Raising Alk and Ca

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I have a quick question regarding raising calcium and alk. So my alkalinity has been hovering around 7.0 dKH and calcium around 320-330ppm. My question is how do I raise the numbers just a little bit higher? I have a 20g tank, that has no sps in it and the coral has been fine as of now. I’ve heard about using AFR, 2 part dosing, and water changes but I just get a little confused about which is the best method or which would be more suitable for a tank my size and what is currently stocked. Thanks everyone!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use Baking Soda for alkalinity. I don't have calcium issues - usually up around 490 - so I don't do anything with that.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BRS calcium chloride for calcium
BRS soda ash(sodium carbonate) or sodium bicarbonate for alkalinity

i use both to dose ALK/CAL to my system based on a dosing calculator(i don't have it on hand because i use another calculator, but hopefully another reefer can link to it). perhaps @Randy Holmes-Farley can link you to it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Baking Soda for alkalinity. I don't have calcium issues - usually up around 490 - so I don't do anything with that.
Do you have a container with the water and baking soda mixed together or how are you dosing the baking soda?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have a container with the water and baking soda mixed together or how are you dosing the baking soda?
I add it to some fresh water in a small container and shake well and then slowly pour it in front of my return pump. I'm usually only adding a teaspoon or so every week or two.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add it to some fresh water in a small container and shake well and then slowly pour it in front of my return pump. I'm usually only adding a teaspoon or so every week or two.
Ok cool cool, that helps a lot!

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while not the cheapest option

Red Sea foundation. It’s like made for dummies. It’s like 1 ml for 1 ppm for 25 gallons. It’s actually so easy to dose

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have a container for each element i dose. usually glass bottles or dark colored jugs to avoid any light from degrading or promoting algae growth if contaminated.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back