Quanta Lights Review.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in April I Purchased 2, 2' Quanta Pro Reef Crest daylight; 1, 3' Quanta pro Tropic sun because one led light was not cutting it for my reef aquarium. They came in within the first week of ordering and looked nice and sleek. I installed them under my canopy; the thought of adding fans never crossed my mind until a couple months later when one of the LED strips failed. (User Error)
I reached out to customer service and explained my predicament, so they advised me to install some fans. They furthermore replaced my Quanta pro light strip.
I am satisfied with my order; glad I chose them because of their par output and spread for one of the cheaper options out there. They add a really nice POP to my corals and makes my Maxima clam look absolutely Beautiful.

Tank dimensions: 48" x 24" x 24"
120 gallon high.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you get 2' and 3' for a 4' tank?

I like mine. I have the reef crest as well and he says it is 18k but thats hard to believe. I have 2 kessils that are 10k to 20k at 30% color which would be around 17k and they are way bluer. Think its more like 11k or something pretty white. That being said i think my corals are digging it. They seem to be growing quicker. Here is how i mounted it
an2_20230727_084735_0.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like mine. I have the reef crest as well and he says it is 18k but thats hard to believe. I have 2 kessils that are 10k to 20k at 30% color which would be around 17k and they are way bluer. Think its more like 11k or something pretty white. That being said i think my corals are digging it. They seem to be growing quicker. Here is how i mounted it
Well actually you can't compare it that way.. Kessil lists it at 10000k to "actinic".

NOBODY actually has 20000K. It is just a marketing term.
Matter of fact most light sources past 14000k are err "suspect" as to their actual k temp.
Here is some history...things are not much better.. :)
https://reefs.com/magazine/product-...f-250w-mogul-base-metal-halide-lamps-part-ii/

Conclusion:​

As seen from the data and plots, there is wide variation among the lamps and the use of CCT to designate the lamps is pretty much meaningless given that the spectral plots are often very similar yet the lamps are being sold with different color temperatures. Hopefully this article will help the aquarist in separating fact from advertising hype !!
so as a comparison the now defunct PFO 13000k measures 33420K on an m58 ballast. :eek:
Point is they could measure well beyond 20000k
Radium 20000K is "off the charts" as to k temp.
I suspect so is Kessils "20000k"

Point is there is no linear relationship with the color wheel.
I think Quantas are probably closer to their stated value than most commercial lights are.
There probably are exceptions.

Last thing, mostly for curiosity... If I started with a 250W Ushio true 14000k bulb all I would have to add is 1000mW (1W actual but 2 watts physical) of a royal blue led to make it "score" approx 18000K.
1.5w photon watts (3w in actuality) hits a "true" 20000k temp.

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quanta has been out of stock on the 4' LED light strips for quite some time, so I decided to go with the smaller options for more spread. They might have some at the moment, but I haven't checked in a while.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in April I Purchased 2, 2' Quanta Pro Reef Crest daylight; 1, 3' Quanta pro Tropic sun because one led light was not cutting it for my reef aquarium. They came in within the first week of ordering and looked nice and sleek. I installed them under my canopy; the thought of adding fans never crossed my mind until a couple months later when one of the LED strips failed. (User Error)
I reached out to customer service and explained my predicament, so they advised me to install some fans. They furthermore replaced my Quanta pro light strip.
I am satisfied with my order; glad I chose them because of their par output and spread for one of the cheaper options out there. They add a really nice POP to my corals and makes my Maxima clam look absolutely Beautiful.

Tank dimensions: 48" x 24" x 24"
120 gallon high.
I very much appreciate the support. Thank you!

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I appreciate the feedback. As another poster mentioned, I abide strictly by my spectrometer data. My hopocolor does not register a Kelvin rating due to it being so blue. If I sold a 10k light people would hate it oit would be considered pure white! But I found a place in Canada that had specialized equipment and they rated my light at 18k.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the feedback. As another poster mentioned, I abide strictly by my spectrometer data. My hopocolor does not register a Kelvin rating due to it being so blue. If I sold a 10k light people would hate it oit would be considered pure white! But I found a place in Canada that had specialized equipment and they rated my light at 18k.

Not sure all people would. Sunlight at the oceans surface is around 65k. Some people like the more natural look. But agreed most people want to see the fluerescent colors on their colors instead of looking more brown like the natural sunlight makes it look.

Im probably gonna snatch up the mesa blue at some point. Just gotta figure out how to mount it.

Btw that reef crest makes my fish look fantastic. The colors really pop on them.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to resurrect this post after installing both of my Quanta Pro Meso Blues this weekend. First off, they were buy one get one 50% off which was fantastic. They were already well priced. Luca answered every question I threw at him in a timely fashion and best of all, these lights are really nice. I had a set of lights that look similar and replaced them with these (Comon, you know what they are). The color pop is great and they very bright but it was the spread that impressed me the most. They look more like a tube light than an LED strip. Mine sit about 4" in on a 25" deep tank and the whole tank is blanketed. Anyway it seems like we all read more complaints than praises so I thought I would throw this out there. It seems like a one man or small business operation so the company should get a shoutout for doing things right. Now let the clock begin to see how long I can get out of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back