PSA - Red Dragon Acro does NOT like TLF Revive!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m new to SPS so maybe this is a known thing.

I got a Red Dragon acro frag from TG along with over a dozen other corals (including a couple of other acros). They all got a 15 minute Revive dip when they arrived (and were re-glued on rubble). The Red Dragon was bleached by the next morning. I was super bummed because it’s one of my grails :(

I spoke with TG and they mentioned the Red Dragon in particular is very sensitive to stuff like that. Wish I would have known that but maybe my experience can help somebody else.

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is going to get me banned or kicked out but I have stopped dipping acros immediately after shipping. I have a 20 gallon quarantine system that they go into for a few days after receiving and then they get dipped before going into my display. It has saved me a lot of pain and suffering.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is going to get me banned or kicked out but I have stopped dipping acros immediately after shipping. I have a 20 gallon quarantine system that they go into for a few days after receiving and then they get dipped before going into my display. It has saved me a lot of pain and suffering.

I wish I had the space for that! I might be able to set up a temporary holding tank that I tear down after each use. But I’m not sure if that would be any better.

Do you try to replicate your tank lighting in your holding tank?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wish I had the space for that! I might be able to set up a temporary holding tank that I tear down after each use. But I’m not sure if that would be any better.

Do you try to replicate your tank lighting in your holding tank?
It doesn’t have to be quite as potent or elaborate and actually a little bit less light for a few days after shipping is not a bad thing. When I transfer them to my main display they go onto frag racks that are lower in the tank so they don’t get shocked from the lights and then I move them up if I don’t want to restart the light acclimation cycle for my lights.

I have a black bock light over my Coral QT which provides some PAR but somewhere around 150-200.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t dip corals after they arrive when shipped.

They are so stressed from shipping that dipping can push them over the edge.

You should dip them after they settle in the tank. Best to use an acclimation/QT tank set up.

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typical dips that use essential oils like revive and coral RX are generally very harsh on the coral. I would not recommend you to use those on any newly shipped corals.

If you do choose to dip immediately upon reception, your best bet would be to use KCl, potassium chloride. This is a much gentler dip on the coral and appears to be remove the majority of common pests.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready for this? I never dip anything or QT anything. Oh and I never l acclimate anything either. Still going strong all these years boys!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ready for this? I never dip anything or QT anything. Oh and I never l acclimate anything either. Still going strong all these years boys!
People yell and get mad about all sorts of things on here… Did not mean that you’re yelling or getting mad just that sometimes opinions are taken negatively! I like to QT my corals after having issues with zoa eating nudibranches. Took a bit of work to eradicate them. I don’t dip anything for the most part and just observe for a couple of days prior to putting things in DT. But I do light acclimate quite a bit. Have been having more fun since stuff stopped dying on me!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to SPS so maybe this is a known thing.

I got a Red Dragon acro frag from TG along with over a dozen other corals (including a couple of other acros). They all got a 15 minute Revive dip when they arrived (and were re-glued on rubble). The Red Dragon was bleached by the next morning. I was super bummed because it’s one of my grails :(

I spoke with TG and they mentioned the Red Dragon in particular is very sensitive to stuff like that. Wish I would have known that but maybe my experience can help somebody else.

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg
I will say that red dragon is one of the most finicky corals I’ve ever had! Very hard to acclimate to your tank but once you get past that it will take off like a weed in your tank! I’ve gotten frags and they start to peel after a couple days and you gotta keep fragging it till it chills out then watch out!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip all of my SPS in Revive and never had any issues...including my Red Dragon. On a side note, if it is one of your grail corals (I see you are in Ohio), I have a volleyball sized colony for sale lol.

sunnysidecoral

Sunnyside Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Dragon can be super touchy! With Red Dragon and any acro we have seen the most success with Bayer Advanced 2-way formula. It is not as hard on the corals but still does a great job of killing any hitch hikers. Be careful not to use the new complete version as they changed the formula and it will kill corals. The one I linkedIn is what we use.

Here is a little more info on how we use it if interested.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back