R2R MY MIAMI Chalice Giveaway!! Winner picked!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High intensity discharge lighting or H.I.D.'s offer the most lumen's per watt then other types of lighting. The most common lighting used to grow coral is H.I.D.'s , high output fluorescent's , and L.E.D.'s , all of these lights have proven to grow coral under certain circumstance. H.I.D.'s have a longer life span and maintain there original output longer then the other lights mentioned. L.E.D.'s or light emitting diodes are some what new to the aquarium world and have mixed reviews on grow results. L.E.D.'s boast high lumen's per watt , low cost to run , little to no heat output , and triple the life span of H.I.D.'s. Only time will tell if L.E.D.'s will surpass H.I.D.'s as the reefers choice of lighting.

Last edited:

DennisW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS and LPS are not common terms in the biology/marine scientific world. They are terms coined by us, the hobbyists in the aquarium keeping hobby.

Dennis

flapjack

Just a guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CopperBanded Butterfly fish are usefull in controlling aptasia.

kams56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vodka dosing is a clever way to get rid of phosphates in a tank

Ibassfsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All reefers are willing to help a fellow reefer in time of need. I know of no other hobby that people come together so quickly to help one another out.

Blueshorts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunicates are suspension feeders in the phylum chordata. Some tunicates are actually mislabeled as sponges such as the tiger sponge

clcampuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can be a reefer

With today's technologies and the availability of easy to keep coral even the novice can have a successful reef aquarium. Start with a good reef forum and an idea of what you want and you are on your way.

thomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thomb’s first law of ballvalves

The ease in which a PVC ball valve may be turned is inversely proportional to its size. If the desired position is off, multiply effort X2.
If speed is of the essence, multiply effort X5

Sula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If an anemone is unhappy with it's environment, it is likely to begin moving around your tank to find a better spot - and may sting and kill the corals in its path.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the more water that a system has,the more time you have to correct a potential problem with less stress on the inhabitants......test water regularly(and keep notes if you're forgetful like me)to see that everything is where it should be,if not,gradually take steps to correct it...don't panic and rush into anything

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium is a very important element that is often over looked with SPS coral husbandry.
Although necessary for all sceractinians, corals of the Montipora and the Pocilloporadae family (stylophora, seriatopora, pocillopora) in particular seem to use it in even more abundance than acropora.
Low potassium levels can often be a cause of RTN/STN.

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Black sand are magnetic so be careful of magnets in your tank.

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Formaldehyde dip may be a treatment for some fish diseases.

dman17878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though Crosshatch triggers are planktivores they will still eat flame wrasses :sad:

soulsigma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Physical filtration and water flow play a vital role in a successful reef tank

Make sure you have enough physical filtration and that the water flow in the tank is sufficient to aerate the water.

Make sure you have enough filtration to physically filter the water. Just make sure it's enough to keep the water aerated, clear and generally free of sediment. An additional powerhead is recommended for most tanks for optimal water circulation. Activated carbon or a synthetic adsorbent to polish the water is optional. You can also use phosphate remover if phosphates are high. Also, for those occasional water changes and top offs use a good water conditioner or clean water purified with a 3 or 4 stage water filter.

Last edited:

ReefEscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have phosphate and nitrate in your tank even if your water tests won't reveal it. Cyano and algea can "use it up" and give you a false zero reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back