protein skimmer counterproductive for a maturing reef tank?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that I'm learning more about reefing and how a skimmer works, I'm wondering how do tanks actually go more mature and survive without a skimmer.? I mean, my skimmer is taking out all this yellow gunk from my tank on a daily basis. If didn't have that skimmer like a lot of people don't have skimmers then what happens to all that yellow gunk? would not having a protein skimmer just make me more of a slave to water changes? Even then, if I took out a 10% water change, I'm still leaving 90% of that gunk in my tank.
The answer to that question can be very complex. However, in general without some means of export, sequestration or conversion, all of that stuff can become problematic in the tank.

It is hard to get a handle on what the balance needs to be when you are new and without context or experience. The skimmer provides a time tested and proven method of export and will get you through the next year or so as you wrap your head around how everything fits and works together with chemistry and biology. You may one day decide to go without the skimmer or water changes, etc.

In your case the skimmer and mechanical filter (roller mat) are both exporting compounds that will build up in your system. You could arguably do without one or the other, but as a new aquarist I would NOT go without the skimmer. You may or may not want to experiment with bypassing the roller filter at some point but leave it online for now.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do what I do. I don’t do water changes. And I don’t use a skimmer. I am not new though…just showing that those things aren’t absolutely needed, if you have knowledge and experience. Took a lot of time to figure out how to do this, and the tank was planned from the start to not need a skimmer or water changes.

D7E7C798-DAED-4DC9-8E3D-6673AA202BB2.jpeg

6B3A9D18-45C0-4C7E-899E-8492FD1D139D.jpeg

CCC44C26-24D1-4C76-B92F-10D24EDB87B3.jpeg

ED7A9EBE-C22F-47E1-8261-5D9CFAF15CCE.jpeg

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a skimmer on all my tanks since 1988. I've never gone without one.
I've used many many kinds and configurations and even made my own.
To me, it's my most important piece of equipment next to my return pump.
This is just my opinion.
With that said, there are lots of great tanks run without one and with one.
My advice always to those starting out is do your research and pick a fellow reefer you gel with, understand or is well spoken and learn from them, follow what they do and go from there.
Lots of seasoned reefers on here with many different ways they run their tanks all with success and using all kinds of different equipment to do so.
My tank is 10 years old, the rock twice that or more.
20240521_200237.jpg
I cleaned this yesterday.
I can't tell you if a skimmer is counterproductive to a mature reef tank or not or if I left whatever this smelly stuff is be in my tank but it makes me feel just fine to dump and clean this cup twice a week. ;)

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that I'm learning more about reefing and how a skimmer works, I'm wondering how do tanks actually go more mature and survive without a skimmer.? I mean, my skimmer is taking out all this yellow gunk from my tank on a daily basis. If didn't have that skimmer like a lot of people don't have skimmers then what happens to all that yellow gunk? would not having a protein skimmer just make me more of a slave to water changes? Even then, if I took out a 10% water change, I'm still leaving 90% of that gunk in my tank.
it would get consumed by the Chaeto that a lot of people have in their refugiums or serve as a source of food to coral in an established tank.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would get consumed by the Chaeto that a lot of people have in their refugiums or serve as a source of food to coral in an established tank.
Funniest part being refigiums existed in the 80s. Weren't called refigiums. Just tubs with caulerpa. Don't recall chaeto back then and caulerpa had it's issues and then ATS came out but were at the time way too expensive and cumbersome. Aeration aside. Can't see a valid reason to run a skimmer. Plus the natural reduction of pollutants sends back base lost during nitrification requiring less buffer.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang thats a lot of rock! lol

Do you have any sand in that sump? Was planning to run a refugium at some point so added some to mind and might now be changing my mind...
Sorry I just saw the question. I do not have sand. I was going to add it but didn't feel like buying a bag. Its all old live rock much of it from the ocean before it got so expensive.
These are my skimmers lol
PXL_20240522_134938315.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so many skimmers. where are the fish

Some fish are here
image.jpg

Some here
image.jpg

The rest are in a tank in the bedroom. The skimmers use much less electricity where they are now and the tanks do just as well with them where they are ;) I did like many when I started and thought skimmers were needed to be succesful.

