Randal's 150 gallon upgrade

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started dosing 2 part this weekend to get my parameters up to where they should be. Over 3 days I dosed 800ml of calcium chloride solution and 26 oz of magnesium mix solution. I haven't done anything yet with Alkalinity because I'm not sure I'm getting reliable results with the red sea test. When I am performing the test, the color goes from blue to an almost clear green color to a pale orange and it just gets a little darker as I add more reagent, it never gets red. I thought it was very hard to get a reliable result, at what shade of orange do I stop? Then I found these two videos.

One shows the the color change exactly the way mine behaves...

and the other video shows what apparently is the correct way the test is supposed to behave...

According to the videos, I have a bad alkalinity test kit and I need to contact Red Sea for a replacement. Has anyone else seen this before? I guess I'll call Red Sea this evening and see what they have to say. I'll post back here what I find out.

Anyway, before dosing, my calcium was 320 and my magnesium was 1160. Last night my parameters where, calcium 400 and Magnesium 1360. I use a 5 gallon jug for ATO, so I added the suggested minimum kalk ratio of 1/2 tsp per gallon to the container and hooked it up. I'll test again tonight to see how things are going.

I have this same issue. Did new reagent help or no?

OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that apex installed what you waiting on. Lol
LOL, you can bet that I'll install it just as soon as I can, I've been doing a little reading today at work ;)

It's spring and that always means a ton of work to get the yard cleaned up, flowers planted, grass mowed, etc... My wife and kids won't be happy when pool weather gets here if I don't have it ready. I didn't really have time to take the day off for the frag swap, but I MADE time.

Here is what it looked like last year, I still have a ways to go this year, but I'll finish it up in the next couple weeks.

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5704.JPG

novajohn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, you can bet that I'll install it just as soon as I can, I've been doing a little reading today at work ;)

It's spring and that always means a ton of work to get the yard cleaned up, flowers planted, grass mowed, etc... My wife and kids won't be happy when pool weather gets here if I don't have it ready. I didn't really have time to take the day off for the frag swap, but I MADE time.

Here is what it looked like last year, I still have a ways to go this year, but I'll finish it up in the next couple weeks.

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5704.JPG
Club meeting sometime? ?

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5704.JPG
MTRC annual pool party

OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really excited that I finally got my Apex setup. I hooked my Jebao RW15's up to an Apex/Jebao controller adapter and then setup a couple of different profiles to allow me to change the flow up a little during the night. I'm going to get a breakout box next and start playing around with automating as much stuff as I can.

The pictures aren't very good, but I did take a few of some of the coral I got at the frag swap.

BTW, if anyone has any tips or knows of a good tutorial on taking pictures under the blue LEDs, I sure would like to hear them. I have a fairly nice Canon 30D that I bought several years back with the intentions of getting into the photography world, but just never really committed the time to master it. Maybe one day.

Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone
IMG_0770.jpg

Garf Bonzai
IMG_0771.jpg

Unknown name, terrible picture, but it looks much better in person. It's got these really bright blue tips with a slight purple body.
IMG_0772.jpg

Pink Lemonaid Acro
IMG_0774.jpg

Another unknown
IMG_0779.jpg

Cali Tort
IMG_0780.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back