R2R Reef of the Month Spotlight: Rob's 300g Deep Dimension - January 2018

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning Tank!! I love the look of carefully selected huge colonies, you are right that the look isn't as popular anymore, but I'll help you bring it back!

I was wondering about your 0.38 Phosphate reading. What do you use to test that? Has it been that high for a while? Do you have any algae problems? How often do you clean the glass?
My tank seems to do better when I don't try and be too controlling with phosphate levels, but I find constant reminders that higher phosphate levels than 0.03 are okay to be very helpful :)

Thank you! And thank you for the great write-up!
Whiskey
Hi Whiskey,

Sorry for the late reply, been really busy. I use Hanna and it's always reads high when I do test. I clean the glass 1-2 times per week. But I do not have any visible nuisance algae in the tank. I do feed heavy on the daily, I think I'm at the point where my ionic balance is on point and my system is working on overdrive. Another thing I need to point out is that my corals are well adapted to the environment I provide and never have any rtn or stn events.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BePkb2AgHZ1/

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one awesome tank, i am building a 300 g tank that i can only hope to be as nice as yours... great work

i just started my build as my house is being built so any help would be great, also i will be looking out for your new build

my thread:
300 House and Reef build
Subscribed!

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank for sure, I miss the 2’ foot colonies but it’s just a matter of time.

I’ll need to check out the build thread to see if you have a pick of the rock work before it all filed in.

Does your goldflake snack on the polyps very much? I had to get rid of mine a few weeks ago, it grazed all day on my acros but I was lucky to find a quoyi parrot and is a really cool add.

Congrats on such a healthy well stocked SPS tank!

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank for sure, I miss the 2’ foot colonies but it’s just a matter of time.

I’ll need to check out the build thread to see if you have a pick of the rock work before it all filed in.

Does your goldflake snack on the polyps very much? I had to get rid of mine a few weeks ago, it grazed all day on my acros but I was lucky to find a quoyi parrot and is a really cool add.

Congrats on such a healthy well stocked SPS tank!
Yeah, gold flake, regal, bandit, golden dwarf all nip. But don't do much damage need to keep them well fed

Simonsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH ****! This was some real eye candy! Good job!!

Love the mix of the rare fish and SPS! ;Woot

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Whiskey,

Sorry for the late reply, been really busy. I use Hanna and it's always reads high when I do test. I clean the glass 1-2 times per week. But I do not have any visible nuisance algae in the tank. I do feed heavy on the daily, I think I'm at the point where my ionic balance is on point and my system is working on overdrive. Another thing I need to point out is that my corals are well adapted to the environment I provide and never have any rtn or stn events.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BePkb2AgHZ1/
No worries Robert! Thank you for getting back to me!
That's an interesting take on why the lack of algae. My own phosphate is about 0.14 and the only time I have issues with coral health is when I really try and do something about that. I also don't have algae (knock on wood) and I clean the glass with about the same frequency.

Thank you! And keep up the great work!
Whiskey

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your refugium? Do you think the Macr0 + Mud was influential in your reefkeeping success or are you doing it for the microfauna and stuff?

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your refugium? Do you think the Macr0 + Mud was influential in your reefkeeping success or are you doing it for the microfauna and stuff?
Yes, I haven't done it no other way to be honest. Here is a pic of one my first Reef Tank I took between 1996-98. And every tank after that, I had a refugium. My fuge now in my DT is around a 40g section of a 100g sump.
5c37b07a8f3072d20e32e7726fb00829.jpg

Last edited:

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is stunning Robert! I am so happy to see ONE person has had a good long run with this 300DD tank! I want to upgrade to one but it is so scary when every other story is about how they blow seams! :( Beautiful reef!

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is stunning Robert! I am so happy to see ONE person has had a good long run with this 300DD tank! I want to upgrade to one but it is so scary when every other story is about how they blow seams! :( Beautiful reef!
Thanks. Only horror story I've read was Mike and Terry custom 300dd few years ago. Mine is built like a tank, also on a stand I built. Held up very well.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back