It’s Skimmer Only With Live Rock tank “SOWLR”

Some people collect corals, he collects skimmers
No live rock so it's just a SO tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer no skimmer all depends on your bioload. Vintage uses an ats but doesnt keep many fish so a skimmer isn't needed nor waterchanges a big deal. I have 17 fish in a 75 mixxed reef that i feed heavily and use a skimmer an ats and do waterchanges. My phos stays around .1-.2 and nitrates around 20. I stop any 1 of the 3 which I have tried and tank suffers. So what filtration you need is all very dependent on the type of tank you run.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer no skimmer all depends on your bioload. Vintage uses an ats but doesnt keep many fish so a skimmer isn't needed nor waterchanges a big deal. I have 17 fish in a 75 mixxed reef that i feed heavily and use a skimmer an ats and do waterchanges. My phos stays around .1-.2 and nitrates around 20. I stop any 1 of the 3 which I have tried and tank suffers. So what filtration you need is all very dependent on the type of tank you run.

This is true. I have 7 fish in my 75. If I had 17 it might be a different story. However with the anthias and tang I am feeding 4 cubes a day already

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm surprised no one has mentioned water clarity. Skimmers remove dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) which tend to effect water clarity.

I'm a big fan of skimmers. In my opinion, skimmers also offer a bit of a safety net and let you push the envelop slightly when it comes to bioload (aka fish). Although not necessarily a required piece of equipment, I've always found their benefits outweigh the negatives, more so on a mature system (bigger fish).

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are here
image.jpg

Some here
image.jpg

The rest are in a tank in the bedroom. The skimmers use much less electricity where they are now and the tanks do just as well with them where they are ;) I did like many when I started and thought skimmers were needed to be succesful.

No live rock so it's just a SO tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
beautiful setup though. What are the bc tank dimensions of the tank on the bottom?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I love my scammer now I mean first it was a scammer but now it's a skimmer and I love it. Only thing is I'm very low on nutrients. Apparently I have zero phosphate and I've been told to turn the skimmer off or actually keep the skimmer on, but turn the valve open, which I've been doing.

Badblackdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at first I hated that protein skimmer, I called it the protein scammer. Firstly LFS installed it wrong and forgot to put a rubber gasket at the water inlet, so it sounded like my GT Mustang engine. it was very loud from day one and I just not knowing about reef tanks thought that protein skimmers were loud. I put a DIY gasket and now the skimmer thunderous noise is goneI just used adhesive felt to wrap around the pump/water inlet area and is now is very quiet. I don't understand how the knuckle installing my tank could've missed putting the gasket on the skimmer, but whatever. It does such a great job sucking up bad water. I have this compulsion to measure the skim waste water versus the tank water. The skim water is tested using my 10 and 1 strips and always tests high in nitrite and nitrate. And then I take the same type strip and test my actual tank, which shows very low nitrate and nitrate. Great right? But I want my tank to mature like anyone else, it's just the beginning phase, past the initial cycle of six weeks. I did everything to get it cycle quickly as I could, using live rock, live sand, and everything else they tell you to put in. And it did fine it cycled I have no ammonia no nitrates no nitrates and haven't for a few weeks But I'm wondering whether my skimmer might be scamming the maturity of my tank or may do so in the long run? could a skimmer doing its job so well make it longer for me to get Coraline? I just would like to know because I don't know, when I remove the waste water it's all yellow stuff full of nitrates and nitrates but what else is in there that might be good for maturing tank?.
I moved an 80 gallon RedSea system in march. I kept the sand bed and about half the water. I used cycled rock from my LFS. I ran the Red Sea skimmer 24/7. I was impressed with how much nastiness it took out of the tank. However, I could not get readable phosphates or nitrates. So of course, I had terrible algae problems. I turned off the skimmer completely about three weeks ago. I really think the skimmer was too much filtration for the light bio-load I have in the tank currently. This morning, my phosphates tested .8 on an Hannah checker and my nitrates are still zero on a Salifert test kit. I think I’m getting bad results from the Salifert test kit. I am buying a Hanna Nitrate checker this week. My algae issues have improved and I expect them to get better as I get the nitrates up. Also, I have been running a mean green UV filter and I do believe that has made a big difference as well. Good luck.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I love my scammer now I mean first it was a scammer but now it's a skimmer and I love it. Only thing is I'm very low on nutrients. Apparently I have zero phosphate and I've been told to turn the skimmer off or actually keep the skimmer on, but turn the valve open, which I've been doing.

Skimmers do not directly remove nitrate or phosphate and are not typically a huge factor in nutrient control. I would not choose to use one or not use one based on nutrient issues.

Back