Questions about 3 corals

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I didn't want to make 3 separate posts about each coral, so I just piled everyone in here.

I'm a newb, and my tank is about 4 months old. Most of the corals in my tank seem to be doing well. It's a 150 gallon tank with 8 small-ish frags, and one medium small (I guess?) torch. Everyone seems to be doing mostly ok. Fish seems happy, and I think my torch has grown some. I have Ca and Alk on dosing pumps, so they're relatively stable. The Alk has been creeping up over the last few weeks, so I just dialed back the Alk dosing today. I had some 0.0 nitrate time periods over the last few weeks, but I dosed some Neonitro and added a fox face, and now my nitrates have come back up. I had a bunch of what I think was green cyanobacteria, and most of that has receded.

I started feeding everyone reef rods a couple weeks ago, and most everyone has been doing well in response to that. I think my blasto has been growing, and maybe the acan has too, and I think the torch is liking it too.

First up: this sad candy cane. I didn't realize how bad it really was until I was gathering photos for this post. He's lost a a lot of tissue. What's up with this? The before photo is from about a month ago. The after is from today.

last month:
candy-before-6998.jpg
today:
coral-stacks--2.jpg

Next up is a Jackolantern Leptoseris. My only concern with it is that parts of it are not fluorescing as well as they did a few weeks ago. There are some spots that just look a little dull. Does he look ok? I tried to put him in a lower light section of my tank with maybe a little less flow.
coral-stacks-.jpg

Are these some kind of parasite coming out of it?
lepto-7638.jpg lepto-7663.jpg

Lastly, is an Acan. He's not quite as fluffy as he was about a month ago. What's that red thing on the plug? Is that a vermetid snail? Do I need to kill whatever it is?

coral-stacks--3.jpg

Other inhabitants:
  • 2 clowns
  • 1 firefish
  • 1 royal gramma
  • 1 fox face
  • 1 cleaner shrimp
  • ~10 snails
Paramaters:
  • Nitrate 3.6 ppm (Hanna Checker)
  • Phostphate 0.19 ppm (Hanna Checker)
  • Magnesium 1430 ppm (Hanna Checker)
  • Alkalinity 9.8 dKH (Hanna Checker)
  • Calcium 380 ppm (Red Sea kit)
  • Salinity 1.024 SG (Hanna conductivity tester pen)
Thanks!!
Brett

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is still new and getting established.

The swings have caused the corals to suffer.

Stable parameters will help them heal.

1st one is on it's way out I'm afraid. It still has a chance but with how new your tank is, it doesn't have a good chance with the changes still happening. Especially withing the 1st 6 months.

2nd one is just algea that has grown on ares that have receded.

Acan ther is no picture attached but I'm guessing the same issue.

J_C_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I didn't want to make 3 separate posts about each coral, so I just piled everyone in here.

I'm a newb, and my tank is about 4 months old. Most of the corals in my tank seem to be doing well. It's a 150 gallon tank with 8 small-ish frags, and one medium small (I guess?) torch. Everyone seems to be doing mostly ok. Fish seems happy, and I think my torch has grown some. I have Ca and Alk on dosing pumps, so they're relatively stable. The Alk has been creeping up over the last few weeks, so I just dialed back the Alk dosing today. I had some 0.0 nitrate time periods over the last few weeks, but I dosed some Neonitro and added a fox face, and now my nitrates have come back up. I had a bunch of what I think was green cyanobacteria, and most of that has receded.

I started feeding everyone reef rods a couple weeks ago, and most everyone has been doing well in response to that. I think my blasto has been growing, and maybe the acan has too, and I think the torch is liking it too.

First up: this sad candy cane. I didn't realize how bad it really was until I was gathering photos for this post. He's lost a a lot of tissue. What's up with this? The before photo is from about a month ago. The after is from today.

last month:
candy-before-6998.jpg
today:
coral-stacks--2.jpg

Next up is a Jackolantern Leptoseris. My only concern with it is that parts of it are not fluorescing as well as they did a few weeks ago. There are some spots that just look a little dull. Does he look ok? I tried to put him in a lower light section of my tank with maybe a little less flow.
coral-stacks-.jpg

Are these some kind of parasite coming out of it?
lepto-7638.jpg lepto-7663.jpg

Lastly, is an Acan. He's not quite as fluffy as he was about a month ago. What's that red thing on the plug? Is that a vermetid snail? Do I need to kill whatever it is?

Other inhabitants:
  • 2 clowns
  • 1 firefish
  • 1 royal gramma
  • 1 fox face
  • 1 cleaner shrimp
  • ~10 snails
Paramaters:
  • Nitrate 3.6 ppm (Hanna Checker)
  • Phostphate 0.19 ppm (Hanna Checker)
  • Magnesium 1430 ppm (Hanna Checker)
  • Alkalinity 9.8 dKH (Hanna Checker)
  • Calcium 380 ppm (Red Sea kit)
  • Salinity 1.024 SG (Hanna conductivity tester pen)
Thanks!!
Brett
I'm no expert since I'm new in the hobby but I had kind of the same issue with my acans,what I started doing was dosing Redsea Reef Energy+ mixed with reef roids and since doing that the tissue on my acans started to get fluffier. I hope this info helps

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see anything to be worried about with the acan frag plug with that red spot.

Watch it and see if it grows.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back