Pvc glue?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im new to pvc, and i was glueing and priming inside the fitting only, and inserting the pipe i wasnt priming and glueing outside the pipe as wellWould that leak or cause issues?

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never primed just glued the inside of the coupling and the outer of the pipe.. no issues..just let the solvents evaporate before using them

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im new to pvc, and i was glueing and priming inside the fitting only, and inserting the pipe i wasnt priming and glueing outside the pipe as wellWould that leak or cause issues?
If you cut the pipe square and rammed it home to seat properly I guess you’ll be ok.

Edit - I also don’t bother with primer

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium joints don’t need to handle any meaningful pressure. I only put glue on one side (but prime both sides) and it seems many people don’t use primer. If you used enough glue and held the pieces together while the glue set you should be fine.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium joints don’t need to handle any meaningful pressure. I only put glue on one side (but prime both sides) and it seems many people don’t use primer. If you used enough glue and held the pieces together while the glue set you should be fine.
I didn’t unfortunately hold the pieces together after. I was glueing the adapters for the roller matt..

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpeg
    IMG_2403.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cut the pipe square and rammed it home to seat properly I guess you’ll be ok.

Edit - I also don’t bother with primer
I honesty new to pvc. I didnt realize u have to hold the fitting and the pipe for 30 seconds. I was glueing those. Added glue and prime on the inside of the fitting and put the pipe in. But i didnt hold them to bond.

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpeg
    IMG_2403.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 24

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@charbel101 really can’t tell you what to do on this. Maybe if there was enough force between the pieces they bonded without you holding them. But I can’t say good or bad on the joint. Sry

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back