Random debate on food

reeferchan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently gotten into an argument with a friend about what happens with food in a tank. The argument is that if I put a thawed cube of emerald entree in my tank does most of that food end up settling in the tank. Like most of it sits on the sand bed and gets in the rocks and aqua scape. Or does 90% or more of it just end up completely sucked up into the filter sock. Friend believes that it’s a waste of time feeding something like emerald entree because it’s 100% getting all sucked into the filter sock. I think that most of it ends up settling and why would they sell something that doesn’t feed your tank. Just wanted some opinions and to call my friend dumb.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you're feeding the fish, they'll probably get to it before the overflow does. Unless it's floating on the water, most of it should end up in the fish. But you can always turn your return pump off for 10 minutes during feeding to minimize this even further.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cube of emerald entree in my tank would get swarmed by fish, crabs, shrimp, and worms pretty fast. Also my flow is low, so little of it would get skimmed/filtered before the critters did their thing.
I guess if you pre mix it, and spread it into the water in a system with high flow and high turnover, you might move a decent portion to the sump and filter sock before stuff ate it.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me its impossible to say with the information offered.
things you can do to improve your odds:
-cut your return pump off when feeding
-if you're offering the entire cube, feed in stages to ensure the fish are getting to it before it gets to the bottom or overflow.
-some like to use a feeding ring to contain the way the food gets broadcasted.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really is no way to prove one or the other that I can think of. When I have fed emerald entre my tangs ate it pretty quickly. My Gals mother once told me with a strong southern drawl "you believe what you wanna believe and I'll beleive what I wanna believe" feel free to use the line on your friend :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently gotten into an argument with a friend about what happens with food in a tank. The argument is that if I put a thawed cube of emerald entree in my tank does most of that food end up settling in the tank. Like most of it sits on the sand bed and gets in the rocks and aqua scape. Or does 90% or more of it just end up completely sucked up into the filter sock. Friend believes that it’s a waste of time feeding something like emerald entree because it’s 100% getting all sucked into the filter sock. I think that most of it ends up settling and why would they sell something that doesn’t feed your tank. Just wanted some opinions and to call my friend dumb.
You got a lot of opinions so I’m here just to call your friend dumb. Get new friends and I would look for someone who likes to hang out at fish stores and coral swaps. Those people tend to be very smart and they have very large IQ’s. Gl

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back