this is probably why its not charging.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably need a grounded bonded neutral plug:

Plug

I have one for my generator incase i need to charge my Tesla off it in some fluke of emergency.
But this is probably why its not charging.
I have a generator hookup for 30 amp 4 prong twist lock. I just turn the breakers on that I wish and use a 8kw generator. though it will only do 7500..The UPS is already grounded. It's the sensitivity thing for the sine wave that the generator doesn't have. I think I'm one of the lucky few. still have power while more than 1/2 the county is out.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, then your UPS is probably really super picky.
Well wishing the best of luck to you during the outage...
At least your somewhat prepared this time... which is a very good thing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key is to have a plan ..... if you need gasoline for the plan, don't wait until the power is already out.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key is to have a plan ..... if you need gasoline for the plan, don't wait until the power is already out.

I think the OP will have a problem with that..
If im not mistaken, because of the bridge accident, they limit the amount of gas you can purchase at one visit in the northen east?

Or the news was stating something like that.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a portable livewell pump and run it with a 12v car battery. Air stones suck. Just search Amazon for portable livewell pump and get the one with the flexible hose and spray bar. They are awesome.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP will have a problem with that..
If im not mistaken, because of the bridge accident, they limit the amount of gas you can purchase at one visit in the northen east?

Or the news was stating something like that.
The DC bridge? No, issue is when there’s a big power outage, none of the gas pumps work. The whole grid goes down. I have gas 15 gallons, and then the 25 in the car if needed.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a portable livewell pump and run it with a 12v car battery. Air stones suck. Just search Amazon for portable livewell pump and get the one with the flexible hose and spray bar. They are awesome.
When I’m home I can run things. I need to set stuff up for when I’m not here. That’s why I got the air stones. And use UPS. At least I can take care of short durations. Standby generator won’t be till next year. That’s a big chunk of cash I need to plan for.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’m home I can run things. I need to set stuff up for when I’m not here. That’s why I got the air stones. And use UPS. At least I can take care of short durations. Standby generator won’t be till next year. That’s a big chunk of cash I need to plan for.
Ahh I got you. Those ups don't last too long. At some point invest in a DC powerhead like a AI Nero and buy the ice cap battery back up. It will last a lot longer.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we were one of the few that never lost power this time. guess I was too prepared.
We had multiple outages in my area of Vermont two nights ago. We had a short outage in the evening. I went to bed by 10 pm. I woke up to a quiet house at 1:30 am, shuffled around to find the flashlight and bathroom....power came on. My wife said it was out at 10:30 when she went to bed.

This has been the third outage I've had in the last two winters, usually I get one every five years and they are brief.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC bridge? No, issue is when there’s a big power outage, none of the gas pumps work. The whole grid goes down. I have gas 15 gallons, and then the 25 in the car if needed.
In the days before I had the whole house standby generator, I would always make sure that I had 15 gallons of gas on hand in containers plus both cars full ahead of any big storm. Once the storm passed, I would put the container gas into the cars.

Where I live, it is not unusual to have multiple day outages (on average, one every 3-4 years). Gotta have a plan as the tank won't survive them.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the days before I had the whole house standby generator, I would always make sure that I had 15 gallons of gas on hand in containers plus both cars full ahead of any big storm. Once the storm passed, I would put the container gas into the cars.

Where I live, it is not unusual to have multiple day outages (on average, one every 3-4 years). Gotta have a plan as the tank won't survive them.
were you there for Gloria? that was a week in CT.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice and snow not a problem here, but hurricane season is. Did not have a salt water tank set up last time power went out for any major length of time. but I used the air stones from Walmart for minnow buckets. The small ones can run 12 hours on 2 AA batteries. larger ones take C batteries I think.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back